If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

With Great Power

KhanKhan Heh hehFull Members
edited February 2012 in Saving Throw Gaming
Monday, February 11, 2013

Washington, DC, 7:00 AM

“Early shift?”

“Yep. Hey Joe, let me look at that paper, see if I wanna buy it.”

“Hey now, this isn't some library! I should charge you for looking at the headline!”

Josephine Johnson sat in her newsstand, huddled in a thick coat. One of her repeat customers rooted around for a couple bills before taking a paper. He scanned the articles.

“You'd of thought that stuff back at New Year's mighta' blown over by now. Look at that: 'Political Correctness Debate Continues for People With Powers.' Apparently, 'superhuman' is no good, 'cause it means they're better than everyone else, and 'mutant' or whatever is too offensive. The correct term is 'Metahuman.'” The man emphasized with air quotes.

"Pfft, Metahumans? That's what we're being called now? Metahumans? Like, humans apart from humans? Ha! What a joke. We aren't any different from anyone else. I mean yeah, there are some crazies out there but that's no reason to call us all that. I mean, I'd prefer there'd be no term separating me, but if I had to give myself one it'd be cursed human, given my unfortunate circumstances.. I think the 'Metahuman' population should just be fine with being called whatever and there really shouldn't be any alternate name to begin with."

“Gotta call you guys something, you're on every page! Scientists still can't figure out where these powers even came from, or why . . .”

"What's the point of finding out why? It's not like knowing if we got some disease is gonna help anything. I'm more interested in what's gonna happen from now on? Is this a thing that's gonna be passed down to our kids? Are any of my kids going to achieve stardom? I hope so.."

“Yeah . . . Business section is still lit up with this Green guy. 'Washington Green, Smartest Man in the World, Now the Richest.' He's made so much money in the last month that he's already giving it away to schools.”

"Well good on him. Story says he's using his intelligence. He's just using what God gave him, it's not like we chose these powers, sadly... If I had something useful I'd definitely be going and making use of it, might even be able to afford a cruise for the husband and me this anniversary."

“Don't beat yourself up, Joe, nothing you could've done. Hey, at least you're not stealing stuff or killing people like some of these guys. You probably already read this editorial about the new crime wave?”

"Like I said, ya get some crazies out there. I'm a bit disheartened that our cops can't handle it. I mean, sure, you're gonna have some guys out there that can shoot fire-lasers and all that, but I mean, come on. A guy that can turn into dust? 'ooh scary'.. I just hope something gets done.. Hey Johnny, you wanna buy me a costume so I can go out and stop these bad guys? Be a superhero? Ha!"

Johnny laughed. “Yeah, I'll put it on my 'To Do' List. Maybe if you took care of all that I could read a paper without seeing the word 'Metahuman.' Look, they're even in the sports page! I swear, before you know it, we're going to see superheroes in the comics!

Arlington County, Virginia, 7:00 AM

After a moment of darkness, the tiles on the floor flickered once before illuminating eleven men and women, sitting around a semi-circular table. They didn't know one another, but their matching uniforms suggested that they soon would. Each had been led into an office in Washington DC and asked to don the uniform, before being blindfolded and transported to the room via some underground vehicle. Each had volunteered to serve the same country, the United States of America, but none of them knew exactly how to do it, or how this room was going to help. The walls of the room were either pitch-black or unlit somewhere further out. The only things that the tiles illuminated were the area around the table and a large, empty chair, which all other seats had been aligned to face. There was a moment of confused silence.

Los Angeles, California, 4:00 AM

The industrial sector of the city was, for the most part, quiet. Downtown parties had lapsed away earlier than the night before, but the work week had yet to start. Tall, silent, empty buildings loomed in the street lights. With a few minor observations, one particular warehouse stood out. It looked secure, with a high fence and a number of small cameras both on the building and the perimeter. However, the gate was not only unlocked, but wide open. It might have been a mistake, but the lights inside the building shone through the windows. It was empty, and could have been so until sunrise, for the building didn't seem particularly inviting. However, a select few had been directed to the address by an employer of sorts. He had been secretive about the exact parameters of the career he offered, saying almost nothing on the phone, though from the way he spoke it sounded like a large, potentially illicit operation. It was big enough that he had paid to fly a few of the participants in, and it was illicit enough that he hadn't used a real name. Through the voice-changer, it was hard to tell what he had called himself, but it sounded like – Thallis.

