If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

With Great Power: OOC

Comments

• KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Couple random bits. First, as of the last time I spoke to him, Suke was planning on changing Scar, giving him a new codename and power while retaining all of his other qualities. This is okay considering how early it is in the game. However, he hasn't been posting for Zookeeper, either. It's been long enough that we've decided that someone else should fill in for these characters. If you want to write either of them, PM us or post here. If nobody takes them, I will write for Zookeeper and GORN will write for Scar, though we probably won't be developing the characters very much. Suke, we would like you to check in with us before you start posting again.

Second, I will be removing the "Basic government combat training" from Redwood's profile. I put it there thinking he would have already spent some time with the government, but I've been writing him like he's new to everything. He should pick it up later, as should some other characters.
    edited October 2011
    Sorry guys, both GORN and myself have been pretty busy. The way my classwork is set up, my weekdays are basically shot. But it's the weekend now, so expect something from me tonight. I'll also try to be on AIM for most of Saturday and Sunday to answer any questions that might've come up.
    edited October 2011
    A couple things. First, envydei was not initially aware of Lance's level of authority. I believe he has edited his post.

Second, Zalera's post (as of me typing this) is moot. Essentially, Frostbite is doing too many things too quickly. I would say getting to the mansion in one post would be acceptable, but she shouldn't already be infiltrating it. Additionally, there isn't a "back wall" for her to climb. There is a tall metal fence, and looking at her profile I doubt she'd be able to just scale it like it was nothing. Even more additionally, I'm surprised that Catherine's personality is "gentle and caring," yet she would just straight-up freeze a person solid. That's not really a thing one normally lives through. Maybe freezing the air around his limbs so that he's stuck, but not dead. In addition to the additional additions, she should not be able to conjure up thick walls of ice at this point. The ice can't just appear, she has to pull it out of the moisture in the air. Unless it's raining and she's got a lot to work with, a thin sheet is about as far as I'm willing to go with that. No impenetrable walls. This needs to be cleared up or removed.

Third, I think Onoma did a few too many actions as well. I think knocking out a few guards, maybe sending the screech through the radios would be fine, but I don't think she should be able to clear a room in one go (not to mention blowing up its walls). I'm sure Trixie can handle whatever Calli didn't get.
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Edited my post. And I checked envydei's post about Mnemonic and Filibuster checking out the house. There is a metal fence. I guess I forgot about that. (Well, that was embarrassing...) By the way, I always forget to say this: I want to change Catherine's personality if it's okay with you.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Call me crazy but.....aren't we too close to the mansion to NEED a cab ride to get there?
    que?
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited October 2011
    I think you guys were supposed to be about a mile away.
    edited October 2011
    Zalera, it's early enough in the game that you can alter her personality.
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Okay, done editing Cathy's personality.
  • icbmalariaicbmalaria Let Mom sleep Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Edited my post. (Walls no go smash)
    edited October 2011
    I've got something that might drum up some interest . . . a contest!

GORN and I have planned quite a few characters planned, including two that are to be part of team that is currently incomplete. They shouldn't get as much screen time as the PCs, but we think they might show up a few times. The team is tentatively being called the Apostles. They are going to be a group of religious vigilantes that believe their powers were granted by God, and that they are instruments of divine justice. They're pretty tough on criminals, so they aren't strictly operating within the law. The two members I have planned are:

Prophet -- Prophet constantly sees 10 seconds into the future. With concentration, she can extend this time up to five minutes.

Martyr -- Martyr can transfer wounds from other people to himself. He can select specific injuries and how much of each injury he takes on. Martyr also has some regenerative abilities.

Since these characters aren't going to show up for a while, their powers might be tweaked to fit the strength of whatever party they might run into. More importantly, they need team members. You might be able to tell by their names that I'm trying to go with a theme. Thus, other members of the Apostles might be have names like Saint, Bishop, Deacon, Inquisitor, Exorcist, Cardinal, or Zealot, something along these lines.

This is where the contest comes in. I would like all of you to brainstorm some powers that might fit with these names, or other names that have religious connotations. When we get a nice little bundle of ideas, we can vote on them, and the ones that you guys like the most will be included in the Apostles. I plan on controlling the overall team through a leader character, but if you come up with a power, you're welcome to control the character that has your power. Of course, if you don't want to write any more, you can decide who you want to have that character. This contest doesn't really have a time limit yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I could come up with the whole team, but that would be boring for me. So entertain me!
    edited October 2011
    Angel - Angel can send messages to anyone anywhere in the world. Angel does not need to know the exact identity of the person, they can send a message to someone who is only known by a nickname and the message will find them. Angel cannot spy on people using this power, but can talk with them, unaware of their location but completely cognizant of what they say and communicate.
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited November 2011
    Cain: The Sign of Cain - Cain must wander always, and any plants he tries to nurture die. In addition, any attempt to harm him is returned seven fold. Though there is no physical mark warning possible offenders off, he gives off an aura/feeling that attacking him is a bad idea.

