If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer - 2011 and Beyond: The RPGs We Want Now

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
As we get ready for the rush of games coming at the end of 2011, we look at those and beyond to highlight our most wanted RPGs. There is a lot of variety in the upcoming months, so hopefully there will be something for everybody.

To the RPG list!
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    All my most anticipated games are honourable mentions. Last Story is my pick of the litter, with Dead Island sating my WRPG lusts.

I am also intensely curious about XIII-2, but after XIII I am a little gun shy.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Torchlight 2 / D3 are my mains right now. It's looking increasingly like D3 is going to slip and Torchlight 2 will scratch the Diablo itch until that comes out. And for $20 it'll be a nice companion piece for those times when I'm away from an Internet connection or just want to muck around with some mods. Win-win.

Skyward Sword is probably a pre-order from Amazon for me.

Curious about Skyrm (hearing good stuff about this) and XIII-2 (still hoping S-E gets out of their rut this generation) although I don't see myself waiting in line for either of them.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Skyward Sword does sound tantalising to me, but motion controls dissipate my every intention of playing it.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2011
    My top picks were Reckoning, Trails in the Sky SC, The Last Story, and Dark Souls. Xenoblade would have been a pick, too, had I got this done before it was released in Europe.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Dark Souls and D3 for me. My Problem with Torchlight 2 is that Torchlight 1 was, if anything, Diablo 0.5...good for the $3 I spent on it, but not good enough to stop me from picking up D2 again. Unless it's a huge improvement, I'd rather wait and save my money for the real deal.

Edit: Also wish that Borderlands 2 had been officially announced before this feature was put together. It's definitely on my "beyond" list.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    Skyward Sword does sound tantalising to me, but motion controls dissipate my every intention of playing it.
    I played the GC version of Twilight Princess. I bought the Wii version for hacking purposes and played the first hour. The controls didn't seem too bad. It could get old over the course of a 40-hour game though.
    edited August 2011
    The sword controls on the Wii version weren't terrible, aside from trying to use the nunchuk for the shield. That had like a 25% success rate for me. I'm hoping Skyward Sword has better motion controls than "waggle = push button B" though.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Reckoning is shaping up to be our staff's next Back Sigil. It started out on the obscure side. We internally built up a lot of hype for it amongst ourselves. We got to visit the developers. We wanted more people to be hyped about it so it gets more attention on the site. Hopefully the end result is better for Reckoning than it was for Black Sigil.

And I know Reckoning isn't nearly as obscure as Black Sigil, however within their subgenres they're similar; I doubt many gamers in NA would put Reckoning on top of their hype lists with so many major western RPGs on the horizon.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited August 2011
    7thCircle said:
    Reckoning is shaping up to be our staff's next Back Sigil. It started out on the obscure side. We internally built up a lot of hype for it amongst ourselves. We got to visit the developers. We wanted more people to be hyped about it so it gets more attention on the site. Hopefully the end result is better for Reckoning than it was for Black Sigil.

And I know Reckoning isn't nearly as obscure as Black Sigil, however within their subgenres they're similar; I doubt many gamers in NA would put Reckoning on top of their hype lists with so many major western RPGs on the horizon.
    I see your point. But in this case, we're not alone. If you follow the hype for this out of gamescom, you'll see that it's not just me being crazy. I know what you mean though, it's a new IP and therefore all the major existing franchises typically get hyped more. This case, a few of us have seen it, we've watched the trailers. It might not be good, but we're excited about it. This time we're not alone hyping an indie DS game. Break away from the sheep that only have interest in the same series and get your eyes on this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited August 2011
    At the risk of seeming cliche, I'll got with Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim. Dead Island and Dark Souls seem interesting too, and I'll probably eventually grab XIII-2 (after rebuying/finishing XIII :P).
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Maybe I'm just really out of the loop, but I didn't even know there was a sequel to Demon's Souls coming and I really wanted to play that but didn't have a PS3. I see that this one is coming to PC and I'm pretty hyped. That, Skyrim and ToA top my list.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2011
    CofLSilk said:
    Dark Souls and D3 for me. My Problem with Torchlight 2 is that Torchlight 1 was, if anything, Diablo 0.5...good for the $3 I spent on it, but not good enough to stop me from picking up D2 again. Unless it's a huge improvement, I'd rather wait and save my money for the real deal.