Comments

• envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Eric Johnson looked around the room. He saw several other formidably built people in similar uniform and then noticed several much younger people, some of them young girls and he began to wonder about why they had been called here. Eric looked at the others and decided to make an inquiry he was hoping the others would answer "You all got powers too?" He said aloud addressing the others in uniform.

Tim Singleton arrived at the meeting in Los Angeles, clutching a napkin with the address written hastily on it. He was dressed in a disheveled manner, not unlike a hobo. He looked around to see if anyone else had arrived before leaning casually against the warehouse, waiting for any sign of what was to be happening.
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Ian blinked in mild surprise as the room lit up and he glanced around curiously noting the varying types of people in the room. When one of the larger men asked everyone if they had powers he answered readily. "I don't know about the others, but I do. Oh and I'm Ian, nice meeting all of you," he finished smiling pleasantly the mysterious atmosphere doing nothing to dampen his personality.

Trixie sat in the back seat of one of her family's cars doing one last once over to make sure nothing was out of place with what she was wearing. The suggestion her father had given her to do something to hide her identity had swiftly turned into a long trip into her closet, and an even longer trip to various stores. In the end she had gone with something simple: a designer suit, black flats, and a long black wig that she had pulled back into a bun. She had debated over wearing her usual sunglasses but decided against it; her eyes would still show in the dark with or without them.

Sure that everything was fine she opened the door and stepped out of the car. "Thanks Jarvis, I'll call you when I need to be picked up," called out brightly before closing the door behind herself. She walked forward humming to herself, her glowing pink eyes standing out noticeably in the darkness as she began checking the building addresses until she arrived at the right one. Seeing the man dressed like a hobo leaning against the building she was about to go in instantly caused her nose to wrinkle in distaste as she began questioning the legitimacy of the meeting. Deciding to ignore the man entirely she walked straight into the building without another thought and stood waiting to see if anyone who didn't look like they had found their way out of the garbage would show up.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Noah let out a gruff sigh from behind the rather stuffy mask. It was only after Eric spoke up that he thought to finally remove it. "If that's what you want to call them then yes......I've got powers," he finally stated. The other fellow, Ian, bothered him for some reason. What the hell was he so chipper about? ".....If you're going to keep that stupid grin going then put the mask on....." The continued his thousand yard stare for some time before finally returning his gaze to the ceiling. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, all I've done since that bastard showed up in my apartment is wait!" Noah's foot tapped impatiently on the floor. He was getting another craving but firing up his power now would just cause trouble. There was nothing worse than being all hopped up on adrenaline and then being forced to sit around calmly.

A low thumping sound could be heard down the street from where Tim was leaning against the wall. Before long a colossal figure rounded the corner. The figure was none other than Doctor Bertrand Donahue. The noise however wasn't the only thing that made him stand out from anyone else walking down the road. Rather, it was the fact that he was quite literally made of metal. The frighteningly large man continued stomping down the road before finally turning into the warehouse. He glanced at Tim for a moment but simply assumed he was just some homeless fellow looking for refuge in a warehouse. Either way he didn't have time to chat, not at the moment at least. When the good doctor entered he was pleasantly surprised to see a young girl there. "Well hello there," he said with an overbearingly large grin. Bertand knelt down, resting his hands on his knees so as to get a better look at the girl that stood before him. "My name is Bertrand....and who might you be?"
    que?
    edited August 2011
    "Well, nice to meet you, Ian. Name's Eric." Said the firefighter to the real estate agent. "I'm an electrician out in Manhattan. You?"

Tim looked as the large man went in and decided that this was no mere coincidence. The professor decided to follow in, he stayed to the sides of the warehouse, still posing as a homeless person, hoping to observe somewhat longer before intervening.
    edited August 2011
    Shrugging of the hot-headed man's insult easily Ian turned to answer Eric, "Oh nothing too special really, I just work in real-estate mostly on the South Carolina coast around Folly Island. I work as a store clerk in the town on Folly as well. I'm trying to save up money." He commented practically beaming, "I'm getting married soon and we're hoping to get a nice sailboat someday. I'd show you a picture of her, but my billfold is with regular my clothes." His brow furrowed for a moment before he broke out smiling again, "Don't worry though, I'm sure I can show you some other time."

