If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

With Great Power

Comments

• ZaleraZalera Death Seraph Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Abel raised a hand and said, "I only have one question, sir: what should we do if someone discovers our identities?"

"Sounds easy enough." Cathy mumbled to herself. "But what kind of costume am I going to wear? And where can I get one? Anyway, it should be something people would easily notice and remember." she continued to mumble. "The people I know know I'm a very conservative person, so I should probably wear something they know I wouldn't normally wear, something... daring." She stopped mumbling for a moment. She suddenly had an idea and said out loud, "I know! I could just use some clothes I already used from my previous plays and maybe make some changes to them."

Catherine went to the box and took out a communicator and put it in her pocket. "So, um, anyone here want to get acquainted?" she asked everyone. "I mean, um..." She quickly tried to think of what to say. "Hi, there!! I'm Catherine Griffin! Nice to meet you all!"
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "I have a comment, too. This mask," Prosperity said, indicating the mask. "I'd rather not wear it. Heroism shouldn't have to hide itself behind a mask. I'd like to volunteer not to wear this mask when in the field. In addition, I can foresee there being a problem if the protectors of the law are people who wear masks and non-identifying clothes.. People may impersonate us to commit crimes. I understand that there may be a concern for protecting our families, though. If it is out of the question than I will wear the mask, but I would prefer my wife being put into some form of protection and not having to hide the fact that I am protecting the innocent."

Mnemonic looked around the warehouse and sighed, he had revealed his name to these people. Once again, he decided to wipe his name from their memories. Since the name had just recently entered their minds, it would only resurface as a vague notion when his powers faded. He didn't want people knowing his name when going to commit a crime in case they got caught and told the police his identity. He considered wiping everyone's mind of each others names but looked at Trixie, Bertrand, and Catherine and thought, 'don't think it'll do them much good.. blabbermouths.'

"We should refer to each other by codename from now on. I've already got one picked out.." He announced. "Mnemonic. Call me Mnemonic. As for costumes, what do you think we should do? Should we go separate or should this motley crew go hunting en masse for appropriate costumes, wearing the outfits of normal thieves until then?"
    edited September 2011
    "Maybe we could put some kind of logo or insignia on our uniforms? One that can distinguish us from one another." Abel suggested.

"Okay then. You can, um, call me..." Catherine fumbled through her sentence. "C'mon Cathy! Your power is ice manipulation. Uhmmm.... Aha! Got it!" Catherine finally said, "Call me, Frostbite!" she was smiling, proud of her codename she just thought up. "Anyway, I guess it depends on the others if they want to go look for costumes in a group. I actually don't have to go hunting for a costume. I've got a dressing room full of clothes I can use."
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    The Colonel sighed. “If your identity is revealed, your immediate family will be placed under government protection and moved to a safe location. It’s not hard to imagine what some thug might do to your loved ones if they saw your face on T.V.,” he said as he faced Prosperity. “The government would rather not have to put your wife under 24/7 protection.” Steele’s expression softened a bit. “Besides, do you want her to live the rest of her life knowing that she’s a target?”

He turned to face the whole group. “As for someone impersonating you, we will inject a tracking device into your blood stream. As long as it stays inside your body, we’ll be able to prove your innocence.”

He turned to Shock Front. “Any logos on your costume would look like a target to any gun-wielding crook that you might come across. Besides that, they’d be just as easy to replicate as the rest of the costume.”
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited September 2011
    Prosperity nodded. "I understand. I'll use the masks for the time being, and if my identity ever comes out then I'll abandon it."
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Noah glanced up at the codename hovering above his head. "Crank?....What bullsh** is this?" he thought to himself as Colonel Steele rambled on about their duties and various rules of engagement. No killing? What kind of rule was that? Sure they were supposed to be the good guys and everyone expected them to save the innocent in tight fitting underwear but that had never been who he was. "Hold on a minute there, Colonel. I get how you want us to be the noble heroes and all that garbage but most of the people here don't have anywhere the training needed to take someone in alive. Meta-humans or not I've been on the wrong side of the law before and there isn't a crook out there who won't plug your a** to save his own without a moment's hesitation...." Noah spoke in a very matter of fact tone before setting his own guns down on the table. "But.....since you're obviously not going to listen to me. I suppose I should play along.....I'm gonna need a lot of rubber bullets."

