If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Wild Suikoden Unexpectedly Appears

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
Fans hoping for a continuation of the first five Suikoden titles will be disappointed, as this one looks to be more like Tierkries. Perhaps they'll keep the story more coherent this time and stick to one world.

[Story]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread Opening Post by SiliconNooB:

This stands to make a lot of people happy, save for the ingrates who will inevitably bleat 'WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE IT FOR TEH PS3?!!!!
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Just saw the trailer for that here.

I was at least hoping for.. the vita maybe? This is for the old PSP. The DS entry wasn't a real Suikoden so much. Also... no gameplay or indication of that sort. It could be a card battling dating-sim for all we know.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I would wager that the PSN version of the game will be entirely compatible with Vita.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    I hope dearly that this will have some True Runes in it, if only to satiate my need to see them all.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited September 2011
    But Konami didn't say the won't make another?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Not to mention they claim to no longer have experienced RPG developers on staff. Does this mean it will be developed by another studio?
    edited September 2011
    Or maybe they took a few lessons from Hideo Kojima and learned how to mislead us really well.
    User Database Check
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    OMFG this is awsome!!!!! im sure i predicted a new suikoden game on another thread, although it might have been for last year
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Count me in as part of the ingrate crowd. Suikoden is a series that deserves to be on a home console, with a good budget, not lumped into the rest of the dregs of jrp gamedom dumped off on hand helds.

So color me meh.
    sup?
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Nice to see this franchise come back, even if it is a handheld title, but we all suspected that would happen.
    edited September 2011
    Maudren said:
    Count me in as part of the ingrate crowd. Suikoden is a series that deserves to be on a home console, with a good budget, not lumped into the rest of the dregs of jrp gamedom dumped off on hand helds.

So color me meh.
    There is no place for it on the PS3!
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I just popped a chicken!

HELLZ YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited September 2011
    Jormungand said:
    Not to mention they claim to no longer have experienced RPG developers on staff. Does this mean it will be developed by another studio?
    Well, this is why I was thinking that it's possible it's not an RPG. It's not a numbered title. It could be a non-RPG action-based in-universe spin-off. It could be a rhythm game, I dunno..
    edited September 2011
    Jormungand said:
    They claimed that in relation to the RPG they are making in cooperation with Tri-Ace, so maybe that was their test before being able to work on the Suikoden series - or maybe not. Either way they can hire other developers to compensate for their brain-drain.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Doubt this will get localized. That's why I'm not getting excited.
    edited September 2011
    Nim said:
    Doubt this will get localized. That's why I'm not getting excited.
    This is a fair point. The PSP is practically dead as a system here in the states (more so than the other extant systems anyway). This was JUST announced. By the time this is released in Japan... yeah... not much of a chance of it coming over.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Maudren said:

So color me meh.
    You haven't been playing any of the "dregs", have you? There's some incredible games on handhelds that get ignored because of gaming snobs that turn up their noses at anything not in glorious console HD.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited September 2011
    Jitawa said:
    This is a fair point. The PSP is practically dead as a system here in the states (more so than the other extant systems anyway). This was JUST announced. By the time this is released in Japan... yeah... not much of a chance of it coming over.
    Actually, there's a slightly good chance if it hits the PSN as a download for the PSP and Vita.
    User Database Check
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Actually, there's a slightly good chance if it hits the PSN as a download for the PSP and Vita.
    I don't think the format is an issue, but the fact that it will be a text heavy JRPG on a handheld that is pretty much gone. Localizing it seems a little unlikely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:
    You haven't been playing any of the "dregs", have you? There's some incredible games on handhelds that get ignored because of gaming snobs that turn up their noses at anything not in glorious console HD.

i quite enjoy zenonia, inotia 3, and third blade on my android phone, actually. And people arent snobs just because they dont prefer a particular game medium.
    sup?
    edited September 2011
    Maudren said:
    i quite enjoy zenonia, inotia 3, and third blade on my android phone, actually. And people arent snobs just because they dont prefer a particular game medium.
    When you say that things are better off coming out for the PS3 or 360 or not at all, you are. I know that's not what you said, but it's what I've seen a large amount of people who don't like handhelds saying. So yeah, a majority of them ARE snobs. I personally don't see the point in cursing it being on a handheld, especially when it's more easily accessible to play.
    User Database Check
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    When you say that things are better off coming out for the PS3 or 360 or not at all, you are. I know that's not what you said, but it's what I've seen a large amount of people who don't like handhelds saying. So yeah, a majority of them ARE snobs. I personally don't see the point in cursing it being on a handheld, especially when it's more easily accessible to play.
    Preferences don't make people snobs. Playing portables is a different experience from playing home consoles. Regardless of whether you're a "graphics' whore", how comfortable you are playing on a handheld at length eyes fixed down at a small screen isn't a matter of snobbery - it's often a matter of comfort. I would hope you're not saying "having a set of controls that fits comfortably in your hands is snobbish".

