If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Zeboyd Games Resurrects Penny Arcade Adventures

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited August 2011 in Latest Updates
After creating an undead hero in their first game and awakening an ancient evil in their second, Zeboyd Games decided to revive a cancelled series for their third title. Penny Arcade Adventures returns in 2012 thanks to the help of this indie developer.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Holy totally unexpected new project batman
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2011
    OMG. That's awesome news.

EDIT: Also, scoop? None of my feeds are reporting this. Hot diggity exclusive!

EDIT EDIT: 16-bit style sounds like a good fit. From the demo of Episode 1, I got the impression that they were striving for 16-bit era combat style despite having everything 3D rendered and shiny. This is awesome news. I wonder if they'll redo the old games for consistency?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Holy cap. That's awesome news.

EDIT: Also, scoop? None of my feeds are reporting this. Hot diggity exclusive!

EDIT EDIT: 16-bit style sounds like a good fit. From the demo of Episode 1, I got the impression that they were striving for 16-bit era combat style despite having everything 3D rendered and shiny. This is awesome news. I wonder if they'll redo the old games for consistency?
    Revealed during a face-to-face meeting with Zeboyd by RPGamer staff at PAX. We will be recording a full-on interview tomorrow morning.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited August 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Revealed during a face-to-face meeting with Zeboyd by RPGamer staff at PAX. We will be recording a full-on interview tomorrow morning.
    Niiiice. This is probably really exciting for Zeboyd since they're regulars on the PA forums too.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2011
    Zeboyd, you are gods among gaming developers. T_T
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Um..holy...I mean...wow....

THAT was not something I expected. WOOHOOOOO!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Whoa, big news!

As a side note, we had a discussion at the office about live and indie titles and someone brought up "That guy that's making all the money on 8-bit RPG throwbacks." Yep, he was talking about Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Just saw this mentioned in passing on the PA forums and came here to dig up one of the Zeboyd threads to see if it was true. Glad to see both that it is fact and that RPGamer is already on top of the story. My respect for Zeboyd Games just keeps on growing.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited August 2011
    Rebochan said:
    As a side note, we had a discussion at the office about live and indie titles and someone brought up
    I really wish I had gone to the "Indie Games will shoot you in the knees" panel at PAX East this year. I feel like that's an oddly prescient title given how smaller games this year are building a bit more buzz than bigger titles in some cases.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Wow. This isn't just some game. This is from a guy we've joked with for a while now. We also watched him rise from nothingness together. How often do you see news that's not only awesome, but makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? It's like seeing a friend win the lottery.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I look forward to forming a party of Annarchy, Fruit *EFF*er and Cthulhu.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Now that I'm back home and not on the phone I've got a couple questions, assuming Zeboyd pops in and it's not too soon to ask. First off I'm wondering with the side view combat if you're trying to maintain some continuity with the combat systems in the first two games, stuff like the atb-style timers and using oranges in battle to distract the anthropomorphized juicers, or if you're going with more of your own thing? Also curious how the writing works out, you guys have a great sense of humor so I could see the PA gentlemen just letting you go at it and maybe making a few suggestions here and there, but I could also see them wanting to be more heavily involved. Again, if this is stuff you can't go into yet I totally understand and also let me say once again that this is fantastic news.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I enjoyed both BoD7 and CStW, but I felt they were a little bit unbalanced. If they fixed that, it could be great.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Robert Boyd seems like a pretty cool guy to me. That is all.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Just went through my staff email and saw the original message about this game. I like that it had to be prefaced with "Seriously, this is not a practical joke."
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    This is incredible.

Will the lightning bolts still be there, and will they still be awesome?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2011
    HyphyKezzy said:
    Just saw this mentioned in passing on the PA forums and came here to dig up one of the Zeboyd threads to see if it was true. Glad to see both that it is fact and that RPGamer is already on top of the story. My respect for Zeboyd Games just keeps on growing.
    Yeah, those of us at PAX that thoroughly checked our swag bags got fliers that said the news in a vague sort of way.
  • abaraabara Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I wasn't really into either the original PA games or Breath of Death/Cthulhu, but this sounds awesome for Zeboyd and a great example of XBLA indie developers actually parlaying success into greater opportunities. Congratulations.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Sweet! But now I feel compelled to make the time to play the first two episodes... at some point.

Congrats Bill and Robert! I'm so proud of you guys!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    I find it awesome how this announcement just sold me the first two games in the series.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

I'm still recovering from all the stress and excitement of PAX, but hopefully I'll have some more information for you all in the near future. :)
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2011
    You're quite welcome. Now I need to get off my lazy butt and finish Breath of Death VII.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
    edited August 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Breath of Death VII.
    Me too! I wish the games had Steam cloud support. It'd be nice to be able to play the game on my laptop when traveling without having to manually migrate the saves. I don't think it's terribly hard to implement either, Zenimax (Bethesda/id parent company) updated most of their catalog to use it during QuakeCon and it didn't require a client side patch.