Trixie took one look at the large metal man when he first entered the building and became slightly worried. Great, first a hobo, now a guy that could squash me like a bug; this is just getting better and better. The closer he got the more seriously she began contemplating leaving until her introduced himself and practically folded himself down to speak on her level smiling all the while. Seems nice enough, she thought to herself. "Hi there," she said returning his smile and stuck out her hand to shake, "My name is Trixie, nice to meet you. Can I call you Bertie?" She pouted slighly, "Bertrand is just so long and stuffy sounding, and Bertie sounds much more cute." She continued to chatter on as if a giant metal man was the most normal thing in the world, "You're quite tall aren't you?" She paused and poked his metal skin, "And shiny, too, I think it's lovely!"
  • icbmalariaicbmalaria Let Mom sleep Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Alana couldn't help but grin. This Ian guy must be on some happy pills or something. "Hi Ian, hi Eric, hi um you. I'm Alana." The stylist introduced herself to the three men. "Oh and yeah, I have powers. I'm pretty sure that's why we're all here." She smiled brightly at Ian at the mention of getting married. "Congratulations, Ian! AHHH! You must be so excited! What's her name? I bet she's gorgeous! Does she know who's doing her hair for the wedding? I'm a hair stylist so I could do her hair if she wants!" Alana realized she was talking too much. She was a little nervous and let out a small laugh that demonstrated this.

Cali approached the warehouse still a little drunk from being at the night club. She was wearing nothing to conceal her identity, in fact to some she was hardly wearing nothing at all. She stared at the building for a moment, frowning. This place looked like a dump, however the effects of being tipsy encouraged her to go in anyways. At first, she didn't say anything to the others as she entered. There was a man made of metal, some b**** with awesome hair, and apparently some homeless dude was camping out. "Why the hell did I come here?" She walked over to Trixie and Bertrand only catching the last bits of their conversation. "Yes, he's definitely shiny," she said uninterested, "So where the hell is this Phallus guy?" She looked around for whoever Thallis was.
  • DuceDuce Now in Lemon Flavor Full Members
    edited August 2011
    “Um, sorry to interrupt, but who exactly is in charge here?” Garrett said from his seat near one of the corners. “I mean, I have powers and all, but they’re already being utilized in my division. Am I being transferred or something?”

Garrett sat back in his seat, arms folded. With his right hand, he made nervous, rapid circles on his arm as his eyes darted around the room. He really didn’t want to be transferred. He liked his job. It was good work. And not everyone in the room seemed entirely trustworthy. Garrett took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Someone would explain things soon. He just had to be patient.

A robed and hooded figure stood quietly to the side in the room. Lye’s hazel eyes occasionally darted up from beneath the hood, looking away from a large tome opened in order to scan each individual as they entered. That was as far as her interest extended however, as once the presence of an additional person was confirmed, the she turned back to the tome in her arms.

It had been quite a bother to get to this meeting. Because of the seemingly illicit nature of the gathering, she had been forced to think of an excuse for going out west. Lye ran her fingers over the aged, hardcover book hidden in the left side of her tome. It saddened her that she would have to say goodbye to one of her personal collection after the trip was over. Lye had told her work that she was heading out west to pick up a book she noticed was missing from the archives. Whatever this job was, it had better be worth surrendering one of her private stash, because if not… Lye’s fingers drifted from the left to the right side of the tome where they slowly ran over the stock and barrel of her loaded pistol.
    The labels on inflammable objects really should use larger print. Being arrested for arson just cause you don't see 20/20 is stupid.
    edited August 2011
    "Not sure" Eric answered. "So, what did you all get?" Eric said as he pulled a small pen that was sitting before him inward. Suddenly, more pens began appearing out of thin air in front of him, popping into existence where there had been nothing previously. "I can do it with inanimate objects, even some pretty big things."

Tim looked at the others, and decided this would be a good time to make an introduction. He looked at the others present and concentrated, erasing himself from their memories. As he kept them in his sight, he backed out of the warehouse, before straightening out his clothes somewhat and discarding the dusty old jacket which made him particularly scruffy, before entering. "Thallis?" He said as he entered the building. "So were you all were called here too? My name is Tim Singleton. I'm a professor in Maryland."
    edited August 2011
    "That's amazing! So you can copy things, huh. Here, I'll show you what I can do." Alana took one of the pens from Eric and drew a quick picture of a butterfly on a slip of paper. As she finished the drawing, the butterfly came to life and fluttered right off the paper and away into the air. "I can draw other things too of course."