Games are something we do for entertainment; there's nothing wrong with preferring a certain mode of play. Plus, possibly dated visuals aside, there's undeniable difference in scope/nature of many portable games compared to their console cousins as well(with few exceptions).
    edited September 2011
    Jitawa said:
    Preferences don't make people snobs. Playing portables is a different experience from playing home consoles. Regardless of whether you're a "graphics' whore", how comfortable you are playing on a handheld at length eyes fixed down at a small screen isn't a matter of snobbery - it's often a matter of comfort. I would hope you're not saying "having a set of controls that fits comfortably in your hands is snobbish".
    Let me pull out a little more details about the people I'm talking about. Those people who think things are better off coming out for the PS3/360 or not at all ALSO want the handheld market to perish, and have constantly said that PSP and DS should never have existed to begin with, nor should any handheld platform that existed to date. In other words, TRUE SNOBS.
    User Database Check
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Let me pull out a little more details about the people I'm talking about. Those people who think things are better off coming out for the PS3/360 or not at all ALSO want the handheld market to perish, and have constantly said that PSP and DS should never have existed to begin with, nor should any handheld platform that existed to date. In other words, TRUE SNOBS.

But why are you even talking about these people? Why bring them up? I know my op in the thread lit a little something under rebo's bum but im pretty sure I never implied that handhelds shouldnt exist or be played. I have a psp slim, ds, and i play on my evo 4g, but that doesnt mean i want to see a once great series relegated to the hand held. Suikoden deserves better.

I dunno. Thats my take. I dont have a vendetta against hand helds personally, but theyre certainly my last choice for gaming options.

Anyhoo, it wasnt my intent to upset anyone, i was a little harsh when i refered to hand held jrpgs as the "dregs".
    sup?
    edited September 2011
    I brought them up because you brought them up. But I'll leave that subject there and talk what's really important in this thread...Suikoden.

What do you think the primary 'base' will be in this game? In Suikoden 1 it was a cave, Suikoden 2 it was an old castle (I believe, it has been a while). Suikoden 3 it was a neutral territory with a castle town and a crashed ship. In Suikoden 4 it was that ship that crashed into the castle 100 years before that happened (I believe, since the ship looks terrifyingly similar). In Suikoden 5...I have no clue, since I have not found that game at any store yet.
    User Database Check
  • H.AkeleyH.Akeley Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I`m rather grateful that these games keep coming out at all and that they found cool little refuge in DS/PSP. Hell yeah, I`d rather see Valkyrie Chronicles and many others in full HD glory etc, but given current Everybody Hates Jrpgs (or so I am told by western press on the daily) climate I`m not complaining. Also it is way cheaper to develop for handhelds and many games would never happen otherwise if faced with 3DHD-or-die dilemma.

Also, I love 2D and will do so forever, so no big truck with Suikoden. PSP`s screen still kicks butt and what inferior controls are we talking about? It`s not exactly Modern Warfare.
    This series has a cult following so even if there`s no official translation i`m sure die-hard fans will cook something up.
    edited September 2011
    The series has a following because of the interlinking stories between the home console versions. I dont want another throw away suikoden game like the ds game, which as i understand has nothing to do with the playstation games.

Im a tiny bit hopefull for this new one since its on a sony platform. I just want a freaking continuation from where s3 left off.
    sup?
  • H.AkeleyH.Akeley Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    "Throw away" ? What, because it doesn`t follow the storyline? That`s a good one. I wonder why all these FF games have following then...

Seriously though, Tierkreis is a beautiful, well received & reviewed piece of software. Ok, i understand the frustration if you were following the series from the beginning - but spin-offs are nothing new in world of jRpgs and this one was pretty solid and sold well - and in doing so perhaps paved the way for the new one, which might be the droid you`re looking for.
    edited September 2011
    H.Akeley said:
    "Throw away" ? What, because it doesn`t follow the storyline? That`s a good one. I wonder why all these FF games have following then...

Seriously though, Tierkreis is a beautiful, well received & reviewed piece of software. Ok, i understand the frustration if you were following the series from the beginning - but spin-offs are nothing new in world of jRpgs and this one was pretty solid and sold well - and in doing so perhaps paved the way for the new one, which might be the droid you`re looking for.
    It's not necessarily that the DS entry was "bad", but it was a fair deal different from the console iterations. The console entries have had longer, more epic stories, and they also presented a continuity.

Suikoden fans (of which I include myself) just want to see the story continued. We want to see more of the world. We want to learn about more True Runes. Ideally, this would be on a major console to take advantage of advances in technology since Suikoden V (5 years ago now). However, seeing as this PSP release already seems to have a subtitle, I believe that means it is NOT one of the numbered Suikodens. They haven't shown any gameplay footage, it may not even be a RPG.
    edited September 2011
    Awww...but I'll get it anyway, it's Suikoden!
    User Database Check
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I liked parts of Tierkries, and although it's sad, I understand why they've had to move away from the original world. All I'd really like from later Suikodens is a stronger main character, a focus on politics and fate/destiny/true runes in the story rather than on multiple worlds/infinities, and the return of strategy battles and duels. It's certainly possible to set your story in the "infinity" without having it be about multiple worlds... especially since that part of Tierkries felt tacked-on and unnecessary.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance