If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mega Man Legends 3 Officially Canceled

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited July 2011 in Latest Updates
It's a sad day for Mega Man Legends fans as the 3DS game has been officially canned. For those in mourning, a candlelight vigil will be held by RPGamers all over the world as they lament the loss of this new Legends title.

Story.

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Not much to add that I haven't already said in the RPG sub-forum, so I'll just reiterate this was fairly disheartening to hear.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    From a more recent post on Capcom Unity:

[QUOTE=Greg]Because the thing is, there are tough realities in this industry that are largely left unpublicized for a good reason--because they're tough. All games go through a multi-stage approval process, but most games are not brought to the public's attention until that final approval has been met. With Mega Man Legends 3, exposing the fans to that process was part of the project's core concept--to show everybody what it really means to create a game. We were all in it together here, for better or worse, and now together we must accept the outcome that many games ultimately face.

Some of the fan entitlement on the Capcom Unity site, however, is frankly disgusting. Wishing cancer on Capcom employees because they cancelled a project?

NOT COOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited July 2011
    Quin said:
    Some of the fan entitlement on the Capcom Unity site, however, is frankly disgusting. Wishing cancer on Capcom employees because they cancelled a project?

NOT COOL

News like this always brings out the ugly side of fans :(
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2011
    But you have to remember that their forum is full of children and young teenagers so it's not surprising. You don't want to see how the post of DmC where.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited July 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    But you have to remember that their forum is full of children and young teenagers so it's not surprising.
    I can only imagine what the Legends 3 GameFAQs forum looks like right now.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I can't say I'm surprised. MML3 was clearly Inafune's baby, much like Megaman Universe, which was canceled almost immediately after Inafune left the company. I'm only surprised that this didn't happen day-and-date with the Universe cancellation.
    Quin said:

NOT COOL

Yeah, looks like we have ourselves another fine entry for that fandumb thread I made over on misc. :omg:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Awwww nuts.

The cynic in me is saying that I should not have gotten my hopes up so much in the first place. Oh well. I should go thank the devs to stem the tide of tactless posts. I'm sure more than a few of the people who were working on MML3 had genuine affection for it. I for one at least appreciate the effort.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I doubt it's the fault of the development team that the game got canceled. The entire process oozed reluctance on Capcom's part, and I call bull pucky on Capcom's insistance that Inafune's departure had nothing to do with the cancellation.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2011
    Quin said:

NOT COOL

Yeah, that was only acceptable back when it was announced that Gyakuten Kenji 2 isn't being localized, for anything else that's just going too far.
    edited July 2011
    HJ+ said:
    Yeah, that was only acceptable back when it was announced that Gyakuten Kenji 2 isn't being localized, for anything else that's just going too far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited July 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Yeah, I doubt it's the fault of the development team that the game got canceled. The entire process oozed reluctance on Capcom's part, and I call bull pucky on Capcom's insistance that Inafune's departure had nothing to do with the cancellation.

Yeah, I laughed at that one too. Stevie Wonder could see what's really going on here.
    Quin said:
    Can't say I get it. Probably because I don't know where that comes from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2011
    MasterChief said:
    Can't say I get it. Probably because I don't know where that comes from.
    That would be the James-May-is-disappointed gif, which makes sense if you've seen Top Gear.

In case I need to spell things out, though: Wishing cancer on people isn't cool, so knock it off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2011
    Quin said:

Spoiler:
    > mfw he thinks I'm serious
    edited July 2011
    Quin said:
    That would be the James-May-is-disappointed gif, which makes sense if you've seen Top Gear.

In case I need to spell things out, though: Wishing cancer on people isn't cool, so knock it off.

Ah, that would explain it. I have BBC America on my cable system (UVerse) but I don't know when they show Top Gear. Gonna have to look.

[QUOTE=HJ+]> mfw he thinks I'm serious

Not funny joke is not funny. Just so you know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Well, as long as Capcom doesn't find a way to cancel Top Gear, I at least have some joy in the universe left to look forward to.

Capcom's been making a lot of waves lately that they don't find the Megaman brand viable anymore. Which is insane, but there you go.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    what's actually newsworthy about this is that someone bothered to announce cancelling a game rather than just not mentioning it for a good while and hope no one asks about it again.

