If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy X Getting an HD Remake

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
There have been a lot of rumors and speculation leading up to the Tokyo Game Show, but no one saw this one coming. The time has come to once again walk down the road to Zanarkand.

[Link]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Thread Opening Post by AncientRune

http://kotaku.com/5840027/final-fantasy-x-is-coming-to-playstation-vita-and-ps3-in-hd

I can hear them crying now

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Far easier to port and update teh PS2 then it is to completely redo FFVII, just saying.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    I'd prefer the opportunity to give XII another chance, but I imagine that'd likely happen later so I'm happy enough with this. I didn't get into RPGs early enough to really care about VII myself.

Do hope they tweak the blitzball a bit though so it's actually fun to play.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    IMO FFX is showing its age more than FFVII - so I'm well happy with this!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2011
    It'll probably just be an enhanced port or whatever.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I thought Valve were some of the biggest trolls out there. Well played Square-Enix. Well played.
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    It'll probably just be an enhanced port or whatever.
    That's my thinking too. Probably nothing more than a quick resolution bump like they're doing with Sly, MGS, GoW, etc.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Still, this did make me giggle a bit... SE: "We'll remake/enhance rerelease any Final Fantasy game. Unless it came out on the PS1."
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    SE makes me happy. What better game is there for a portable system than Final Fantasy X?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Meh, the game looked okay for PS2 but the textures are pretty bland. Methinks HD is only going to accentuate the flaws.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    sorry but the FFXI fanboy in me is more irate because I really want a ps3 edition of that MMO!

Why bother with that boring road trip anyway?
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Cidolfas said:
    Meh, the game looked okay for PS2 but the textures are pretty bland. Methinks HD is only going to accentuate the flaws.
    I don't think it'd be hard to redo the textures. It'd be difficult to redo the 3D models; I don't think they will go that far.
    edited September 2011
    Cidolfas said:
    After playing it on PCSX2 I can say that some parts of it look absolutely amazing in HD, while other parts of it look really rough. Moreover, the game uses a lot of 2D elements which look awful, such as inside the Besaid huts, and the Kilika horizon. FFXII is a much better candidate for a straight-up HD port (though I'm still happy that SE decided upon FFX, since I like the game much more).

If it turns out to be a straight-up HD port rather than the 'remake' that SE have advertised it as - then it should still look fairly stunning on the small screen of the Vita.
    edited September 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    After playing it on PCSX2 I can say that some parts of it look absolutely amazing in HD, while other parts of it look really rough. Moreover, the game uses a lot of 2D elements which look awful, such as inside the Besaid huts, and the Kilika horizon. FFXII is a much better candidate for a straight-up HD port (though I'm still happy that SE decided upon FFX, since I like the game much more).
    Re-texturing a game with higher resolutions makes it look a lot snappier. OoT 3D looks really good on the 3DS and I don't think they did much to improve the polygon count for that game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've got XII HD in the works as well. There was also some talk of Kingdom Hearts getting the HD treatment in time for the 10th anniversary of the first game.
    If it turns out to be a straight-up HD port rather than the 'remake' that SE have advertised it as - then it should still look fairly stunning on the small screen of the Vita.
    Weren't they classifying the Chrono Trigger DS version as a "remake"?
    edited September 2011
    -Yeah, I tend to be a little dubious about any of SE's grand promises.

-A FFXII HD port will turn out great; I've been playing that game @1080p on PCSX2, and it requires absolutely no additional work (with the exception of CG cutscenes) - it looks better than FFXIII!
    edited September 2011
    Shadowcat said:
    sorry but the FFXI fanboy in me is more irate because I really want a ps3 edition of that MMO!

Why bother with that boring road trip anyway?
    Sadly, the ship has probably set sail. I don't think they will be closing down FFXI in the near, near future, but, once FFXIV is finally fixed and drawing in a crowd, FFXI's retirement will be close at hand. I just hope someday down the road they re-visist FFXI in some form (free-to-play retro MMO, a remade offline package, or something) to provide the next generation to experience it (i.e. ten years or so from now).
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    AncientRune said:
    God damn it, Square Enix, now we're gonna have another decade of FFVII fanboys screaming for a remake...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    On the bright side, maybe they'll use the International version as the base.