----

Bertrand picked up one of the communicators and stuck it in his coat pocket before turning to speak to Mnemonic. "I think it would be best if we did our costume shopping on our own. The less we're all seen together the better off we'll be." The good doctor smiled a bit as he thought about what Thallis had said. Sure the man was just a bit over the top but who wasn't these days. "As for names though, you can call me Dr. Ironhide. Do you like it? I just made it up.....Technically it's not right though I suppose since I'm not made of iron. It's actually an organic steel compound tha-oh listen to me ramble. Anyway, we should get started soon with whatever it is we're going to do."
    que?
    edited September 2011
    Colonel Steele faced Noah. "While it is true that any normal criminal would shoot someone to save himself, the criminals you'll be facing are not normal. Of the reported crimes comitted last month by meta-humans, 91% of the suspects never used firearms. It seems that they thought their new abilities would do the job just as well."

He turned to face the group again. "Of course, this doesn't mean that all of the opponents you face will be unarmed. I'm sure that these new criminals will start to carry weapons just in case. Because of this, each of you will carry a Berreta M9 pistol and four to five cartriges of rubber bullets during missions. These are to be used as a last resort only. You will begin training with these firearms as soon we've covered eveyone's questions."

"Now, you'll notice that you have codenames that hint at your special abilities. Redwood, you can take on the characteristics of plants. Tornado, you can generate tornados. Sketch can draw pictures that come to life. Prosperity can duplicate objects. Shock Front, you can produce sound waves. Dynamic can change the kinetic energy of objects. Relocation teleports things. Scar regenerates. Crank, your adrenaline powers allow you to 'crank it up a notch,' so to speak. And Stealth Command, you can fit into small spaces. Some of you may like your codenames, some of you might not. If you want to change it, let's get it out of the way now."

Anne picked up one of the communicators before heading towards the entrance. "I'm gonna get my costume. If you need me back here, just ring me up," she said as she raised the communicator. Once she reached the entrance, she paused. "Oh, you can call me Psy-KO," she said after a moment. "I move stuff with my mind." With that, she departed.
    edited September 2011
    "I'm okay with my codename, sir. Also, I'm looking forward to the training." Shock Front said.

"Well, I better get going too." Cathy said to herself. Before she could start walking to the door, she turned and said to everyone there, "Hey, guys? If you want, I could lend you some of my stuff for your costumes. Although, most of my stuff are for women so, I wouldn't be much help to the men." She looked at each of them, waiting for their answers.
  • icbmalariaicbmalaria Let Mom sleep Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Alana smiled, "Sketch...it fits. All right, I'll keep it. And yeah, training sounds fun and all but can we take a quick break first?" The hair stylist was craving her nicotine fix.

"No." Cali flatly said in response to Cathy. She grabbed a communicator and made her way for the door. "I already know what I'm going to do for my costume. As for my name, call me Onoma."
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Tory spent a while trying to decide what he'd like to be referred to. He was also going with a fake name, Whig, but he did not want that to be the official persona of his new assignment. He took a think to think of his power. "My power is not very applicable to normal combat. However, I've already tried it out in a few test scenarios at base. The stealth applications are incredible..." He decided to base his codename around the preferred style of his power, "I'll go by Stealth Command."

Claire began to outfit herself with the com device provided by her new employee. "I'm ready to go when you all are. If you all need to pick out costumes, go do that quickly, then get back here so we can go over the exact nature of our powers and how to employ them in a heist. Also, please call me Miss Filibuster."
    ClixPsi.png
    edited September 2011
    "No one wants to come with me? Okay then." Cathy said. "See you later!" she added as she went out. Catherine took a cab going to the local theater where she works. She headed for her dressing room. Once inside, she locked the door.

