If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Witcher 2 Prepares for 2.0

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited October 2011 in Latest Updates
Whether you are a new player who doesn't know how to play the game or a veteran who needs a greater challenge, CD Projekt RED has big things in store for you in this major update. Well, those extremes benefit more than most, but there are still updates for everyone.

[Link]

Comments

• Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Sounds good. Steam has 25% off on this ATM also. Might snag it.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I wish they had just focused on balancing the old difficulties instead of adding a whole new difficulty setting. Improving the targeting and control responsiveness will hopefully make a big difference, but what they really need to do is nerf Quen or change its functionality completely.
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I'm still a bit on the fence. Is it likely that there'll be a director's edition of this one like there was of #1? If so I think I'd rather get that or a GOTY edition hmmm...
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Glowing Hyren said:
    Is it likely that there'll be a director's edition of this one like there was of #1?
    I doubt it -- patch 2.0 is pretty huge, and it's probably as close to a "director's edition" as there's going to be. And even if they did make some kind of director's edition, I'm sure they would give it to everybody who's already bought the game for free. All of the DLC for the game is free, too, so no need to wait for a GOTY edition.

CDPR is one of the few PC developers that really works for their fans.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    I wish they had just focused on balancing the old difficulties instead of adding a whole new difficulty setting. Improving the targeting and control responsiveness will hopefully make a big difference, but what they really need to do is nerf Quen or change its functionality completely.
    Pretty sure I saw a Quen nerf on a list of changes somewhere, might have been in the last patch. Have you tried it lately?
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, it was in the last patch. Didn't notice any change at all.
    edited September 2011
    Ah, well. I guess they didn't want to change it too much, since so many people were relying on it so heavily.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited September 2011
    The 1.3 patch notes read:

'Quen Sign slightly de-buffed – Sign dissipates 20% faster after foes land a blow. Assorted minor balance issues related to this Sign have also been resolved.'

So it never changed a huge amount, I thought it was noticeable myself though. If I recall it's pretty easy to mod things to what you want.
    edited September 2011
    Then you just die all the time. There needs to be a middle ground between "invulnerable" and "kite everything to avoid getting gang raped".
  • H.AkeleyH.Akeley Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
    I grew up with the novels and really wanted to love The Witcher. But the ridiculous "combat" in the original killed it for me instantly. Is the same system used in sequel?
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited September 2011
    No, It's quite different.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Glowing Hyren said:
    I'm still a bit on the fence. Is it likely that there'll be a director's edition of this one like there was of #1? If so I think I'd rather get that or a GOTY edition hmmm...
    No reason to think that. CDP gave all the updates for Witcher 1 to everyone as they came out. There was no need to buy the game again, and I doubt there'll be now. They're pretty damned cool that way. Also, the "director's cut" of Witcher 1 of the game was more of a North American issue, to correct the censorship that Atari inserted into our edition of the game. Again, that was available as a free download for existing Witcher owners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2011
    The Doomhammer said:
    No, It's quite different.
    I would say it's quite worse. Dravaris summed up my opinion of the combat in The Witcher 2 already.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited September 2011
    The combat in TW2 is quite divisive. Some people love it, others hate it. Few are in the middle, except for me. I play on easy mode because I don't play Witcher games for the combat. :) I play them for the setting, characters, and choices.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Hey guys, witcher 1 directors edition is only 10 bucks on steam. Should i purchase?
    sup?
    edited September 2011
    Maudren said:
    Hey guys, witcher 1 directors edition is only 10 bucks on steam. Should i purchase?
    Do you like choice and consequence WRPGs? If so, yes.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Do you like choice and consequence WRPGs? If so, yes.

I do, and for 10 bucks i cant go wrong. I just need something to hold me over until skyrim. This should do.
    sup?
    edited September 2011
    It starts a bit slowly, but it really picks up once you get into the city. :)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    Then you just die all the time. There needs to be a middle ground between "invulnerable" and "kite everything to avoid getting gang raped".
    I'm replaying Witcher 2 now with the 2.0 update. The difficulty has been fixed. Playing on Normal I died twice in the intro part (one totally me being a goof, the other in a challenging encounter where I didn't play so hot) compared to dozens of times on my 1.0 playthrough. The challenge feels right so far. I'm far from invincible and haven't needed to kite for survival yet. I can't play sloppy, but I'm rarely in real danger when I'm paying attention. There's also a tutorial now and it feels like the main game has more gameplay tips, so that will help with the newb rape.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2011
    I played a bit of 2.0 on Dark Mode a few weeks ago. The controls definitely seem to be improved, but I didn't notice any real balance changes. Most notably, Quen is still a win button. I've been playing without it, and succeeding for the most part, but I haven't had to fight more than four enemies at a time so far so who knows how long that will last. It is a lot more fun when you actually have to make use of some of the other spells though.
    edited October 2011
    Dark Mode? I salute you.
    edited October 2011
    It's not nearly as challenging as the name would imply. Even without Quen, it's significantly easier than, say, Risen on normal. I die a lot, but in games with quicksave that's barely a minor annoyance.