I'd really only want a FFXII remake if they fleshed out the second half of the game. The game certainly could use the graphical update, but man. I'd be sad if they just tweaked some graphics and left. At least X stands well as-is.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I just hope someday down the road they re-visist FFXI in some form (free-to-play retro MMO, a remade offline package, or something)
    Has an MMORPG ever been converted into a single-player RPG after it's online run?
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    -A FFXII HD port will turn out great; I've been playing that game @1080p on PCSX2, and it requires absolutely no additional work (with the exception of CG cutscenes) - it looks better than FFXIII!
    Having done the same thing (PCSX2 @1080p) to finish my recent FFXII run, I can't really agree with that. XII would require quite a bit of work to see a proper PS3 quality port.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, the emulation is a definite improvement to FFXII's original level of quality, but as a baseline, I'd suggest they would probably want to review the main character models (Hero and villains alike) and review some of the dungeons and outdoor areas. "Quite a bit" is probably an overstatement, but going over maps with touching-up in mind probably takes time more than anything else.

And while they're at it, maybe they can remake the dungeons in the last third of the game to be less bang-head-on-wall annoying.
    TG Barighm said:
    Has an MMORPG ever been converted into a single-player RPG after it's online run?
    Aren't they currently doing this with Ragnarok Online on the PSP?

Also, FFVII fans are always irate, a remake will just make them even more irate because they'll spend an entire decade arguing over what should be fixed (The localization errors) and what should be left alone in the name of nostalgia (The Death Penalty glitch, should it be left in for old times sake?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Far easier to port and update teh PS2 then it is to completely redo FFVII, just saying.
    Exactly

Besides, people seem to forget that FFX was extremely popular as well.
    edited September 2011
    TG Barighm said:
    How many MMORPGs have been main series Final Fantasy games?

FFXI may be different from twelve of its thirteen brothers due to its online aspect, but SE seems hellbent on making sure each new generation has some way to get their hands on a main series FF with relative ease.
  • ElementolElementol Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Happy about this since I loved the game and would love to play it again in HD.

As far as XII, I hope they bring this over at some point and that they bring the International version with the job system. While emulating the zodiac job system on the regular US version was okay, i'd definitely rather play with the job license boards as they should be instead.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister
    edited September 2011
    @Quin: It looks like a PS360 game to me - only better, because it's full HD with proper antializing.
    edited September 2011
    That's the thing, it doesn't to me. It still looks like a PS2 game with some minor graphical improvements. FFXII shows the sorts of things you could push the PS2 hardware to do, but running it at 1920x1080 through an emulator still makes the age show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited September 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    On the bright side, maybe they'll use the International version as the base.
    This would make a purchase a lot more attractive on this side of the Pacific.
    Quin said:
    Aren't they currently doing this with Ragnarok Online on the PSP?
    I thought RO was still going?

EDIT: I really need to look into getting a PSX/PS2 emulator running on my computer. It would make my fears of what to do when my PS2 dies mostly go away.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I would definitely play FFX again. My only concern is that when they upscale the polygons, it could become horribly blurry like the God of War HD upscaling. Other than that, I am so ready to play a real Final Fantasy on my PS3 after that disaster that was Final Fantasy XIII. Such a pretty mess!
    edited September 2011
    @Quin: We must be playing different games. FFX looks like a sharper PS2 game, but FFXII looks stunning.
    edited September 2011
    I'm not disputing FFXII's prettyness, I just find FFXIII graphically superior.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited September 2011
    Actually with FFXI, that may go on the Vita too. There's a huge demand for a PS3 version of FFXI amongst the JP community. (There was a HUGE BEG THREAD about it on the JP part of the official forums.) Square may be using the Vita to sneak it on the PS3, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this game for practice first, since that was the game BEFORE FFXI.

Source: BlueGatr thread (of course unconfirmed but I don't think it'd be hard to confirm!)

[Edit] Also if you have NOT been on FFXI lately; there are also rumblings in the wind that may point to a eventual possible Vita port. There's been a official survey (Pop up once, and then it's over after you answer) about which systems people are using, and also some teeny-tiny UI updates for Xbox and PC ONLY, not the PS2; they hq'ed the icons by people's names and the font that is used for player chara names during the last two updates. (I can get before and after shots if people are curious.)
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited September 2011
    Quin said:
    I'm not disputing FFXII's prettyness, I just find FFXIII graphically superior.
    FFXIII is superior on the texture front, but FFXII with full HD + AA looks way cleaner, more intricate, and just plain prettier.
    edited September 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    FFXIII is superior on the texture front, but FFXII with full HD + AA looks way cleaner, more intricate, and just plain prettier.
    I'd be surprised if the console version of FFXIII is using any sort of anti-aliasing. I thought most of the consoles don't do much AA since that's extra processing you probably won't appreciate unless you're sitting about 6 inches from the screen (as you do in PC games). You're also comparing a game which came out at the tail end of the PS2's life cycle with one that arrived mid-life (and was largely expected to arrive earlier than it did). 16-bit analogue would be comparing FFVI and Star Ocean.