"No s*** we were called here. You think we'd all hang out here at 4 in the f***ing morning?" Cali frowned at the professor, not recognizing him as the hobo she'd forgotten. "I'm Cali. You can join us, Tim, and wait because we still don't know where Thallis is." She then realized there was someone else in the room as well. "Hey, you in the creepy hood. You Thallis?" Cali called to Lye.
    edited August 2011
    “I move things,” Garrett said. “People, I mean – but other things too, like things-things. I mean…” Garrett took another deep breath. “My power’s teleportation. Sorry. I’m not great at talking to new people.”

----

Lye shook her head, staying under her hood, when Cali called out to her. It was good to know at least someone else was annoyed at the tardiness of their prospective employer. Lye was however curious as to why the girl was letting others know whether they could join or not. Could she be Thallis? Lye walked closer to Cali in order to get a better view of her face. Lye tilted her head and pointed at Cali, examining her face to read her reaction.
    The labels on inflammable objects really should use larger print. Being arrested for arson just cause you don't see 20/20 is stupid.
    edited August 2011
    "What the f*** are you looking at?" Cali gave Lye a look of both confusion and annoyance. "I can stare too, b****." Cali returned an exaggerated stare back at the librarian before rolling her eyes and looking away. 'Creep.' She turned her attention on Bertrand, an amusing thought crossing her mind. "Hey you, so is your dick metal too?" She smirked at the iron giant.
    edited August 2011
    Trixie had been doing a fabulous job ignoring Cali entirely already disliking the girl. She continued to chatter on to Bertrand in order to drown her out. When Tim walked in and came close her nose wrinkled, "Hi, you smell like old sweat and sewage. Don't you ever bathe?" Not even waiting for an answer she turned back to Bertrand her tone changing instantly, "So what brings you here anyway Bertie? You seem too normal to be wanting to participate in something less than legal." Before he had time to answer though Cali interrupted with her "amusing thought."

Trixie abruptly turned on her heel and smiled at the girl, "Oh excuse me, I had forgotten you where there. You do know it's rude to interrupt people's conversations like you just did don't you? And with such a comment too!" As she stepped closer to the girl her pink eyes narrowed, "Ah but it seems you weren't raised very well," she tsked and looked at the girl critically. "And look at these clothes!" she exclaimed and quickly ran her fingers over several parts of the fabric, her fingertips glowing pink. "No decent place would hire you like this! Maybe you should try finding some better clothes dear." She backed away again watched as several places on the girl's clothes began unraveling, "Hmm, so where were we Bertie?" She continued to keep an eye on the other girl waiting for her to react.
    edited August 2011
    Cali stared down at her clothes as they unraveled, her outfit becoming even more revealing. She didn't completely understand Trixie's powers but she wasn't about to let the little rich girl get away with doing that. "Listen here, little girl. I wasn't talking to you." She said annoyed, quickly writing something out on a notepad and turning it around to face Trixie. She mocked the younger girl, "And I'm going to have to ask you not to touch me again, dear." She had written out the word 'whoosh' and within seconds a strong gust of wind blew straight at Trixie. However, because Cali didn't care too much, the gust wouldn't send the girl flying but it would make her lose her balance and would easily blow her wig off her head and across the room.
    edited August 2011
    ((Honey it's a good wig made with real hair, they don't just fall off, not to mention they're not noticeably wigs in the first place))

Trixie stumbled backward but instead of falling she took advantage of the motion and completed a decent spur of the moment back-flip though her landing was certainly wobbly. She inspected her clothes and saw that there was now a hole under the arm of both of the sleeves. "You made me rip my suit," she seethed, her bun beginning to come free from the pony-tail holder. "You better be able to pay for it dear," she warned, her voice taking on a sing-song tone. As she spoke her clenched fists began to glow a bright pink.
    edited August 2011
    Noah sat by for a moment, watching as the others demonstrated their rather strange powers. Apparently one girl was capable of creating tiny little insects, whatever good that would do them. The gunman's eyes followed the tiny bug as it fluttered about the room before finally returning his attention back to the others. ".....I'm Noah.....," he said gruffly, picking up one of the pens Eric had spawned from presumably thin air. "....Nice trick," he said as he began disassembling the writing utensil. "I can control my adrenaline,.....basically that means I'm stronger, faster, and have better reflexes when I'm a little juiced up." As he spoke, Noah allowed his power to initiate just a bit. His perception of the world around him soon slowed into a kind of bullet-time as he threw the pen cap into the air. As the cap floated above the group, Noah seized the body of the pen and swiftly threw it, striking the cap in mid-air. "...That's not a great example but I don't think they'd like me shooting up the place....."