Edit: Also wish that Borderlands 2 had been officially announced before this feature was put together. It's definitely on my "beyond" list.
    You are going to want to look at Path of Exile. It was my favorite surprise of PAX. It's like Diablo 2.5; the big difference being that the skill system is similar to FF7's materia system, though more robust, and it has a passive skill/attribute system similar to FFX's grid. It's quite interesting and versatile and provides for far more combinations than Diablo II's skill trees. And they're making it free to play. And it's a hell of a lot more fun to play than Torchlight.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Honestly I want The Last Story but Solatorobo gonna be great fun when I'm running around town
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    shoptroll said:
    The sword controls on the Wii version weren't terrible, aside from trying to use the nunchuk for the shield. That had like a 25% success rate for me. I'm hoping Skyward Sword has better motion controls than "waggle = push button B" though.
    Journalist reports on the motion control for Skyward Sword are quite positive, including from people who hated the TP motion controls. Plus, if you've never played with a Wii Motion Plus, the accuracy is far better and you can do a lot more with it. I agree on hoping that the nunchuck shield isn't in, though. I've played 2-3 games that want you to do that, and it just doesn't work.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Lemme think here... of the main list all I want is Mass Effect 3, though I do have mild interest in Solatorobo and Loh: SC.

From the honorable mentions: Totori and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny for sure, with mild interest in Fate/Extra and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 2011
    My most wanted is definitely Trails in the Sky SC, followed closely behind by Tales of Xillia which is understandably absent due to Graces. Coming in at third is Devil Survivor 2 which also isn't included. Oh well :P

This list is full of games that are probably going to be pretty good, but none of them really strike me as must haves except Trails 2. I'm reasonably certain that Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 will provide some good entertainment, but I can wait for them. There's also a few that may end up being good or bad, like FF13-2, Amalur, and Fate/Extra. All in all its a really solid line up of upcoming games.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    The Reason We Want It: There have been so many games in the series that have not received an English release that we're glad to get any of them.
    I hate to nitpick, but no we would not be glad to get ANNNNNNNNYYYYYYY of them, like say Tales of the Tempest.
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    well, scratch that. You've got Dark Souls listed as coming to PC and it isn't. That sucks, I was starting to get excited for it.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2011
    Tales of Xillia, it can't arrive on my doorstep soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2011
    Wheels said:
    I hate to nitpick, but no we would not be glad to get ANNNNNNNNYYYYYYY of them, like say Tales of the Tempest.
    I think at this point all we want is the PS1 Tales games on the PSN (I think we'd all pay $10 each just for those games).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
    edited August 2011
    Glowing Hyren said:
    well, scratch that. You've got Dark Souls listed as coming to PC and it isn't. That sucks, I was starting to get excited for it.
    Sorry, typo on my part. Fixed now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • stealthstealth Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2011
    Its funny in the SC entry they say its the game that makes them think jrpgs are not dead......And then the majority of there list and honorable mentions are jrpgs!!!!!!

Others missed........tales of the abyss 3ds, dq joker 2, 13-2 to name a few just in the US alone
    edited August 2011
    13-2 and Abyss 3D are on the honorable mentions list, and we didn't miss Joker 2, it just didn't get enough votes to make the main list. We voted from a list of everything confirmed or very likely for North America in the next few months and then in the next year or so.
    edited August 2011
    Well if it included the nexy year the another world will get localized along with abunch of other stuff but that wasnt my main point

I just think its hilarious you guys would even bring up the "death" of jrpgs will your list is chock full of them thats all. It was funny to me
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Mass Effect 3 was on my list, but a recent interview suggested the game has been watered down a lot to appeal to new players. End of the trilogy, not the end of Mass Effect.

Dead Island is Borderlands with zombies and melee, so I can't wait until next week, and Borderlands 2 itself is also high up on my list. Dark Souls and Skyrim are also way up there. Darn good time to be an RPG fan.
    edited August 2011
    Where does Dishonored fall on the spectrum? There hasn't been anything that exactly screams RPG from the previews, but it's definitely toeing the Deus Ex line.
    edited August 2011
    dead island is not an rpg to me.

Border lands and zelda are, so is mass effect 3..............

Other ones I am importing type zero, legend of heroes blue, 7th dragon 2020, and more.
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Persona 5 now needs to be added to the list :) although I agree with pretty much everything else.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
    edited September 2011
    randal77 said:
    Persona 5 now needs to be added to the list :) although I agree with pretty much everything else.
    Nah, P5 is still too far out for this list. It's in VIII Versus (if that gets localized) and Dragon Age 3 territory. We know it's coming, but who knows when?
    edited September 2011
    grand knight history devil survivor 2 and so many more I cant think off