If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ni No Kuni is Coming to North America

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
The title says it all. Fans of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli can now rejoice. One of the most charming RPGs ever announced is making its way here.

[Link]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Thread Opening Post by Zbornak:

Gamespot has news that not only will Ninokuni for PS3 be released in North America, it's coming out in a matter of months - early 2012 :) :) Also, there's a video from TGS here that shows off the absolutely beautiful world map.

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Brilliant news!!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

One of the reasons I got my PS3. AWRIGHT!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I think it's time for me to finally get a PS3
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    FINALLY! Now I can feel better about not hearing news about the game.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    Excellent news! Already a bunch of interesting RPGs coming out in early 2012
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Oh hell yea! My PS3 has been getting a lot of love lately.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • H.AkeleyH.Akeley Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "...blah blah Level-5 and Studio Ghibli RPG...blah blah...English version of the game is in production...blah blah blah....combat is settled in turn-based format"

:02.47-tranquillity::untroubled::tears_of_joy:

Not often I use the phrase "too good to be true" these days, but this is the right moment.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    ::happy dance::
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    Even if we never get the DS version, this is fantastic news.

It looks like 2012 might mark a resurgence of the JRPG on consoles. Cross your fingers.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    And the screech of happy fans could be heard throughout the land.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2011
    omegabyte said:
    It looks like 2012 might mark a resurgence of the JRPG on consoles. Cross your fingers.
    A shame it's coming near the end of the current generation, but great news. Nice crop of games coming out next year. Looks like it's time to finally look into a PS3.

EDIT: I suspect the main holdup on the DS version was the book that accompanies the game. I can see GameStop refusing to stock that due to shelf size considerations, and the fact that it makes pre-owned sales a royal pain. Not to mention additional localization work and production costs.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Sir ErdrickSir Erdrick Overlord Full Members
    edited September 2011
    And the fandom rejoiced!
  • zockroachzockroach Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    YES YES YES YES!!!! YES YES!! YES! yes!

*watching Howl's Moving Castle in celebration*

This has big, system moving potential.
    FULL TIME AWESOME LIFE!
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2011
    This announcement makes me very happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "...blah blah Level-5 and Studio Ghibli RPG...blah blah...English version of the game is in production...blah blah blah....combat is settled in turn-based format"
    I read it exactly the same way. I don't know anything else about the game, but that's all I needed to see, heh.
  • moenkimoenki New Member New Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    This is the one piece of news I've been waiting for above all else. Finally proof that Japan loves us, and wants us to be happy. Also, the final confirmation that I will be getting a PS3 by the end of this year.
  • bigmark268bigmark268 New Member New Members
    edited September 2011
    Super excited aobut this. I also really hope it does so well that it usheres in a period where more game developers go OMG people still want turn based combat with good story? Its been 10yrs sicne weve done that lets try it!

Well a man dream cant he?
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I love Level 5 and JRPG's, and them teaming up with Studio Ghibli is fricking fantabulous, can't wait for this to release here.
    Still holding out for the DS version as well, but as long as we get the beautiful PS3 version I can't complain.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I hope it goes exactly the way Bigmark puts it.

OK, so I know I seem pretty picky, but I gotta ask. Is the PS3 version going to have the magic book too? It should. A real book to accompany your game like that is just genius.
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited September 2011
    omegabyte said:
    Even if we never get the DS version, this is fantastic news.

I feel a game such as this deserves HD and a great sound system... (and therefore should have never been considered for the handheld market)
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    zockroach said:
    YES YES YES YES!!!! YES YES!! YES! yes!

*watching Howl's Moving Castle in celebration*

This has big, system moving potential.
    I think you're overestimating the selling power of niche JRPGs, but still, great news for RPGamers at least.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited September 2011
    And there was much rejoicing!
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • bigmark268bigmark268 New Member New Members
    edited September 2011
    Ty Zoltan, we could only hope =X

As far the magic book goes, omg would i love to have a leatherbound spell compendium to lay out on ym coffee table. Or a nice piece to display in one of my cabinet along side my leatherbound warhammer fantasy rulebook and my old leatherbound everquest tabletop rpg player guide.

Im so curious of a collectors edtion of this too.
  • caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Interesting. This might get me to buy a PS3 sometime in the near future.

I found a relevant article on Siliconera that talks about Ni no Kuni for PS3. It states, "Ni no Kuni: Queen of the Holy White Ash’s story will start out the same as the Nintendo DS version’s, but will be told differently after the halfway point. [Level 5 president, Akihiro] Hino says Queen of the Holy White Ash’s story will continue after the DS version’s, and that the game will also have post-release downloadable content." (from http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/16/ni-no-kuni-queen-of-the-holy-white-ash-will-journey-out-of-japan-in-early-2012 )
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    From what I've seen, there are a few significant additions to the beginning as well.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2011
    This does not make me sad. :tears_of_joy:
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Hah hah... this gets ocalized but Xenoblade does not? Hilarious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited September 2011
    All good news. I just need to hear that the spell book will be there!
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Hah hah... this gets ocalized but Xenoblade does not? Hilarious.
    2 different consoles, and Level 5 actually wants to release their games overseas, thus the offices they have here.
    NoA just doesn't give a **** apparently.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Another RPG for me to play! Ok I better write another resume cuz I need to work fast.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.