If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

With Great Power: OOC

Comments

• KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited August 2011
    The reason we are doing these tests is to gain a better understanding of people's powers, which we plan on using in two ways. First, we want to make sure that no one character is way better than everyone else. For an unbalanced party, challenges will inevitably be scaled to be interesting for the strongest characters, and the other players will be unable to make a useful contribution while the star of the team takes care of everything. For a balanced party, missions can be challenging for everyone while not being impossible or excluding players. The second reason we want this understanding is to make leveling your characters easier. We will eventually be asking you how you want your characters to grow, and as Dei mentioned it will be much easier if things are not vague.

Now, we are not trying to make everyone completely even in every situation. That would be somewhat dull, admittedly. Some powers can be more offensive than others, so some people can win more straight-up fights than others. However, not every mission is going to be a straight-up fight. That would be just as dull. Characters with other applications should be useful in different situations. I think we should have been considering the non-combat potential of characters from the get-go, but at least I eventually posted something about it. Anyway, we are not making everyone completely the same. We are just making sure no one person blows everyone else out of the water, because that's less fun.

Finally, I'll say that these tests aren't "ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY" for the RPG. I said in the first post that we were going to be trying some experiments, and this is one of them. The idea was that if we did a little extra work now, things would be a lot smoother in the long run. If we do this right, players should feel good about their roles in the RPG, and should stay interested. However, if the majority of the players don't want to do this, tell us! The alternative is having me and GORN make arbitrations later on, but we would rather the players have some input as well.
    edited August 2011
    After talking to a few of the players, it sounds like we shouldn't do any more of these reviews. They are somewhat inefficient. Instead of having full write-ups for the remaining characters, GORN and I will be trying to contact the players about changes or clarifications. However, quite a few people are currently absent, and both of us are about to be as well. If you would like to discuss any characters you would like to see get revisions, go ahead, but we won't be asking people to make them for a while.
    edited August 2011
    Triple-post, as well as post #888 for me! Whoo!

We have sent PMs to a couple players that we would like to see make some serious additions. If you didn't get one, you're okay for now. For the people who were sent messages, you should make some clarification before posting in the actual game.

Speaking of which, GORN and I would like to start the story on August 23, or next Tuesday. Hopefully a large percentage of you will be available at that time. Before then, however, we would like to present you with a few rules that we are considering using. If they don't make sense we can clarify, and if they don't sound useful to most players we won't use them. Feedback would be nice before we start.

First, we would like to make general guidelines for the number of actions each character can make in combat. Basically, we want to avoid players taking things too far without giving others a chance to respond. With this kind of system, slow, stupid, or incapacitated characters would actually be limited in the number of things they could do, while faster and more skilled characters might be able to do more in the same amount of time. The bigger the difference in speed or ability, the more actions the superior would get against the inferior.

Next, we would like to include an incentive for combo-posts. If multiple players worked on one post, they could potentially gain additional actions in the form of combined attacks/abilities of their characters. For example, two separate fighters might get one action each, but by working together they might yield a total of three actions, one of which being a potent mix of powers. Getting more players in the post would result in further bonus actions. The success of each combination would be based on how often the move had been practiced or how well each of the characters knew each other.

Finally, we would like to set up a system in which control of characters could easily be moved under certain circumstances. Currently, our idea is that if a player doesn't post often enough, their characters are temporarily handed off to someone else that is interested in writing them. That person could then come back in a certain amount of time and easily reclaim their characters, but if they are gone too long the control might become less than temporary. If a player knows they are going to be gone for a while, they could also leave basic guides with someone for how they would like their characters to develop.

Those are our ideas. None of them are requirements for an RPG, but we think that they could make WGP run much better. These rules create fairness, promote teamwork, and prevent major time snags, respectively. We can elaborate on these before they become relevant to gameplay, but again, tell us if you don't care to see these rules in action. Actually, you could even suggest further rules that might help, but the main thing is that the majority must agree on them. I'll try not to get a quadruple-post before we start WGP.
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I think that works well enough. My only question would be how do you determine which characters are more "able" and how you quantify that "ableness" in post numbers.
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    This isn't going to be an exact science. Khan and I are basically going to look over the posts to make sure that people aren't having their characters do too much at once. We're aiming for realism (even though there's going to be some comedy), which means that a single player combo isn't reasonable. Plus, it's really annoying to have to write a post that has to mesh up with someone else's post just because their character did like 5 things against my character. This means that posts will probably be shorter (during combat, at least), but they should fit together and sort of flow more easily.
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I might be inactive for a while. Midterms are coming up and I need to study :nervous:. I'll just do what must be done after. :yes:
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Wheeeeeeee. Starting day, starting day, starting day!!
    que?
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Bolts wrote: »
    Wheeeeeeee. Starting day, starting day, starting day!!

