If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dead Island Impression - E3 2011

risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title -RPGamer Staff
edited June 2011 in Latest Updates
There is some controversy among RPGamers about whether or not Dead Island is actually an RPG. We spent plenty of time with the game at E3, but you'll have to read our impression to find out the real scoop.

-Impression Link

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    Sounds pretty interesting! I'd try it out, but I still hate zombie movies. No dice, I'm afraid...
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited June 2011
    ...presumably if the site is providing coverage, it's close enough.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2011
    Me likey. I will definitely get this if I get a PS3 or updated laptop before it comes out.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    Sounds pretty interesting! I'd try it out, but I still hate zombie movies. No dice, I'm afraid...
    Hi-5! I'm not a zombie fan, either, and Dead Island looks particularly gory. Good news for fans of that kind of thing, I guess. :-p
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    Rebochan said:
    ...presumably if the site is providing coverage, it's close enough.

An impression doesn't necessarily mean we'll cover it, or that we won't remove coverage later. Ico, Epic Mickey, yadda.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited June 2011
    there seem to be more than enough rpg elements to cover it, so i hope the site will. the game looks really promising.

also, i didn't even know the game had rpg elements before this article, so kudos on the coverage. keep it up please :bigsmile:
    sup?
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    Maudren said:
    there seem to be more than enough rpg elements to cover it, so i hope the site will. the game looks really promising.

also, i didn't even know the game had rpg elements before this article, so kudos on the coverage. keep it up please :bigsmile:

The game is essentially Borderlands. The class systems, leveling, and how they divided their world into zones is the same as Borderlands. So I wouldn't worry to much about RPGamer covering it.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited June 2011
    risingsun said:
    The game is essentially Borderlands. The class systems, leveling, and how they divided their world into zones is the same as Borderlands. So I wouldn't worry to much about RPGamer covering it.

yeah i was thinking that based on the description in the article. borderlands is my third favorite game this gen (behind fallout 3 and red dead redemption) so this article got me really excited for dead island. :bigsmile:
    sup?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited June 2011
    risingsun said:
    The game is essentially Borderlands. The class systems, leveling, and how they divided their world into zones is the same as Borderlands
    Or Borderlands mixed with Killing Floor which I think has a character progression system, unlike Left 4 Dead?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    This game just shot up on my list. I was expecting something along the lines of Deadrising RPG with Left 4 Dead styled-multiplayer.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I think this will be awesome.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited June 2011
    The comparisons to Borderlands have put this firmly on my watchlist. My bank account is going to take a hammering over the coming months...
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I have a friend who is going to forcefully take me to the nearest gaming store to buy this when it comes out. Looks like September will be full of co-op fun :)
  • VarieVarie Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Initially I wasn't up for Dead Island. However the more I read it the more I think I need it... it's all for the zombies :(