If necessary I can edit it to be closer to the Biblical translation in which the protection only works if the person is trying to kill him. I also decided to lean towards the more recent translation that it was not a mark that God placed on Cain, but that he appointed a sign for him.

~~~~~~~~~

Lazarus: So long as his head isn't cut off he comes back to life fully healed after he dies. This means he has to die for the power to work, and his body doesn't heal itself unless he died. (If he dies slowly, sucks for him)

~~~~~~~~~

Sampson: Super strength until he cuts his hair. Too bad he cut his hair.

~~~~~~~~~

Noah: Can control animals, but only if they are in groups of two of similar species. (rat/mouse works; bird/cat does not)

~~~~~~~~~

Jesus (estranged from the rest of the group for the audacity of calling himself Jesus): Can walk on water and heal old wounds and chronic symptoms

~~~~~~~~~

Moses: Can control salt-water to a large extent, but no fresh-water.

~~~~~~~~~

will post more as they spring into my head
    edited November 2011
    Sampson - Sampson has bone control. He can regenerate his own bones, strengthen them, alter their shapes, make them more fluid, and break them off from his body if he so chooses.

Alternatively

Sampson - He derives his strength from his hair. As such, his hair is incredibly strong. His hair is prehensile, incredibly mobile, and capable of only being shaved/cut by Sampson himself. His hair repels all known foreign substances, cannot be dirtied, and in this way can effectively "punch" people.
    edited November 2011
    Judge - Judge's power revolve around literally judging how good of a person somebody is. Judge can sense or feel an aura someone gives off and gives off an aura of his own. When someone's aura intersects his own (they are a relatively small radius, like 3-5 feet) that person will experience a sensation related to how they have lived their life. Someone like Onoma would feel excruciating pain due to her being a "bad" person while someone like Prosperity would experience an euphoric feeling due to being a "good" person. This is determined by Judge's own morals.

(Possibility is that Judge could control what someone caught in the aura feels but is limited to sensations of that person's past regardless of them being good or bad. Say if a character severely injured someone then Judge could have him or her experience that pain for themselves...not sure what would happen if a character had killed someone. Perhaps they too die. Eye for an eye type deal.)
    edited November 2011
    Noah: Can control animals, but only if they are in groups of two of similar species. (rat/mouse works; bird/cat does not)

Noah: Now that's just going to get confusing.....
    que?
    edited November 2011
    ... what's that Crank? You say something?
    edited November 2011
    Name: Michael Sapnea

Codename: Wander

Declared Allegiance: Wander has no allegiance, he simply likes to travel and watch things unfold.

Age: Wander claims to be 28, though he is obviously older, by how much is uncertain.

Birthplace: Toronto, Canada

Appearance: Wander stands at 6'4" with scraggly black shoulder-length hair. He has stubble on his face and a smile rarely leaves his visage. He weighs in at 198 lbs. His eyes are green and his skin is a strange tannish color.

Civilian clothes: Wander tends to change clothes normally, however he is fond of his brown leather jacket which he often wears even when inappropriate.

Superpowers: Dimensional Transport
    Wander has the power to travel between parallel worlds and dimensions using doors as a medium. If he opens a door while activating his power, then he may step through it and into a parallel world. From this point, he can choose to wander the world he has newly arrived in, or he can travel again using a door. He can designate where he wants to go in the parallel world, and will appear there, though the differences of that world will still apply. So for example, were he to designate upon reaching a door that he would like to go to his friends house, he will walk through the door and appear in his friends house in a parallel world, where time, space, or gravity might be different. He can then decide to return to the prior world in any place he designates (provided it has a door) or any other world he has gained some familiarity of.

Other skills: He can walk for a very long time.

Personality: Wander is an observer first and foremost. He will act on people's wills when they ask him to but he will rarely show the initiative to change things in one way or another. He does not enjoy teamwork and will aid anyone that he finds sufficiently interesting, often playing more than one side at a time. His only real ally is himself.

Ambitions: To see interesting things

Background: Wander developed his powers at a point in his life when things began to get very boring in his mind. He had a stable job and a good circle of friends, but the whole aspect of living a normal life without traveling bored him. Lo and behold, he developed a power that coincided well with his personality and desires and so began to use them to travel throughout parallel worlds, stirring things up as he goes.

