If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Remonjiru - Japandemonium for July 15th, 2011

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited July 2011 in Latest Updates
Someone needs to make an RPG version of Lemonade Stand.

Until then, here's a column.

Comments

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited July 2011
    I complain (justifiably) about a lot of things where I live. Not the weather, though. I don't want to bake and I don't want to steam, so staying in the low 20s C (low 70s F) suits me just fine.
    Lemons have kanji that pronounces they came from a citrus tree, eh? Do mangoes have kanji like that?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Hello kitty will have your soooooul.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    gaijin, there was an ancient dos game called Lemonade Stand it was mostly a business sim but had a few rpg elements. perhaps you could call it a precursor to reccettear.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    gaijin, there was an ancient dos game called Lemonade Stand it was mostly a business sim but had a few rpg elements. perhaps you could call it a precursor to reccettear.

I'm pretty sure that's what Gaijin was referring to when he wrote the blurb, Fowl. :) Oh, Lemonade Stand, how you wasted my time when I was 9.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Ocelot said:
    I'm pretty sure that's what Gaijin was referring to when he wrote the blurb, Fowl. :) Oh, Lemonade Stand, how you wasted my time when I was 9.

That is exactly what I was referring to, ;)
    edited July 2011
    JuMeSyn said:
    Do mangoes have kanji like that?

My usual online dictionary doesn't show any ateji for mango, nor does my cellphone. However, I did find two Japanese words for mango. The first ("na" 柰) uses a kanji so obscure that I'm not even sure if it's really Japanese. The other is actually a series of very similar names with assorted combinations of kanji, usually a variation on "anra" or "amaraka", which sounds more like an Okinawan origin to me.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Fushigini no Kuni no Bouken Sakaba Portable
    ---
    I would like to try this.
    edited July 2011
    In a fit of boredom, I decided to look into the "mango question" a bit more. 柰 is actually the kanji for Chinese crabapples, so my online dictionary was wrong on that. What I forgot to mention in the column is that Wikipedia can be really useful for quick vocab lookups as well, and from there I got two symbol combinations for the pronunciation "mango" (檬果、芒果) and a few more for the anra/amaraka set of pronunciations (菴羅, 菴摩羅). None of these are apparently current enough for me to find them on regular searches.