---

Bertrand smiled warmly as Trixie extended her hand, offering her his own in return, though he was careful not to actually grasp her hand for fear of crushing it. "But of course you can. I always though Bertrand was a little old fashioned anyway." Before Bertrand could continue his pleasant conversation with Trixie, Cali interrupted with her rather interesting question. "Why yes, as a matter of fact it is. But really someone your age shouldn't speak so vulgarl-" before Bartrand could finish, Trixie stepped in, initiating what was sure to be a cat-fight if left unattended. "Now, now, Children...." he interrupted, stepping between Trixie and Cali. "Your big girls now, act like it." Noting Cali's continuing loss of clothing, Bertrand removed his lab-coat and threw it around the girl before helping Trixie back to her feet. "If you both behave I'll take you out for ice cream later."
    que?
  • ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited August 2011
    ((Found some free time before midterms and sneaked off to the school's library to use the computer.))

Abel had been quiet for some time now, only listening and observing. He decided he'd introduce himself since everyone already did and he might seem rude for not doing so.
    "I'm Abel McQuillan. A pleasure to make your acquaintance." he smiled warmly. "Since everyone's demonstrating their abilities, I'd like to show you mine." Abel began to hum and the whole room started to reverberate. He stopped after noticing objects starting to break. "Well, that's enough for now."

Catherine arrived later than the others. Her hair was a bit of a mess but it also seemed as though it was carefully arranged to look that way. Her clothes were also that way. "Hey, I'm Catherine Griffin. Just call me Cathy." she waved at the others and smiled. "Sorry I'm late. Am I? I think I am. There's already so many people here! I'm late, aren't I? I knew it..." she acted like she was just talking to herself. She drew a deep breath and sighed. "Sorry. I'm having a hard time portraying a character with multiple personalities. Just practicing. It's for a play. Sorry for looking like this. I'm kinda stressed." Catherine said.
    edited August 2011
    Eric rubbed his ears "Let's try not to do that one inside if you don't mind." He said, looking to Abel.

Tim did not notice the new girl due to the effort it took forcing himself not to laugh at Bertrand, Cali, and Trixie. "So, any ideas why this Thallis guy called us here? I mean, I'm going to guess after that recent display that we're all people with powers. So we've got something with writing, something that involves touch, and metal skin." He indicated to Cali, Trixie, and Bertrand in turn. "Also, I'm gonna take a guess that there's a reason why we all came here in disguises.. except you." He nodded toward Cali. "I can tell you're about as homeless as I am, Catherine, that is to say, not at all. So am I right to assume there's a reason we're all hiding our identities aside from the strangeness of these meetings?" His mind flashed to the recent day where he committed a small-time robbery of a convenience store by entering in disguise of a hobo, holding the store up at gunpoint and stealing the money, and then erasing his presence from the memories of everyone present as he escaped. He had not been caught, as he discarded the outfit, had managed to stay off of security cameras, and no one remembered the exact details of the man who had robbed the store, just that someone did.
    edited August 2011
    "Sorry about that." Abel said, smiling at everyone there.

"I can easily change my appearance. Here, watch." Catherine said as she pulled her hair back. Her once perfectly messy hair is now slicked back and neat. She also wiped her make up off. Without it, her face looks completely different from when she had it on. "See? Now all I need is a change of clothes." she said. "I'm not really sure why we were called here. And I didn't really plan on going. I just kinda hoped that my sister would be......" Catherine paused. She decided not to say anything else about her problem. "Anyway, my powers aren't really impressive. I just freeze stuff." she said.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2011
    One of the last ones to introduce himself was a fairly buff guy who kept the mask on. He spoke clearly through it, as he was use to using such facial masks in harsh winter environments. "You may call me Whig." He did not know or trust these people yet, so he saw little reason to give his real name. "My power is highly situational, so don't consider it personal that I'm not partaking in this meet and greet."

Another woman entered the warehouse, not too far behind from Catherine. She was dressed like a less slutty Bond girl, though she was by all means as beautiful as any of the bodacious starlets who had played such curvacious characters. Noticeably, she had a small handgun holstered by her left hip. "So, which one of you is 'Thallis'?" she asked as she surveyed the room. "My guess is the Asian guy, assuming the organizer is male."
    ClixPsi.png
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited September 2011
    As the others wondered aloud who Thallis was, a girl dressed in a grey hoodie and cargo pants entered the warehouse. She had the appearance and the odor of a hobo, which made sense, seeing as she was a hobo. In her right pocket, she held on to a worn baseball, while in her left pocket, she fiddled with her plane ticket. She glanced around the room and at the people gathered there before sitting down near the entrance. As she was getting comfortable, she thought she heard a woman say something. “Just who does she think she is, anyway? I oughta kick her *** the first chance I get.” The girl’s head snapped up and her eyes darted around the room, looking for the source. Convinced that no one said anything, she put her head down with her hands cupped over her ears.