Job(s): none

Relationships: Wander does not seem to have any relationships to speak of, only holding himself close. He does not speak of family or friends.

Preferences: likes: travel, interesting occurrences, Ambrose Bierce novels, the internet, punk rock
    dislikes: sedentary lifestyles, daylight

Notes: what a tool
    edited December 2011
    Not really sure what to do with Ironhide at this point. It'd be nice if someone told him to let himself get arrested.
    que?
    edited December 2011
    Mnemonic is barely conscious, have Trixie do that.
    edited December 2011
    Bolts wrote: »
    Crank ignored Sketch's various ear splitting screams

After all, Crank is now something of an expert at splitting ears.

Since the the RPGs seem to be experiencing a jump in activity, I thought I'd take the chance to revive an old topic from this thread, the creation of the Apostles. Since we're actually getting somewhere, their appearance is slowly advancing, and I'd like to finish some solid character sheets for the team before we meet them.

Now, it seems like the character suggestions have fallen into two main groups, based on their names: Sampson, Noah, Jesus, and friends are named after proper biblical characters, whereas Judge and Angel are not. Since the Apostles are supposed to be a team, I would like all of their names to fall into only one of these two categories, to maintain parallel structure, and of these two I prefer the latter. I might be biased, since I offered up Prophet and Martyr, but the second group seems a little more formidable so far. And it seems a little contrived that in a situation where people are gaining completely random powers, so many of them would match an old book so well. Anyone else have an opinion?
    edited December 2011
    I kind of agree on the idea that they should maybe be more like classes, not specific characters. I'd think that a group of crusaders might consider it blasphemous to put themselves in the place of the actual characters. So yeah, I'd say group 2 of Judge, Martyr, Angel, and Prophet in addition to whoever else gets made seems the more likely group.
    edited December 2011
    I agree as well.
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think the only one they'd object to is Jesus.

Kind of ironic really.
    que?
    edited January 2012
    So, remind me again. What is it we can actually put in our vaults? All I can think of that Crank would really want would be more guns and we've got an armory full of those.
    que?
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    You can fill your vault with anything work-related (though, I guess you can have a few little pieces of home, as well). For instance, Redwood's might use the seed collection and laboratory in his vault to create genetically modified seeds that would enhance certain characteristics when using his powers. Sketch might want to set up an art studio that would allow her to complete exceptional drawings for her missions. Crank. . . Hm. He might want a personal gym. While the base already has a gym, from what I can tell, he doesn't really like to be around others too long. Of course, you don't have to fill it completely. Some of us aren't going to need as much as the others, and that's fine.

Oh, and Crank doesn't have access to the armory. Only Stealth Command does, for now.
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited January 2012
    I' aware of Crank's inability to access the armory. Just needed some clarification on the vault itself. Will these be where we live as well or do we have a group barracks? I feel like we've discussed this before but I just can't remember.
    que?
    edited January 2012
    Oh, one more thing. I should probably explain what a "Red Major" is.

Towards the beginning of the year, when it was apparent that the government was going to be creating programs for dealing with the new crime waves, the military divised a message system that they could use to communicate to local authorities who the order was comming from and what sort of assistance the team would be offering.

The command is broken down into two parts: The color and the rank.

The color denotes who is giving the order. Red, for instance, means that a high-ranking military officer, such as a Colonel or Squadron Leader, is issuing the order. White would be used by the highest ranking military officers, such as the Generals and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Black means that the order comes directly from the President. Yellow and Orange are used by intelligence agencies, like the CIA and the FBI. Green and Blue are used by local authorities.

The rank tells you what sort of role the new arrivals will be playing. There are four ranks: Double Minor, Minor, Major, and Double Major. A Double Minor means that the team will be leading police in an investigation, where there is little to no risk of conflict. A Minor means that there is a situation that has the potential to get violent, so the group is there in case conflict does erupt. A Major means that conflict is inevitable or already in progress, so the team will be doing most of the heavy lifting (It should be noted that the team is only given police authority when it comes to killing. They are only allowed to kill in self-defense, but it is generally better if you shoot to wound in this senario). A Double Major gives the team full military authority, and is used if there is a battle or other major conflict taking place.
    edited January 2012
    Bolts wrote: »
    I' aware of Crank's inability to access the armory. Just needed some clarification on the vault itself. Will these be where we live as well or do we have a group barracks? I feel like we've discussed this before but I just can't remember.

The vaults are work spaces, not living spaces. You will have to find residence some where in the area. But don't worry, you're already getting paid, so it shouldn't be too hard.
    edited January 2012
    I see.

Anyone want a grouchy roommate with a smoking problem?
    que?
    edited January 2012
    Ian: Sure! We can be best buds!