Catherine went inside her walk-in closet and scanned through her clothes. She found a pair of white, leather, elbow-length gloves. She threw them outside, deciding if she could use them. Catherine looked further and found a pair of white, leather, thigh-high boots. She threw those outside as well. After searching for a few minutes, she found a few clothes she could use. She eventually settled on using a blue, thong leotard, and the gloves and boots she found earlier.

Cathy immediately started to make some changes to the leotard. It was a good thing there was an old sewing machine and sewing tools just sitting there in her dressing room. She removed the leotard's sleeves and gave it a plunging, v-shaped neckline that reaches down to her navel. After half an hour, she was done altering her costume.

"Not as daring as I had hoped, but this will do." she said. Cathy put all her stuff inside a backpack and quickly got out of the theater, trying to avoid getting noticed by her co-workers. She then took a cab back to the warehouse. Before going inside, she suddenly remembered something. "I need a mask!"
    edited September 2011
    Mnemonic simply nodded to Filibuster as he left, grabbing one of the earpieces. He had an idea for at least a temporary costume until he could procure something better. He approached a nearby payphone and took the yellow-book that sat nearby. Thumbing through the pages, he found several painting businesses. He looked for the most old-timey one and set out for the address. It was an unfortunate walk, as Tim had forgotten how to tie his shoes for the day, and nearly tripped quite frequently. Eventually, he made it to the painter's house and, finding the door locked, he climbed a tree and looked into the master bedroom. He focused on the man, making him forget that he had locked the front door. Tim stared at the man for several minutes, still channeling this lost memory into his head, when the man sat bolt upright in bed, the memory erasure had worked.

Time descended the tree and knocked on the door, so as to alert the man further. When the door opened, Tim was ready and erased the man's knowledge of his presence. Tim snuck in and quickly found a white painters uniform. Upon procuring the uniform, Mnemonic left the household. He looked back and, for fun, decided to go one step further. Lucky for Mnemonic, the house of a painter had plenty of paints lying around, and so the villain spraypainted a small Mnemonic device on the house side, "Super Man Helps Every One" with the words Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario crawling from beneath the first letters of each word.

Mnemonic hoped that any cops seeing this would think that he had been leaving some cryptic clue as to the location of his next crime. He then went to a late-night costume store and purchased a white domino mask. He also saw a Blank Face mask and bought that as well. Finally, he got a cab ride back toward the warehouses, and on the way there, he began to scribble various mnemonic devices onto his newly acquired costume. When he arrived back at the warehouse, nearly 3 hours had gone by and it would now nearly be morning. He was hoping Filibuster wasn't so foolish as to try attacking in broad daylight. They could use this time to plan, though, he supposed. Mnemonic entered and set his costume over to the side, he would change into it later. For the time being, he wanted to return to his hotel and have a shower, but he figured it best not to keep people with potentially more destructive powers waiting.
    edited September 2011
    Cali didn't say anything in response to Claire as she left. Onoma had a good idea of what she wanted for her costume but knew she wouldn't be able to get everything for it until later when more stores were open. She arrived back at the hotel she was staying in and immediately started digging through her clothes. Cali set aside a tight, black top and white booty shorts that amusingly said 'POW!' on the butt. She threw them on and put on a pair of black boots before making her way back out. There was something missing still. Oh right. She needed a mask or something. She went back into her room and grabbed her sunglasses. Onoma looked over herself in the mirror for a moment. It didn't look like she envisioned but it would do for now. Finally, grabbing her purse she headed back to the warehouse. She was still wearing Bertrand's lab-coat, using it to conceal her temporary costume underneath. She sat down and waited for the others with a very apparent bored expression.
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "Um, call me . . ." Joe struggled to come up with an alias. "Ms. Filibuster was pretty good . . ."

". . . Mr. Fast. Nonononono, waitwaitwait. That sucked." He thought about it again. "Mach. Yeah, call me Mach. Because I'm as fast as, well, you know, I'm really fast."

Four hours later

Mach woke up with a start. It had been easy for him to zip back to his apartment, grab some souvenirs he had kept from his last couple jobs, grab a bite, then rush back. He had noticed that he could move much faster in his leather getup, as his goggles kept the wind out of his eyes, and his pants were fastened properly. He had been asleep, and had missed the return of most of the others. Looking around, he nodded approvingly. "Dude, this is just like that Halloween party I went to, where the girls dressed all slutty and I got completely wasted and then . . . Wait, what happened after that?"