A couple seconds after Anne's arrival, one more person skidded into the warehouse. Grabbing the door frame with both hands, he caught himself before he crashed into anyone. Quickly noting the number of people that had noted his presence, he straightened up, realigning his baseball cap so that it was crooked. “'Sup? I miss anything?”

“How amusing. The fastest is last. Don't you know that slow and steady wins the race?”

A set of speakers blared out the barb, the lights dimmed, and a projector flickered on. Suspended on the ceiling was a massive image of a man, looking down at the people in the room. At least, it seemed like a man, and he was probably looking at them. A full helmet, some sort of futuristic-looking apparatus, covered his face entirely. His voice had the same modulations as it had had over the phone.

“This is all of the guests I am expecting. Welcome. I have seen that some of you have taken the liberty of divulging your identities to one another. If you now know someone else's name, realize that you are a liability to my endeavors, should you choose not to join them, and you will be dealt with as such. Henceforth, use a codename of your own development.

I have also observed a minor scuffle already. I don't care whether or not all of you become fast friends, but do not waste my time with pettiness.

Now then, if you have not deduced it for yourself, I am Thallis. I have summoned you here for two reasons. First, I believe that I may be of use to you. You all want different things, the specifics of which are currently unimportant to me. However, whether you want money, simple amusement, or something . . . loftier, all of your goals can be achieved through one basic derivative – control. I desire control.

This leads me to my second reason for calling this meeting. I believe all of you are of use to me. Despite my numerous connections, I lack a force that is dedicated purely to me. Trust is a rare commodity in my . . . field. However, I am positive that all of you can understand that in working towards my interests, you work toward your own. Using your abilities, I will have the control I seek. With my control, your current goals will seem insignificant to what I will be able to grant you! I will rule! I will DOMINATE! I WILL HAVE ALL I DEMAND, AND I WILL NOT BE STOPPED BY ANY OVERBEARING BUREAUCRACY OR OUTDATED ETHICAL CODE!”

Thallis paused. He tapped an off-screen button before muttering, “Note to self: susceptible to monologue. Time speeches in future.” He tapped the button again before focusing on the screen again.

“Unless you have questions, you may now pledge loyalty to me. Once we have determined who stays and who . . . leaves, I will provide more specific information on your first mission.
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    After a moment of excitement at seeing the other people's powers, Dr. Hagen spoke up. "I'm Devon. Um, I don't really have a demonstration prepared, but I can explain what I can do. From what I can tell, my body copies the genetic material of any plant seed that I ingest. I develop the features of the plant in question, such as bark or leaf structures. My bones, muscles, and organs are also converted into plant matter, or at least partially. Thankfully I can still see and move and so on when this happens, I don't go into an entirely vegetative state." He chuckled before continuing. He had been keeping his power secret from most people, and it felt good to finally talk about it. "I don't have any choice in the matter, though, besides deciding what to eat. I only discovered the ability after eating a strawberry. That was a little scary, because I didn't know how long it would last. But I'm over that now. I just want to try more plants! People, we have superpowers! Isn't that awesome?" It was clear that Devon thought it was awesome.

“Awesome, yet terrifying,” came the gruff voice of a man from the darkness. The figure that went with that voice appeared soon after. The grizzled, uniformed man had a solid mustache and a stormy grey left eye. His right eye was covered in a black eye patch. He was shorter than most of the men and certainly older than any of the others. He approached his chair, but rested his hand on the top of the back rest instead of sitting down.

“Some of you already know who I am,” he said as he glanced at Todd and Noah. “For those of you who don’t, I am Colonel Sam Steele of the United States Army. You all came here for different reasons.”

He turned to Eric. “Some of you came here because you volunteered.”

He turned to Tory. “Some of you came here because of your experience.”

He turned to Todd. “And some of you came for other reasons.”

