If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Pandora's Tower: Until I Return To Your Side to Launch in Europe

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited July 2011 in Latest Updates
Yet more spoiling for European RPGamers on the Wii front. It looks like the last of the three major Wii RPGs has finally gotten its European announcement.

Story

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    I sense another raging coming from the fans.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • rydia of the mistrydia of the mist Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Well if they never bring it here.. at least I have one of playing it and understanding what is going on... Hopefully NOA will still announce these for us...... But at least someone other then Japan is getting the games
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    At this point, U.S. gamers could import the EU version, and play it on their PC with Dolphin in HD. ;) (Wiis are region-locked iirc)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Yes, Wiis are region-locked. This is something that people looking to import these games should keep in mind. It's possible to play games from other regions via the homebrew channel, but you should read up on doing that first to see if you're comfortable with it, and keep in mind that system updates will break the homebrew channel every time.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited July 2011
    If it's three games, I'd simply buy an extra console than bother with all the technical hoolabaloo. I keep two PS2s myself to play both PAL and NTSC JRPGs from the PS1/2 era, and my only reason for getting a 360 was Lost Odyssey (though as it turns out Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia were great games too).

As for Pandora's Tower I actually played a bit of it in Tokyo. I didn't have time to delve much into it, but from what I played it seemed more like an action game than an RPG.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2011
    Spartakus said:
    If it's three games, I'd simply buy an extra console than bother with all the technical hoolabaloo. I keep two PS2s myself to play both PAL and NTSC JRPGs from the PS1/2 era, and my only reason for getting a 360 was Lost Odyssey (though as it turns out Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia were great games too).

As for Pandora's Tower I actually played a bit of it in Tokyo. I didn't have time to delve much into it, but from what I played it seemed more like an action game than an RPG.

You'd rather buy an entirely superfluous new console than spend 5-10 minutes (depending on how good you are at following simple instructions) installing homebrew channel? My god.
    edited July 2011
    I think it's interesting in itself to own multiple consoles, especially if they are from different regions. It's no goal for me to own as few consoles as possible.
    Currently playing:
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited July 2011
    I think I'll stick to the homebrew channel, should it come to that. I'm waiting until the Wii U is released before I start importing or modding anything.
    Reincarnation, realization
  • GigaGaiaGigaGaia New Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I think in this case, I will stick to piracy. If Nintendo of America doesn't make the effort to bring it here, no reason to make an effort to buy it more expensive from europe. Well, at least for Xenoblade and the Last Story.

Pandora tower is an action-rpg, but it seems to me it's greatly lacking the rpg part and is only an action game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2011
    GigaGaia said:
    I think in this case, I will stick to piracy. If Nintendo of America doesn't make the effort to bring it here, no reason to make an effort to buy it more expensive from europe. Well, at least for Xenoblade and the Last Story.

Pandora tower is an action-rpg, but it seems to me it's greatly lacking the rpg part and is only an action game.

I wouldn't dare pirate the game, personally. Not only is it illegal and immoral, NoE should at least be rewarded for caring enough.

Besides, my having made up my mind not to purchase the Wii U will save me more than enough money to make up for the expense of importing Last Story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    GigaGaia said:
    I think in this case, I will stick to piracy.

I can understand your frustration at NoA, but the game's developer and NoE have no influence over NoA's decisions. Why do you feel like you're entitled to play the game without compensating the developer & translator for their work? If cost is an issue, why don't you simply not buy the game and play something else instead?
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    GigaGaia said:
    At the very least you could mail a check to Monolith Soft...

Frankly, we're lucky there are any developers other than Square Enix still making JRPGs. We need to keep supporting those developers. Yes, NoA sucks--so don't give them your money! Buy from NoE.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2011
    GigaGaia said:
    I think in this case, I will stick to piracy.
    Yeah, no one wins with piracy. Ethics aside, short terms gains are not worth the long term price.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2011
    Spartakus said:
    I think it's interesting in itself to own multiple consoles, especially if they are from different regions. It's no goal for me to own as few consoles as possible.

Huh. Well, it's your money.
    edited July 2011
    The best thing you can do is support the developer for making the game and support NoE for having the presence of mind to realize these are important titles. In an ideal scenario there will be a visible amount of cash diverted to NoE. Indeed if NoA doesn't get its act together before september, it'll be interesting to see whether the European sales far exceed expectations due to American importers.

As far as piracy goes, from a legal perspective there is nothing to discuss but laws aren't valid because they are on paper; they're valid when they are respected, and seeing how NoA comports itself I cannot blame anyone if they feel the piracy laws are hard to respect when the publisher makes its consumers beg and plead without even giving them a proper response detailing why the game is/isn't being published, or why it's taking longer than in Europe. I think a lot of ire would have been spared if NoA would just talk to its fans like normal human beings and give them reasons they could understand if not necessarily like.
    Currently playing:
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Spartakus said:
    People I know own a Japanese 3DS to play games from that region (because it's the only way at this point). I'm not that hardcore. I only own one Japan region DS game anyway.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    MasterChief said:
    I wouldn't dare pirate the game, personally. Not only is it illegal and immoral, NoE should at least be rewarded for caring enough.
    So very much this. I really hate it when the first reaction someone has is "i'm going to pirate it". That helps no one and it only furthers the myth that gamers will pirate your game no matter what. People like that are who we should thank for these permanent internet connection DRM schemes and other lovely things such as SecuROM, Sony's rootkit, and Starforce.