He shook the memory off and got up. "Nobody got caught coming back here, right?" A couple seconds later he was at the metal table, looking at the blueprints. "The big guy said I could just run in and run out, right? Why did he even bother hiring you guys?"
    edited September 2011
    "Well, if you think you could get the job down without being caught, go ahead," Ms. Filibuster responded. "Don't worry; we'll be sure to get the job done after you've failed."
    ClixPsi.png
    edited September 2011
    Mach bristled. "Oh yeah? What've you got that's so much better?"
    edited September 2011
    "A brain. At least a functioning one," Cali interrupted with a smirk.
    edited September 2011
    Catherine laughed at Cali's remark. She had just slipped into her costume and put her previous clothing in her backpack; she left it at the side since there's nothing valuable inside. She sat on the table with her legs crossed and said to Mach, "Our missions will have a higher chance of success if we work together. Besides, ever heard of the saying: 'the more, the merrier'?"
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Callie, who decided to call herself Zookeeper, was standing next to Cali at this point, looking down at the ground. "I'll do...whatever I can to help." She said quietly. She had looted from people's houses before, usually in the form of a squirrel or cat. This would probably only be a bit harder.
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited September 2011
    Mnemonic arrived as well, adorned in his normal day-clothes, he held his costume in a duffle bag. He listened as the one girl mentioned that she could turn into a cat. "Okay, I think it might be necessary for us to know each other's powers first." He pointed at Mach "You can run fast" Frostbite "Freeze things" Onoma "Something with words I think you said" himself "I can manipulate memories. And I'm guessing Ironhide's power is just that. I don't think we ever got anything out of that other kid though, something that can unravel clothes at the least.." He glanced at Cali, thinking maybe she could have provided more of an answer.

Mnemonic then looked at Filibuster "The only ones completely unaccounted for are you, mopey here" nodding toward Zookeeper, "and that other woman, the one that might have actually been homeless. Given your choice of name, I hope it has something to do with speech."

"I think it best we actually go stake out the place using our stealthy members. I nominate myself, I can wipe my presence from anybody's memories. What do ya say Senator?" He deferred to Filibuster, thinking she carried the most leaderlike poise out of them, even though she had not said much.
    edited September 2011
    Onoma frowned at Mnemonic, "I don't know. Her hand turned pink, she touched my shirt and it came apart. If all she can do is ruin clothes then I see no need for her. Why the f*** would that be useful?"

"But yeah, just so we know you're not useless either, let's see your powers." Cali directed at Claire and Cassie. While she waited for them to explain or demonstrate she listened as Tim suggested they send their stealthy members. Sounded good. Cali didn't see her powers being considered stealthy but figured if anything she could provide back up if they f***ed up somehow. "It's not a bad idea, I guess. But who else would go? Obviously not metal man and obviously not the loud mouth brat. Though if you can erase memories I don't see why we all can't go get the damn egg."
    edited September 2011
    "There's still the issue of surveillance. Memory manipulation can only go so far, I would imagine." Ms. Filibuster critiqued Onoma's suggestion. "Now, if I may have the floor, I will demonstrate my powers as you have so called upon. Unfortunately, at the moment, you are not aware of my powers. See, as long as I am talking, I can dominate your mind with my powers. You can only escape this grasp by submitting to my will. For example, I will release you, Mnemonic, should you agree to lead the stealth operation. The rest of you can only be released if you should accept my leadership." Throughout her speech, the other members of Thallis were unable to move or even really think. ((OK, more or less taking a pause here. She will keep talking so long as people resist her. So you all have a moment to choose to break free. For those who don't, I will keep talking. GMs, if you wish to move on but there are players who have not posted, please do so for them.))
    ClixPsi.png
    edited September 2011
    "I would've done it anyways." Mnemonic said as he was released. He waited for the others to be come around before he would answer Cali about his memory manipulation and how it would not be completely helpful due to his own limitations.
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited September 2011
    ((Jezus H. Christ this girl and her clothes...))