The Colonel pulled back his chair and sat down. “But right now, you are here because I am asking you to help defend this country. Why you? Because the vast majority of our troops that have powers will be deployed overseas, protecting our interests while keeping their fellow soldiers alive from the super soldiers of other countries. This means that our resources are a little tight at the moment, and we need men and women such as you that are willing to fight against the increasing crime rate caused by these new powers.” He paused before continuing. “Of course, there is the possibility that you could die, and I understand if that causes you to reconsider. And, seeing as this would be your new job, I understand if this switch in careers won’t work for you. That is why I need to know now who among you is committed to putting their lives on the line for this cause before anyone else gives away their personal information,” he finished as he glared at a few of the talkative ones.
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited September 2011
    "My father died in the September 11th attacks." Eric began. "He was a firefighter, and I tried to become one in his wake. The pay wasn't enough to make a start up, but I stayed on the force as a volunteer. If you're offering some compensation, sir, I can say that I will be more than happy to serve my country at home in this way. Sir, you have my pledge!" He said with a nod to the colonel.

"..Provided you can come up with a reason for why I'm not at my normal job, I'm in..." Tim spoke, speaking to the face on camera. "For now, at least...If I decide this road is going to send me to an early death, I'm out... don't worry about your secret, I can make myself forget it... though I have to wonder about these 'connections' of yours and how far your power extends. I'll stick around and participate for now."
    edited September 2011
    Solitude. Self-sufficiency. Books. Those were the three things Lye sought in her life. All of them near impossible to obtain a limitless quantity of. But all of them also had, as Thallis had put it, a denominator. Money. With enough money, she could get away from people, pay for anything supplies she needed, and buy as many books as she wanted. Money could buy her freedom from the world.

There was a catch, though. Assuming Thallis would deliver on his promises, Lye knew she would still be under the control of this strange man. That alone made true independence impossible. No matter what she gained it would be through Thallis’ grace. Still…it was better than what she had now. Only being forced to interact with one person was better than dealing with the entire world. Lye took in deep breath, and made a low and formal bow towards the screen.

“Agent Garrett Gisbourne, Witness Protection Division of the U.S Marshall Services.”

Garrett stood at attention and spoke directly to Colonel Steele.

“I proudly put my life on the line for the citizens of this country every day. Even if the stakes are higher, the reasons why I do what I do don’t change. If your division is where I can make the biggest difference, then that’s where I want to be, sir.”

Garrett’s eyes darted side to side, remembering he was still in a crowded room full of piercing eyes.

“That is, I mean,” Garrett said, “If you think I can still be useful. If not, I can, um, go back to my old division… If needed. Um, sir.”
    edited September 2011
    "I'm not too crazy about giving up my life. I haven't even been working at my salon for a year. Well, I guess I can always give you guys haircuts." Alana eyed the men with longer hair, giving them a strange smile. "But I really feel like this is something I need to do. So I'm in." She smiled, staring at the Colonel for a moment before giving him an awkward salute with an added, "sir!"

Cali was going to let Thallis know how stupid she thought it was that he considered them a liability if they knew each others' names, but as his evident desire to control everything was made clear, she forgot about this and wondered if her new employer was insane. 'Eh, oh well.' She shrugged, "Well as long as you're paying me I'll do your stupid little missions."
    edited September 2011
    "If I can be of any use to you, I'll gladly offer any help I can give." Abel said. "Besides, I think this would be interesting. This job, I mean." he added.

"I'm willing to work for you, if what you say is true. That you can give us anything we want." Catherine said. She had her head bowed, thinking about her sister as she spoke. "Where did you go?" she thought to herself.
    edited September 2011
    Noah glared at the colonel from across the room, having already had this argument with the man once before. "While I don't share their enthusiasm......I suspect the pay will be better than my old job......and I might still be able to use my back when I'm 50 this way." Noah grimaced when the thought of his old warehouse job trickled into his mind. All those crates he wouldn't have to lift again, all those chemical spills he'd never have to clean up, all those idiotic customers who couldn't work a simple website. ".....I'm in."

---

Bertrand stared up at the large projection of Thallis, his steel jaw portraying the slightest image of a grin. "I admire your charisma, Thallis. I too share something of a disdain for our government and its broken bureaucracy. I'll most certainly join you."
    que?
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "Sir," the commando addressed his potentially new commanding officer, "I will complete my missions here with the utmost care. You know my track record."

