If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI Arrive on PSN

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
It seems strange that it took so long for this to happen, but two of the SNES's best have arrived on Sony's online service. Who knows where they will show up next.

[Link]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread Opening Post by DarkRPGMaster:

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger hit the PSN this week.

Might as well do this now just so the staff can make a news update on it. XD

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited September 2011
    news@rpgamer.com

And I'll ask the obligatory question: How bad will the load times be?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    You know, I didn't think the loading was that bad for FF6. Never really played much CT on the PSX on account for it not being that great when I played it on SNES...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited September 2011
    Shaymin said:
    news@rpgamer.com

And I'll ask the obligatory question: How bad will the load times be?
    If I remember correctly, the load times for FF6 weren't that bad at all. Chrono Trigger, I can't remember. Also, I completely forgot that I could do that. I'll need to start doing that from now on.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    There was like a 1 second pause every time you went into battle in CT I remember.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    The load times shouldn't be too bad, considering this time they won't be reading ROM data on the fly from a disk. Assuming they're not emulating the disk, which in turn was emulating the ROM.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Jungyin said:
    The load times shouldn't be too bad, considering this time they won't be reading ROM data on the fly from a disk. Assuming they're not emulating the disk, which in turn was emulating the ROM.
    If it's a PSOne Classic, than that's exactly what's happening. Recursive Emulation!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    MasterChief said:
    Recursive Emulation!
    Yo dawg, we heard you like emulation, etc etc...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I forget when it launched but I saw Breath of Fire IV on there as a PS1 classic as well(I think it was a few weeks ago)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2011
    FFVI PSX wasn't terrible for load times. CT PSX was pretty bad. You're probably better off getting CT on the Wii Virtual Console or the DS version. Assuming you have access to either a DS or a Wii.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    shoptroll said:
    FFVI PSX wasn't terrible for load times. CT PSX was pretty bad. You're probably better off getting CT on the Wii Virtual Console or the DS version. Assuming you have access to either a DS or a Wii.
    FFVI's load times weren't awful, but there's a noticeable delay opening the menu, making normally quick actions like healing your party feel quite slow.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Wheels said:
    FFVI's load times weren't awful, but there's a noticeable delay opening the menu, making normally quick actions like healing your party feel quite slow.
    That was basically an issue with all the FF games Square had Tose remaster for the PSX. The GBA versions were a lot better :)
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2011
    FFVI also had a noticeable delay on the playing of sound effects in battles. Plus the sound emulation in general was surprisingly bad.

But if you've got no other way to play the game legally, it's not that bad. You could do worse. I personally felt of the various ports, the GBA was heads and shoulders better, but it's out of print. And of course, the GBA had its own sound emulation oddities. I really want an updated re-release on a current platform with the GBA script and a properly remastered soundtrack.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:
    FFVI also had a noticeable delay on the playing of sound effects in battles. Plus the sound emulation in general was surprisingly bad.

But if you've got no other way to play the game legally, it's not that bad. You could do worse. I personally felt of the various ports, the GBA was heads and shoulders better, but it's out of print. And of course, the GBA had its own sound emulation oddities. I really want an updated re-release on a current platform with the GBA script and a properly remastered soundtrack.
    I heard SE plans to do that after they remake FF5 for 3DS (whenever that is).
    User Database Check
    edited September 2011
    They will show up in anime form. What? A gamer can dream~
    User Database Check
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited September 2011
    An enhanced psp port of FF VI along the lines of I, II, and IV a gamer can dream.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    I'd still like an official telling of the period in between Trigger and Cross. I do not accept the "everybody dies" angle. Also, a remake of Cross without 95% of the characters would be greatly appreciated :P
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2011
    An apology for Cross would be sufficient for me.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • dshwshr55dshwshr55 New Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:
    I don't know if any sequel (or prequel) could do the game justice. Or even having it on another platform, for that matter.
    edited September 2011
    Rebochan said:
    For saying it was a direct sequel to Trigger, yes. For giving us all it had if the references to the previous game had not been made, I THINK NOT. As a standalone game, it was impressive. For a sequel however, it was horrid.
    User Database Check
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I just wish that FFVI is remade like the ones in the PSP and that SE port the PSP ones on the PS3.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    shoptroll said:
    That was basically an issue with all the FF games Square had Tose remaster for the PSX. The GBA versions were a lot better :)
    It really seems like Tose didn't even remaster the game at all, the delays are a result of game still treating ROM like it was on a cart, so things are read from the ROM/disc at the time they're needed instead being preloaded into the PSX's RAM. IIRC, one could even take the ROM file from the disc and play it in an emulator.
  • Hero Killer IdHero Killer Id Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    My question is this. Whenever I want to play VI I always just fired up my SNES. But if I want a good portable version to play which is a better experience playing the psone classic version on my psp or playing the GBA version?
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    We'll be updating the story shortly, but Sony has retracted this announcement.
    edited September 2011
    Son. I am disappoint.
    User Database Check
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Quin said:
    Yo dawg, we heard you like emulation, etc etc...

Haha so we put this game on psn so it can emulate while it emulates!

good one man. :excitement:
    sup?
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Ew, retracted. That'll cause some nerd-rage to head their way.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2011
    The games are coming, just not on the day Sony's blog said they were. Worry not people, just be patient.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    For saying it was a direct sequel to Trigger, yes. For giving us all it had if the references to the previous game had not been made, I THINK NOT. As a standalone game, it was impressive. For a sequel however, it was horrid.
    Yes, it was pretty, but I have to agree that other than the brief sort-of tie-ins to CT, Cross was NOTHING like CT and would've been better left for another series on it's own. PLEASE let us have a REAL follow-up that stars the ORIGINAL cast PLEASE! There's got to be plenty of fan-fiction out there to come up with something tangible to work with. Come on... PLEASE make up for Chrono Cross.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I think that it's better to let the series RIP than to see what modern day SE would do with it ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • CyberSkullCyberSkull Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    The problem with the loading for the PS1 ports of the FF games is that they didn't use any kind of load manager. On the SNES, the game ROM chips and system bus are so fast that you only need to load when you need the resource. They didn't change that for the PS1 version, so you end up with these horrible pauses in the game when it has to load a single sound.

But getting to the main reason I came here, I've already got FFVI for GBA and CT for DS, so I am fine.
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…