As soon as Trixie had left the building she pulled out her phone and texted Jarvis to come get her and bring the wig she had planned to use for prom. As she walked she scrolled down through her contacts list and dialed the one she wanted.

"Hello?" A woman answered.
    "Hey Ms. Millicent, I see you still keep odd hours."
    "Who is this?"
    This is Miss Martin, you'll probably remember me from my Halloween costume request," Trixie smiled.
    "Oh, the crazy girl that needed her costume done that same day," Ms. Millicent laughed. "Well what do you need this time? I'm in the middle of finishing up some shoes."

The car pulled up and Trixie climbed in the back and gestured to Jarvis to wait for a moment, "I have another challenge for you. I want you to make me something like a fairy-ballerina costume. I want it to be mostly pink, and I need a mask. Don't worry, I promise I'll pay well."

The woman groaned, "You better. How much time do I get this time?"
    "I need it done by morning at the latest, earlier would be better," Trixie said flatly.
    "You're crazy."
    "Can you do it?" Trixie asked.
    "Of course I can," Millicent responded bluntly and hung up.

"Jarvis," Trixie said looking at the man, "Time to go shopping. I need shoes and wings. Find somewhere that's open."
    "Yes Miss," he said and began driving.

They arrived at a Wal-mart and Trixie arched an eyebrow in disdain before sending the butler in. He returned after a while with a pair of simple pink flats and some wings. She eyed them with distaste and tried them on. "They'll have to do for now I suppose," she relented, knowing that if this was the only place Jarvis could think of then she would have to deal with it.

Next they stopped by the store Trixie usually got her wigs from. After several phone calls and a tantrum, an angry and tired shop owner finally let them in if only to make her shut up. She calmly handed him the wig and explained what she wanted. The man walked into the back of the store and Trixie bought a soda from the drink machine. She couldn't chance falling asleep away from home.

When the man had finished he practically threw them out as soon as she had paid and by the time they reached the car the lights were already out again. They then began driving towards the designer's house.

"Hey Jarvis, what do you think of Miss. Fortune being a super villain's name? I want an honest opinion," Trixie asked while staring out the window.
    "Sounds fine to me young Miss."
    She nodded in satisfaction and they sat silently until they reached the woman's house.

When they walked up to the door Jarvis rang the bell. A disheveled looking woman answered the door with pins in between her teeth, "I hope you haven't changed size too much, I had to use your measurements from Halloween. Come on, we need to get you fitted." She pulled Trixie back and began assembling the costume around her pinning it in place.

The woman tisked as she worked, "Always these last minute requests. You need to let me have a decent amount of time for something at some point. Then you'll really see my skill."
    "How about I let you design my prom-dress?"
    "It's a deal." The woman smirked in satisfaction, "Don't complain if it's not to your tastes though."
    "Fine," Trixie flinched as the woman accidentally stuck her with a pin.
    "Stop moving and that won't happen dear."

When the woman finished pinning it she carefully took it off of Trixie and shooed her out of the room to wait with Jarvis. When she finally finished she called Trixie back and put the costume on her doing the finishing touches. Once they were finished Jarvis took off his jacket and draped it over Trixie's shoulders as she filled out a check.

"Thank you." Trixie smiled, "It's lovely."
    "Not a problem, just try to give me more time next time."
    Trixie laughed, "I'll do my best."

Millicent showed them to the door and she and Jarvis climbed into the car her skirt rustling against the leather. She pulled on the wings and changed to the altered wig as they drove and then set about doing her makeup before she slipped on the mask. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. She liked the way her glowing eyes contrasted with the darker mask. As they got closer she pulled some food and an energy drink from the mini-fridge before quickly eating them. By the time she was done they had arrived and she slipped on the shoes. They weren't as comfortable as she would have liked, but she could always take them off if she needed. She thanked Jarvis and stepped out of the car leaving his jacket with him and quickly made her way back to the warehouse. As she neared it she realized she was probably the last one back. She decided to begin skipping for the last length to the warehouse and when she arrived she called out brightly, "I'm back everyone!" ((Time edit for the convenience of Bolts)) Having gotten within Filibuster's voice by this point she ended up receiving the instructions to accept her as her leader as well. She shrugged not really caring who was in charge, "Okayyyyy." She sang out and was released from Ms. Filibuster's power.