/excited excited excited/ :glee:
    edited August 2011
    *tapping foot impatiently*
    que?
    edited August 2011
    Seems I need to clarify something about the costumes. For the heroes, the mask is part of the uniform, so most characters should be wearing theirs (apparently this is not in Prosperity's nature, so he's not wearing his). For the villains, I was unfortunately vague about how vague Thallis was. I didn't say whether or not he told anyone to come up with a costume. Assume that he didn't give any such command, and that your characters just know they're going to be meeting some other people to maybe plan some illegal activity. They might want to hide their identity, but probably not with crazy spandex just yet. Of course, it will soon be recommended to them that they obtain something that will be sure to make them remembered.
    edited September 2011
    We've moved on without introducing two players' characters, Suke's and Cl_Lunatic's. If you two still intend to play, please contact either GORN or myself before getting into the action. We would have handed your characters off temporarily, but you haven't established their personalities yet.
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Sorry, I'm here and I'm ready to play.
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited September 2011
    Use these blueprints for Green's house. I could try to immerse you in the story by erasing the names on the pictures, but I'm going to give credit for the things I steal. This is the design of some old house I found through Google.
    edited September 2011
    The Colonel's profile is up. One thing I should mention while I have your attention, Khan and I would like it if you didn't use real people, places (cities, states, countries, and landmarks are excluded from this rule), or products in your posts. A few might pop up here and there, but we'll try to keep it to a minimum.
    edited September 2011
    Not to be outdone by my co-host, I have added not one, but two new profiles, for Thallis and Washington Green. Green is a public figure, so most of the information on the profile would be available to or known by your characters. Thallis, however, is much less public, though he'll be around long enough that some more information might be added.
    edited September 2011
    Please note that I have editted the type of gun you all will use to the Beretta M9 .9 calliber pistol. Bolts has informed me that this is the standard pistol among the police and military. Also, when you think about it, .40 calliber is not something you want to start a beginner on.
    edited September 2011
    Just to point something out that's going on, Clix realized he would be too busy to post until Thursday, so for that time period he has given control of Ms. Filibuster to Dei. This is great, because it keeps things going. If you think you're going to be busy, consider finding someone to lend your characters to.
    edited September 2011
    I'm gonna be out of town Thursday - Sunday. Anybody want to take control of Noah and Bertrand while I'm gone?
    que?
  • icbmalariaicbmalaria Let Mom sleep Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Suke, you realize your character's name is Cassie, not Callie right? I wouldn't care but it's also the same name as my character, Cali. Might as well avoid confusion if we can.
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited September 2011
    ....Oooooh.

Wow. I was reading my sheet to remember my characters name, and I read Cali's right before and it messed with my brain.
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited September 2011
    @Bolts I could try doing it. The only reason I'm worried is that I'm not really sure how Bertie would react in a fight if it comes to that.
    edited September 2011
    He'll stick with the plan. Until the alarm goes off the most you'd have to do with him is "Bertrand sat silently in the bushes. Or at least as silently as a metal giant could." After that it's just charge through the front door and smash whatever gets in the way.

For Noah, just pretend it's Damien but with less cursing and hatred for everyone around him.
    que?
    edited September 2011
    Never said I'd have a problem w/ Noah. XD Damien being most of the reason for that.
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited September 2011
    There's a typhoon here and I might not be able to go online because I might lose power. Argh! Stupid typhoon..... -_-
    edited October 2011
    Oh, if any of you think of something that you want the secret sixth side of the Pentagon to have, go ahead and post your suggestions. I know some of your hero characters might want a vault of their own, so give that some thought.
    edited October 2011
    Name: Lance Goldenfield

Declared Allegiance: Overwhelmingly sides with good.

Birthplace: Seattle, Washington

Appearance: 6’2”, medium build with pepper hair and a clean shaven face. He works out though just enough to stay in good shape.

Civilian clothes: Mainly wears whatever his job entails, otherwise fairly normal clothes. T-shirts from races he has run and T-shirts from his son’s school. In colder months he tends to wear button-down shirts and long overcoats.

Superpowers: Mark-tracing: Lance can place a mark on anyone in his field of vision. This mark is impossible to remove by any other means than Lance’s death. Whenever the marked person comes within a mile’s radius of Lance in any direction, he immediately becomes aware of it and knows exactly where to find them and how to get to them. Once that person leaves the mile-radius, though, they disappear from Lance’s power’s perception. The mark is also noticeable to the marked person as well. When the marked person comes within a mile of Lance, their mark, a red crosshair, appears on the part of their body that Lance initially marked.

Other skills: Lance is a good runner and a capable marksman.

Personality: Lance is a good man through and through. His main concern is protection, whether toward the people of a city, an object he has been hired to protect, or his family. He tends to mark people only when he feels it is needed. He is a caring father and an over-all good citizen.

Ambitions: To live out the rest of his days in comfort and help remove crime from the streets. He would also like a promotion.

Background: I’m going to leave this mostly blank, as his background isn’t as important as his present.

Job(s): Currently working as the chief of guards at Washington Green’s estate housing the Faberge egg. He also works as a policeman but is fairly low rank, mostly acting as an event guard.

Relationships: He has a wife, Lillian Goldenfield, and a son, Peter Goldenfield; both of whom he cares for immensely.

Preferences: will fill in later, maybe
    edited October 2011
    envydei wrote: »
    Declared Allegiance: Overwhelmingly sides with good.

Birthplace: Seattle, Washington

Noah: ......Sonofa-
    que?
    edited October 2011
    huh. coincidence. He is much older than Noah though.
    edited October 2011
    New character up.

Oh, and just to clarify something, it's the legendary firey salamander, not the actual amphibian that he's referring to.
    edited October 2011
    I'm gonna move things along by Friday, at the latest. If you haven't decided what team you want to be on by then, Steele will.