*quietly curses squeenix for abandoning a highlander rpg*
    edited July 2011
    Rebochan said:
    Well, as long as Capcom doesn't find a way to cancel Top Gear, I at least have some joy in the universe left to look forward to.

Capcom's been making a lot of waves lately that they don't find the Megaman brand viable anymore. Which is insane, but there you go.
    Well, Capcom's pretty much made it clear that they don't wanna do Megaman games anymore. I doubt we'd have gotten MM9 and 10 without Inafune, really. With him gone, there's no one left to carry the torch anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2011
    MasterChief said:
    Well, Capcom's pretty much made it clear that they don't wanna do Megaman games anymore. I doubt we'd have gotten MM9 and 10 without Inafune, really. With him gone, there's no one left to carry the torch anymore.
    I do agree and I think the Megaman IP will be archived for a very long time. It's too bad that I will never know about what will happen on the next ZX series that I was hooked in.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    *quietly curses squeenix for abandoning a highlander rpg*
    Wait...what? They did WHAT?
    MasterChief said:

Didn't those sell well?
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2011
    A friendly reminder there's a certain flavour of humour the forums finds acceptable. If you don't know it, learn it or go away.

Carrying on, I'm with several others on this one -- the fact they announced it too early is what's going to bite them in the behind, on top of the fact they could have just let this fade into the sunset.
    edited July 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    It's too bad that I will never know about what will happen on the next ZX series that I was hooked in.
    I don't think Inti Creates has been hauled out to work on that since, what 2-3 years ago? Even Starforce dried up after 3 installments... :\
    edited July 2011
    shoptroll said:
    I don't think Inti Creates has been hauled out to work on that since, what 2-3 years ago? Even Starforce dried up after 3 installments... :\
    ZX had continuity after the hidden plot twist at the end of Advent so the series was on a cliffhanger...
    edited July 2011
    So was Legends since Legends 2. They're quite fond of this, unfortunately.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Inti-Creates were the ones who did MM9 and MM10. They got pulled from the ZX series to do that. Which is too bad, because the ZX series was amazing, and had renewed my hope in the Megaman Franchise.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2011
    Let us have a moment of silence for our fallen friends in Megaman Legends, they may never see the light of day again. T_T
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time since before Mega Man 1 was greenlight that there isn't a Mega Man being at least worked on.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited July 2011
    Found this linked from a Unity comment.

Whether it's legit or not is up for debate, but it's as good a reason as any if it is.
    [–]legendthrowaway 2 points 18 hours ago
    exactly what made it bland?
    Everything really. The gameplay was not challenging or engaging. The story was just okay and the graphics were also just okay. You would have to ask yourself "Why am I playing this?" I suppose a hardcore fan could power through it but it just brought nothing to the table to engage a gamer's interest.
    did you take into account the lost potential sales and the backlash for getting everyone's hopes up (and inviting people to be in on the process) and then suddenly cancelling?
    I didn't make the decision, but I'm sure the people who did did consider that. In general a lot of devs are starting to back away from the 3DS, Capcom included. We have a game that isn't turning out to be very interesting on a platform that isn't selling well at all - just too many negatives.
    Lastly, do you know why was the 3DS chosen over, say Virtual Console, PSN, XBoxLive, or any other method of distribution?
    When the 3DS was announced it had a lot of promise. If the thing sells off the shelves as a dev you want to make sure you've got software available for it. Aside from the hardcore Legends fans, they were hoping to also hoping to appeal to new gamers, and the more kid/family friendly 3DS seemed like a good fit.
    There's more involved of course but those are some basics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2011
    Sounds like a load of crap, especially considering it's on reddit. The anti-3DS sentiment in particular sounds more like a troll than someone who knew what he was talking about.

And I'm sorry, if the game didn't even make into full production, there is no way there was enough "game" for anyone outside the dev staff to talk with any detail on the gameplay or the story.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    I think they are trying to destroy Mega Man to get back at Keiji Inafune for bolting. If you'll notice, all traces of Mega Man are disappearing from games and such. Don't forget, it's bone headed moves like this that sunk SEGA.

What does Capcom have left? Streetfighter? Resident Evil? Capcom has been dead to me since it basically killed Breath of Fire.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited July 2011
    sirsniffy said:
    What does Capcom have left? Streetfighter? Resident Evil? Capcom has been dead to me since it basically killed Breath of Fire.

Yup, they certainly don't want my money any more.