The already costumed woman giggled a little at her potential employer's hammy persona. "You can shatter the government however you want. I'll even help if you let me pick up the pieces." The ambitious woman figured this might be a good way to seize power. If anything, she could later betray Thallis if he tried to get in her way.
    ClixPsi.png
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "I'm in!" An enthusiastic young man chimed in. "Rescuing people, and kicking some *** the whole way! I'm sure there will be a damsel or two who would love my company! In other words, you've got yourself a hero!" He was beaming from ear to ear. The group would be hearing a lot more from him

The homeless girl looked down at the ground during her employer's speech. She nodded with his words. He pretty much already knew of her terms. She just wanted a place to eat and sleep.
    So close...And yet so far...
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited September 2011
    “Well if Bertie's in, then I'll stay too.” Trixie readjusted her wig.

“I'll work for you,” Anne muttered, “as long as I can get food and shelter.”

“Yo, you said 'money,' right? I'm in.” Joe nodded.

“Excellent,” came Thallis' warped voice through the speaker. “Your acceptance of my leadership was more resounding than I anticipated. Now, for my contribution to this little party.

In the small metal box near the door, you will find a set of communication devices. There are relatively simple pieces of technology, but they will allow you to coordinate your movements.” Joe reached into the box, pulling out a thick black earphone. “Simply press the button to enter the channel, then speak. There will be one for each of you.

Aside from these gadgets, my only input will initially be information. I will not be financing this fledgling project myself, so it is necessary to acquire funds before anything else. Luckily for you, I have already selected a target for such an acquisition: Washington Green.

If you don't follow the news, Green is estimated to be the world's smartest man. Granted higher intelligence by the . . . event, he is fluent in a wide number of areas, from robotics to medicine. However, a powerful understanding of business and economics have allowed him to become the world's richest man as well. He has already begun giving away his wealth through . . . charity.” Thallis visibly shuddered.

“Since he is already giving money away, we might as well be taking some for our own purposes. Of course, rather than steal a large number of traceable bills, you will be lifting a valuable artifact from his possession. My sources indicate that, in one of his multiple houses, specifically the one located in this city, he holds a famous Faberge egg. Only recently rediscovered by the public, this egg is a small, yet incredibly lucrative asset. I already have a number of high-powered fences in a bidding war over this object, and even the low offers would be sufficient in fueling my vision.

On the metal table in the far corner of the warehouse are the blueprints of the aforementioned house. It is an older building, but Green has updated its security. Aside from the metal palisade surrounding it, the house has at least three guards on duty around the clock, based out of separate building near the entrance. This security station also houses the monitors for a comprehensive camera and alarm system. As long as this system is operational, the police we be alerted if anyone gets ten feet from the house. It is possible to shut down the primary alarm functions, but there a large number of the sensors run independently from the station. Disabling the primary alarm will give you a window of five minutes.

The precise location of the egg is unknown to me. I would suspect it is somewhere on the first floor, so that Green can show it off.

Overall, this should be a straightforward operation: get in, get out, don't get caught. Return here when you have the egg and know you are not being pursued. You have approximately eighteen hours to become acquainted with your fellow thieves and their abilities. I do not care about the specifics of your plan, but I do have two stipulations. First, do not kill anyone. Catching a thief is a much lower priority for the justice system than catching a murderer. Second, you should wear costumes. Your true identities should be obscured, of course, but your new identity should be remembered. I expect this to be the first of many . . . operations, and when I'm finally done, the world will see me, and all who associate themselves with me, as a symbol. Thallis out.” The screen flickered off.
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Until now, Todd had been silent. He turned to face the Colonel and said, “You already have my answer, but I’ll say it again. I’m in.”

Ian stood up and gave an enthusiastic salute. “I am at your command, sir!”

Devon simply nodded, a serious smile on his face. He had been ready for this moment since he was a child.

Colonel Steele took a moment to look over his new team. “Very well,” he said as he pressed a touch screen in front of him. Instantly, various names flickered into being as they were projected where each member was seated. “These are your new codenames. You will refer to each other using these while you are on missions for security reasons. Because of these same security reasons, you are not permitted to reveal the nature of your new assignment while off duty or your true identity during missions to anyone.”

The Colonel cleared his throat. “The most important rule that you must follow is that you are not permitted to kill. With one exception, all of you here are civilians, and even if you were all soldiers, you wouldn’t be allowed to kill. This team is going to be in the public eye, so your actions will reflect on our government. I don’t need to tell you how the people would react to full military action against meta-criminals, you can picture it yourselves. If any of you have questions, now is the time to ask them.” He leaned back in his chair and waited.
    Wait. Did I spell that right?