EDIT: We should be so lucky as to live in an age where importing is a convenient and viable option. I wouldn't even know how to go about importing a game back in the 80's/90's for my NES or SNES.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Except the Wiis are region locked so importing is not a viable choice for everyone. I`d rather not turn my Wii into a brick, buy a PAL Wii for 2 games or have to emulate it on a cranky PC.

I`m one of those people who is begging NOA to take my money. *sigh*

The whole mess has me wanting to avoid any future Nintendo consoles if this is how NOA is going to be with quality RPGs while shovelling masses of crap out.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    For what it's worth, soft modding a Wii is easy, takes about 10 minutes, and I've never heard of somebody who was following the instructions ruining their system. In fact, the official Nintendo system updates are more likely to ruin your system -- as far as I'm aware, the 4.2 system update bricked more systems than homebrew ever has.

I'm annoyed at NoA's decisions and wish that they'd release these games here, but at least they're getting English translations. Realistically, the only inconvenience for me is that it's going to cost a little more to acquire them.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Just soft modded this morning. Really simple, all you need is an SD card.
    edited July 2011
    Aurian said:
    Except the Wiis are region locked so importing is not a viable choice for everyone. I`d rather not turn my Wii into a brick, buy a PAL Wii for 2 games or have to emulate it on a cranky PC.

I`m one of those people who is begging NOA to take my money. *sigh*

The whole mess has me wanting to avoid any future Nintendo consoles if this is how NOA is going to be with quality RPGs while shovelling masses of crap out.

I really doubt that will happen though. NoA will release Wii U, years will go by and besides shovelling crap they'll also release a couple of great JRPGs, and most of the Operation Rainfall people will have gotten over the whole localization debacle and be all over the new Wii.
    Currently playing:
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Spartakus said:
    I really doubt that will happen though. NoA will release Wii U, years will go by and besides shovelling crap they'll also release a couple of great JRPGs, and most of the Operation Rainfall people will have gotten over the whole localization debacle and be all over the new Wii.

These games by themselves wouldn't be enough to influence future console choices. However, they help highlight the issue of a clear and total lack of good software on the Wii and Nintendo of America's complete and utter tin ear with regard to its core fanbase, to say nothing of their indifference toward people other than the casual gamer. By itself, these games aren't much - their loss would have no influence on the decision to buy another Sony or Microsoft console - but set against the backdrop of what is to many people (including myself) the single most disappointing hardware purchase of their lives, and the questions have to be asked as to whether it's worth buying another one of their systems. I've already made the choice that it's not, and while I'm under no illusion that it'll do anything to Nintendo's bottom line, it at least helps my own. If Nintendo no longer makes me happy, why buy their hardware?

[QUOTE=shoptroll]EDIT: We should be so lucky as to live in an age where importing is a convenient and viable option. I wouldn't even know how to go about importing a game back in the 80's/90's for my NES or SNES.

You know, that's something of an irony. Back in the NES and SNES, the sole barriers to playing import games were the shape of the carts, something easily defeated by devices like the Game Genie, but at the same time, it was difficult to find the games themselves, and involved calling more than a few of those mail-order places that were advertised in the back of Gamefan and EGM to see if they had any copies. Today, anyone with an interest can find the games, but now we're dealing with systems that have to be altered in one way or another to run the import software. In many ways, the PS3's region free status is the best thing ever, and something I hope they preserve that in the PS4.

[QUOTE=Aurian]Except the Wiis are region locked so importing is not a viable choice for everyone. I`d rather not turn my Wii into a brick, buy a PAL Wii for 2 games or have to emulate it on a cranky PC.

Thankfully the Wii requires no physical alterations to be modded, especially for owners of Super Smash Brothers or several other games that have been exploited. There's no risk at all, and you can use the same exploits to remove the mods should that be needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited July 2011
    MasterChief said:
    These games by themselves wouldn't be enough to influence future console choices. However, they help highlight the issue of a clear and total lack of good software on the Wii and Nintendo of America's complete and utter tin ear with regard to its core fanbase, to say nothing of their indifference toward people other than the casual gamer. By itself, these games aren't much - their loss would have no influence on the decision to buy another Sony or Microsoft console - but set against the backdrop of what is to many people (including myself) the single most disappointing hardware purchase of their lives, and the questions have to be asked as to whether it's worth buying another one of their systems. I've already made the choice that it's not, and while I'm under no illusion that it'll do anything to Nintendo's bottom line, it at least helps my own. If Nintendo no longer makes me happy, why buy their hardware?

I hope you don't then. I think alot of people complain while still buying the products (can you really give up on Skyward Sword?) and then they're not complaining in a way that a company will understand, on the contrary they may even reach the conclusion that complaints are irrelevant.
    Currently playing: