If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIII-2 To Feature Time Travel

QuinQuin これはメタですRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
I come from the future. I need your clothes, boots and your copy of Versus XIII. Not out yet? Dammit, I'm too early.

[NEWS]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Comments

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I was joking in another forum that Noel is Serah and Snow child then it all went into a debate of Snow+Serah vs. Snow+Lighting then it went to DBZ talk that Noel is the Trunks of Final Fantasy.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    Time Travelling shenanigans? I wonder if one of the characters will be a robot from the future...
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if Noel was the love-child of Serah and Snow. Also, please let there not be any sequences in the past that will allow Vanille to make an appearance.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Wasn't the entire point of Lightning's original mission saving Vanille and Fang? Of course they're going to show up.

It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII. There's plenty of other games out there that definitely won't have those characters, you know.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited September 2011
    CofLSilk said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Noel was the love-child of Serah and Snow. Also, please let there not be any sequences in the past that will allow Vanille to make an appearance.
    Oh, they will be, and odds are you'll be doing something that ends up creating a Continuity Nod.
    User Database Check
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:
    Wasn't the entire point of Lightning's original mission saving Vanille and Fang? Of course they're going to show up.

It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII. There's plenty of other games out there that definitely won't have those characters, you know.
    Hey now, I don't want to play FFXIII-2 because it doesn't have enough FFXIII. I wanted to play Lightning again. I have no interest in Serah/Noel. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited September 2011
    time travel, like i can warn my past self not to buy the original xiii?

i couldn't be bothered with xiii after the "stone-guardian-temple", because although the graphics were excellent, it felt too much of a drag and a whiney, cheesy and cliched soap-opera to me.

i havent played it for months but just yesterday i watched all the cutscenes i missed, from the game. it was definately more fun watching it than playing :P

after that i watched the xiii-2 trailer and i can't understand why snowe isn't with serah, and lightning seems to be trapped in some timeless-corridor or something. i don't think i will buy this game, because even if they improved the gameplay, the style( mechanical world, monster design) is the same which i didnt like aswell.

well, probably when its like 10-20 euros or something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Trance Radiance Infinity

[video=youtube;Hs5AnDTPUYI]
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    FFXIII's story was a waste of an interesting setting. I liked the universe they created, so I'm hopeful that they can get the story right this time around (though I wouldn't bet on it). It definitely sounds more interesting so far.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:

I think that a lot of people would like a version of FFXIII that doesn't suck.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I can't say I was a fan of the "mostly" on rails FFXIII. The extent of non-rails gameplay was a large outdoor area you could wander about and do find-and-kill quests (in sequence no less.. ha). Thus far, it's not clear to me that this one will be an improvement. Lightning was the only character I liked in the first one, and apparently she's not playable?
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I remember reading some XIII-centred forum in the lead up to the Japanese release of the original. There was a "leaked" story synopsis that culminated in the party time-travelling back to the start of the game's events to fight the final boss when he was more vulnerable (or something to that effect). Ahhh... Pre-release hype!

Time travel is cool and Chrono Trigger is awesome so I'm interested to see where they go with this.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    I think that a lot of people would like a version of FFXIII that doesn't suck.
    I already got that, it was called FFXIII.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Wheels said:
    I already got that, it was called FFXIII.
    Oh, I forgot to check if it was opposite day ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited September 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    Oh, I forgot to check if it was opposite day ...
    More like you forgot to write down that opinions do not equal facts.
    User Database Check
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Time Travelling shenanigans? I wonder if one of the characters will be a robot from the future...
    I wonder if they'll actually pay Rick Astley this time...

[video=youtube;UoLnGigtFe8]

[QUOTE=Wheels]I already got that, it was called FFXIII.

Well, to be fair, people would probably go away from FFXIII with the impression that it was nothing more than a grind tube mainly because of how back-ended this one was.

SE'll be just fine if they remember to even out the gameplay and keep the cutscenes to a respectable length.

[QUOTE=Rebochan]It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII.

Well, I don't think anyone's gonna have any problems with Fang, she was cool. The problem people had with Vanille was that she was the spaz character, but didn't come off as charming as Yuffie or even Selphie. If she's shown any evidence at all of growth in FFXIII-2, I'm sure she'll be welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2011
    One day I will play FFXIII.

Actually, nah.
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Yes exactly. I'd love to live in a world where FFXIII was awful, because then I'd never have played things like ClaDun.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    A lot of people did not like it, Sam I Am (but actually my name is flamethrower). The evidence is length of discussions surrounding the game (though that can indicate a vocal minority).

A quick check of the metacritic for this game for more evidence: Critics give 83, gamers give 82 (PS3 ver.). It's typical for gamer scores to be higher than critic scores (check any game that sold a smallish number of copies; I checked Plants vs Zombies PC which was five points higher than critics for gamers).

It sounds like the story has completely changed and there will be only minor changes to the gameplay. If you did not like FF13, don't buy this, it's more of the same. The converse is also true.

So...do you people like time travel stories? How does time travel work anyway?
    It seems that most games go.... 600A.D. is a time period. Anytime the characters go to 600A.D., they "resume where they left off" at least time-wise, so they will never run into copies of themselves (which would happen if they did always go back to the same time). The other option is all time periods progress equally, so an hour spent in 2300AD will mean when the characters return to 600AD, an hour will have passed. Arbitrary time travel is freaky and not often played with in stories.

"...and I have come back from the future....to terminate Gray Davis and take back Sacramento!!!" -JibJab parodying then governor candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger
    edited September 2011
    flamethrower said:
    A quick check of the metacritic for this game for more evidence: Critics give 83, gamers give 82 (PS3 ver.). It's typical for gamer scores to be higher than critic scores (check any game that sold a smallish number of copies; I checked Plants vs Zombies PC which was five points higher than critics for gamers).
    So your argument for it being a bad game is that gamers rated it more solidly a B- than reviewers?
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Still looking forward to this even though I ddin't like FF13. I may not have liked the gameplay, but the stories of western games tend to be dry. Hard enough finding JRPG's on the Xbox.
    Happens a lot around here, heh heh.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Wheels said:
    So your argument for it being a bad game is that gamers rated it more solidly a B- than reviewers?
    If anything, it's an indicator that the fanbase is probably more divided than ever before. Yeah, B- isn't bad... except no other key entry in the the series has even scored below an A- prior to that except some releases of games like FFI-III. That does show that for once the series wasn't praised up and down in the manner it is accustomed to. The numbers just show that the game is highly divisive between critics AND fans, which is an interesting thing to see in such a long-running series.
    edited September 2011
    Clix said:
    If anything, it's an indicator that the fanbase is probably more divided than ever before. Yeah, B- isn't bad... except no other key entry in the the series has even scored below an A- prior to that except some releases of games like FFI-III. That does show that for once the series wasn't praised up and down in the manner it is accustomed to. The numbers just show that the game is highly divisive between critics AND fans, which is an interesting thing to see in such a long-running series.
    I agree completely.
    edited September 2011
    Wheels said:
    how about characters with a lack of depth, cutscenes full of soap opera, first 25-30 hours being a line, linear and boring as hell character progression which also limits you to go further if oyu haven't reached a milestone, constant grind, no worthwhile minigames and no towns to ease the pain of the constant grind, you only control 1 character in battle and even so it is mostly automated, lack of a badass villian...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Trance Radiance Infinity

edited September 2011
    Kaiser said:
    you only control 1 character in battle and even so it is mostly automated
    Yes, the point being the battle system is about controlling the flow of battle and not individual actions
    edited September 2011
    I gotta break this down in every way I can, just for the sake of loving to do this.
    Kaiser said:
    how about characters with a lack of depth
    After watching the cutscenes of the entire game (yes, I watched every playthrough video I could, sue me), the main characters had quite a bit of character development (although Snow makes me facepalm with his generic hero-line spewing).
    Kaiser said:
    cutscenes full of soap opera
    Where have you been the last 12+ Final Fantasy games? The entire series is full of this, so why should this even be a point as to why it's bad?
    Kaiser said:
    first 25-30 hours being a line
    This I won't debate...much. I agree that having a straight line from Point A to Point B can be bad, it can also be done in a good way, like in Grandia.
    Kaiser said:
    linear and boring as hell character progression which also limits you to go further if oyu haven't reached a milestone
    Which makes it so you plan your battles accordingly, making this game a little more strategic in battle (like how most good boss fights in the series have been).
    Kaiser said:
    constant grind
    Now you're just complaining about JRPGs in general.
    Kaiser said:
    no worthwhile minigames and no towns to ease the pain of the constant grind
    You're saying the fact that all of Cocoon wants you dead isn't a good enough reason for not being able to visit a town?
    Kaiser said:
    you only control 1 character in battle and even so it is mostly automated
    Again, for mostly strategic gameplay (though I agree the death of that one character and the inability to change the character in battle is a pain in the ***).
    Kaiser said:
    lack of a badass villian...
    So, when did it become mandatory for a villain in the FF series to be badass? You should really warn Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus, Ultimecia, and Kuja that they need to be more badass.
    User Database Check
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    My advice stands. If you didn't like FF13, you won't like this. If you liked FF13, you'll probably like this.