((Erm... assuming everyone's seen the chibi by now, but if I need to add description into the post I'll edit it later.))
    edited September 2011
    "Okay, I don't really care who leads as long as I get what I want." Cathy said, releasing herself from Ms. Filibuster's power.
    edited September 2011
    After a moment of silence, the Colonel stood up. "Since no one else seems to have any objections to their codenames, how about I show you around after a quick break?"

As he began to walk away from the table, the room was suddenly illuminated by lights above, revealing just how white and bland it was. "There's a break room with vending machine and a smoking area to the left. Once everyone's ready, I'll give you the grand tour."

"Uh, Colonel?" asked Todd. "I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was wondering, where are we?"

Steele turned and said very matter-of-factly "We're in the secret sixth side of the Pentagon. You are not allowed to tell anyone else about this location under penalty of death."
    edited September 2011
    "...Ok then...well I'll make sure I don't tell anyone." Alana responded wide-eyed to Steele. She sort of wished she didn't know where she was now. Oh well. With the permission for the break she quickly made her way to the vending machine and bought herself a soda and hot fries, which she then took into the smoking section and quickly devoured while puffing on a cigarette. "Sooooooo goooood!!!", she mumbled between chomps of hot fries.

Cali regrettably accepted the woman's leadership. She didn't like how the b**** just forced it on everyone, but as Cali took a minute to consider everyone else in the room, blondie was sadly the best leader they had. "Well I assumed we all knew it was obvious the place with the priceless egg would have security cameras," Onoma snapped, "I wonder if it'd be a good idea to try to cut them off before we steal the f***ing egg." She glared around at everyone, stopping at Trixie, not recognizing her right away. "God damn it, you're back..." Cali groaned in distaste for a moment, staring at her outfit, "My god and I thought you were annoying before. Why the f*** isn't anyone here normal!?" Onoma held her head as if she had a headache, "Oh man, I can't wait to hear the name you came up with. What is it? And what the hell are your powers?"
  • InsaneWhisperInsaneWhisper Better dig your heels in Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Trixie pursed her lips in annoyance at Cali's reaction, "Oh because you're so much more normal than us." She wrinkled her nose, "As for my power, I cause bad luck. Consider yourself lucky I only ruined your clothes you vulgar cow." She then turned to the others and smiled happily giving a little twirl that swished her skirt around, "As for my name you can all call me Miss. Fortune!"
    edited September 2011
    "The sixth side of the Pentagon? . . . DEATH?" The newly named Redwood tried to understand what Colonel Steele was telling him. ". . . Awesome. Uniforms, code names, a super-secret headquarters. This is the real deal! This place must be really important, unless they just really didn't want to rename it the Hexagon."

Devon followed Alana into the break room and began feeling around his outfit. "I could have sworn I moved my money over when I changed . . . Aha!" Extracting a dollar from a pocket, he then inspected the vending machine. "I can't have anything with potentially whole peanuts," he mentioned offhandedly to Alana. "At least, without going a little green. I miss peanuts . . ." He punched a couple buttons, and a chocolate bar dropped to the base of the machine.

Mach went slack-jawed. He had only been half-following the conversation, but now he was fixed upon it, and in fact could not avoid it. Would he accept Filibuster as a leader? He could only understand that if he accepted, he would be freed. On the other hand, he could try to wait out the woman's speech, because who the hell was she to tell him what to do? The stuntman stood in place, staring and silent.
    edited September 2011
    "Oh I see. You're on the strict no peanut diet." Alana joked. She took a sip of soda and realized she didn't exactly know what he was talking about, "...but uh what do you mean by going green? You don't mean throwing up do you?" She immediately felt stupid because she suddenly remembered he was the one who got the codename Redwood and something about plants and turning into them. "Wait! It's because of your powers isn't it?...you don't turn into a peanut do you?"