If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Import Impression - Tales of the Abyss 3d

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited July 2011 in Latest Updates
A question for modern gamers should be, if you stare into the 3D screen for too long, will it stare back? The first true Japanese RPG for the 3DS may be a port, but it'll have players staring into the 3D for a long time to come.

Impression

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Gaijin, pookie, where did all the text go? Right now I see less than a paragraph! :O
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Refresh?

Maybe you caught it while I was uploading it with the new forum link?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Wheels wants this game badly
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    Sounds like it's coming to be a 'perfect' port. By the way, Luke DOES get a change pretty soon, a change that gets mixed reactions.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I won't be "perfect" unless it is dual audio. Which it may be, I have no idea. I haven't been following it as I already played the game a ton and don't really have time to play it again. Anyhow, if it's not dual audio, that's one more mark on the side of buying a Japanese 3DS, just in case I ever do decide I want it.
    I miss my old prettiful sig.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I guess it's fun for old fans to replay this game on the 3DS, but I could care less about that. My biggest wish is that people who never tried the original will pick this up and see what great character development the Tales series has to offer. This goes especially for all the Europeans who never imported the PS2 release. I've already convinced two people I know to pick it up, one of which is a fan of Symphonia and Vesperia and another who is yet unacquinated with Tales.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Luke does undergo some very significant character development, and the story is one of the best I've seen in a game (other than a lot of backtracking that can lag the plot). If he weren't such a jerk to begin with, we couldn't appreciate what he turns into and why.
  • Options
    Unknown Unregistered / Not Logged In
    edited July 2011
    Luke is my favorite rpg protagonist and I started out much the same, wanting to strangle him every few minutes. But his character development is simply amazing and so well done, and ToTA in general has such a well formulated story that it has been a long while since I have enjoyed any game the same way since. I can not wait for this to be released in the US. It is one of the reason I picked up a 3DS.
  • Sam = WiseSam = Wise Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Yes, that first 'bottle' does sound really quite difficult ;o I want this game.
  • ShaiandraShaiandra New Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Do you know if TotA 3DS has any multiplayer support? I loved TotA, but a large reason was because some battles were a blast with four players... I'm not so sure if I'd want to buy it again if the 3DS version is only a one-player game.

As for Luke, we rarely included him in our party unless we had to... =p
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Don't worry about Luke. He undergoes an amazing amount of character development, as does most of the cast. That is why that is one of my favorite RPGs. They take a cast that starts out as (mostly) JRPG archetypes, and then evolve and expand the crap out of them through the whole game.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2011
    There are a few cool characters, but there are also so many unlikeable, utterly hypocritical twats in the game. And Luke isn't even one of them.
    edited July 2011
    Sam = Wise said:
    Yes, that first 'bottle' does sound really quite difficult ;o I want this game.

Darn, how did THAT get past the proofing stages >_<
    Fixing now.
    edited July 2011
    Shaiandra said:
    Do you know if TotA 3DS has any multiplayer support? I loved TotA, but a large reason was because some battles were a blast with four players... I'm not so sure if I'd want to buy it again if the 3DS version is only a one-player game.

As for Luke, we rarely included him in our party unless we had to... =p
    I saw in an interview in Nintendo Power that it will not have any multiplayer or communication features of any kind.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I don't know about anyone else, but games that are remade are best reviewed by those who played the previous game so you know what exactly to compare to in the new version. That's just what I think. :P
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
    edited July 2011
    Well, good thing I won't be reviewing it then, isn't it? I'm sure Wheels would jump at the chance, once the English version roles out ;)
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Depends on whether you've already played the original or not really :p As my experience of Tales of the Abyss is only through the anime, I'm more than happy for an impression from someone who also hasn't played it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • tokugawatokugawa Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I've found that Luke's character change/progress later in the game would not be nearly as effective, if he weren't that annoying snobbish spoiled brat in the beginning. Also, due to his history of being confined to a life of luxury, knowing nothing about the outside world, kind of makes me at least understand his point of view. It's plausible, believable.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Although I appreciate that Abyss attempts character development, I personally found it a bit awkward and forced. For me, Luke was so unlikeable at the beginning of the game that it was difficult to care about any character transformation. That, and magical haircut transformation scenes make me giggle.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited July 2011
    Man I never found Luke annoying, I thought it was hilarious that he thought all the early game plot devices were as ridiculous as I did.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Yes, that's all well and good, but how were the load times?
    thanks for reading
    edited July 2011
    Considering it's not on the loading time plagued PS2 system, there's little doubt they will be better.
    edited July 2011
    I didn't comment on load times because that's really one thing that I COULDN'T say with any certainty. Never played the PS2 title, after all. There are load times, most notably on the save menu, but all I can say about those is that they're a little longer than I'm used to with DS games, but not nearly as bad as some PSX and PS2 titles I've played.

I'll leave that sort of commentary to Wheels, once he's played a bit himself.
    edited July 2011
    tokugawa said:
    I've found that Luke's character change/progress later in the game would not be nearly as effective, if he weren't that annoying snobbish spoiled brat in the beginning. Also, due to his history of being confined to a life of luxury, knowing nothing about the outside world, kind of makes me at least understand his point of view. It's plausible, believable.

What I was trying to convey in the impression is that I found Luke's character a little too believable, to the point where I was emotionally projecting real-life issues I have with certain Japanese teenagers onto him because of the similarities in speech and attitude.