Thoughts on videogame time travel anyone? Maybe they have to stop whatever destroyed the world in the past. To do that they get information about what went wrong in the future and return to the past to set it right.
    edited September 2011
    flamethrower said:
    My advice stands. If you didn't like FF13, you won't like this. If you liked FF13, you'll probably like this.

Thoughts on videogame time travel anyone? Maybe they have to stop whatever destroyed the world in the past. To do they get information about what went wrong in the future and return to the past to set it right.
    That's probably what is going to happen. And there will be multiple endings ala Chrono Trigger, complete with several joke endings.
    User Database Check
    edited September 2011
    After watching the cutscenes of the entire game (yes, I watched every playthrough video I could, sue me), the main characters had quite a bit of character development (although Snow makes me facepalm with his generic hero-line spewing).
    cute, so you have watched playthrough videos. it's not even clear if you have played the game yourself from your statements, but adorable nontheless.

Where have you been the last 12+ Final Fantasy games? The entire series is full of this, so why should this even be a point as to why it's bad?

it wasn't that bad with the previous installments ( except for FF X with it's "Disney Hooray every 5 mins")

Which makes it so you plan your battles accordingly, making this game a little more strategic in battle (like how most good boss fights in the series have been).

So having no choices in progression makes it more strategic, oh okay.

You're saying the fact that all of Cocoon wants you dead isn't a good enough reason for not being able to visit a town?

that's why they are never in some lobbys full of people, oh wait.

Again, for mostly strategic gameplay (though I agree the death of that one character and the inability to change the character in battle is a pain in the ***).

so the other 2 characters being automated and the deciding factor in many battles being how severe the "role-change-lag" came into play = strategic gameplay? i lol'd

So, when did it become mandatory for a villain in the FF series to be badass? You should really warn Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus, Ultimecia, and Kuja that they need to be more badass.

ok how about non boring instead? oh wait, i bet youre telling me now that he gave you goosebumbs every time, whatever.

if the green hurts your eyes, deal with it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Trance Radiance Infinity

• QuinQuin これはメタです RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    Methinks I should stick a modified version of our Vesperia PS3 rule on these threads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited September 2011
    Kaiser said:
    cute, so you have watched playthrough videos. it's not even clear if you have played the game yourself from your statements, but adorable nontheless.
    I've played through the whole thing and everything he says is accurate

Kaiser said:

it wasn't that bad with the previous installments ( except for FF X with it's "Disney Hooray every 5 mins")
    No, it just wasn't voice acted until the past few installments, so it wasn't as clear this was the case.

Kaiser said:

So having no choices in progression makes it more strategic, oh okay.
    Yes removing the option to over-level will do that
    Kaiser said:
    that's why they are never in some lobbys full of people, oh wait.
    Whatever, how about the giant portion of the game where you're in a harsh world where there are no other people?

Kaiser said:

so the other 2 characters being automated and the deciding factor in many battles being how severe the "role-change-lag" came into play = strategic gameplay? i lol'd
    Yes strategy certainly never involves timing...
    Kaiser said:
    ok how about non boring instead? oh wait, i bet youre telling me now that he gave you goosebumbs every time, whatever.
    You kind of side swiped his point entirely. There have been great FF games with bad villains. FFIX comes to mind.
    Kaiser said:
    if the green hurts your eyes, deal with it
    Na that's alright, I took care of it.