If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dark Souls

omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited March 2012 in Staff Review Blogs
I'll be heading out to pick up Dark Souls in roughly 20 minutes, but I thought I'd get this started beforehand.

Rather than do a traditional review blog for this game, I'm going to try something rather different.

I am going to tweet, in gory detail (or at least as much gory detail as 120 characters will allow), every single time I die.

My hope is that not only will this give people an idea of how hard the game is, but provide plenty of hilarity as well. Follow me @robomegaman and watch for the tag #DarkSoulsDeath
Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    And here I was about to suggest you put up a death counter. Nice.

I was just about to head out and grab it myself.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    And here I was about to suggest you put up a death counter. Nice.

I was just about to head out and grab it myself.

That's funny, I was coming in to suggest the same thing
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited October 2011
    I just grabbed it. The jerks at the rental place tried to trick me again by saying they won't be renting it at all, but at least he sort of admitted he wanted it for himself.

Anywho, shall we die together?
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    Just got home with my copy. Going to poke through the CD stuff for a bit and I'll be popping the game in in about 10 - 15 minutes. Tweets to follow, in all likelihood, moments after
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    I see that the number and speed of deaths is accelerating. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited October 2011
    Ocelot wrote: »
    I see that the number and speed of deaths is accelerating. :)

Yeah I did some exploring. Now I'm farming some souls because I found a merchant and can upgrade a bit. Gonna get a few more soul levels, get some fresh equipment, and try that minotaur again after lunch.
    edited October 2011
    I've reached a crossroads in the game and I need suggestions on which path to take next. I have three options available to me:

One leads into a rather pretty, though I assume extremely deadly, forest.

Another takes an elevator way way way way down to a place called Firelink Shrine (or something close to that, I can't remember exactly)

And finally, one is a mystery path at the top of a church. There's a white fog wall that I haven't explored into, mainly because getting back up to it is a bit of a pain.

Unfortunately, my CE code isn't working so I can't really make an informed decision based on what items might be available, so I figured I'd ask for suggestions and take the more popular route.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Isn't Firelink shrine the starting area?

Edit: after you get out of the asylum I mean.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Yeah it is. I'm guessing the elevator starts off somewhere in Firelink Shrine which I haven't fully explored yet due to things kicking my butt. I just took the path of least resistance out of there to the Undead Burg. Where things are kicking my butt.

My vote's for the pretty forest.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited October 2011
    If it's the elevator before the
    dual gargoyle
    fight, then it's just a shortcut to the shrine (and vice-versa) so nothing too exciting there. I'm up to there now, mostly thanks to a couple of friendly phantoms.... got myself stupidly killed in the fight though, oh well.
    edited October 2011
    Not sure if it's correct, but I found this interconnection map that really helps give you an idea of where to go:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Places

I wonder if it's possible to kill the drake on the bridge without glitches or exploits. Only person I've found on the net who fought legit said the drake 1-shots you even if you're high enough level to withstand its fire and regular attacks. I managed to draw it out and whittle down its health a good deal with the Drake Sword, but then it flew away. Coward. I really wanted to down that beast.
    edited October 2011
    Ok, I took a different path and went to the Undead Burg first. Never visited the Firelink Shrine. Maybe I should do that. Might find some easy equipment I missed out on.

Update: Well isn't that just a kick in the teeth. Looks like I'm going to have to restart. I used an item I shouldn't have an now I'm screwed out of a fairly important upgrade. Arg!

I'm not going to tweet any deaths while I try to catch up to where I was. Damn, this really annoys me. Oh well, I think I'll try a different starting class in the meantime anyways.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Wait what, you can accidently use important rare/unique items? I hope there is a list somewhere!
    edited October 2011
    Definitely check the item's complete description in the menu before using it. I've discovered a few items with a "suggested usage" tip in the item's description. Helped a lot.

What item was it?
    edited October 2011
    Definitely check the item's complete description in the menu before using it. I've discovered a few items with a "suggested usage" tip in the item's description. Helped a lot.

What item was it?

It was the Firekeeper's Soul. The item's description says "Used to upgrade the Estus Flask." So I used it. Then I discovered a merchant that reinforces the Estus Flask. Using that soul. So I had wasted it because the item description was pretty unclear.

Anyways, I've caught up to where I was (and quite easily I might add). Death tweets will resume next time I pick up the game.
    edited October 2011
    There's at least two of those things in the game, probably more but the wiki hasn't got too much info beyond the opening areas.

Consuming it isn't optimal, but I don't think it's something really worth re-starting over.
    edited October 2011
    There's at least two of those things in the game, probably more but the wiki hasn't got too much info beyond the opening areas.

Consuming it isn't optimal, but I don't think it's something really worth re-starting over.

I dunno, it doesn't really take that long to catch up. First time going through all this, took me about ten hours. Second time through? I think I've clocked 3. It's a game of memorization, and once you know what to do, it's a breeze and a lot faster.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, the locked up lady says you need it to upgrade the Estus Flask. She's right below the starting hub, so it doesn't take long to reach her.

Btw, it's a good idea to not use the consumnable soul items until you actually need them at a bonfire or vendor or whatever.
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    I'm a level 15 sorcerer, now I didn't play Demon Souls so I'm a little new to the game, When I increase my stats as a sorcerer I'm going Intelligence/Vitality/Attunement, as I want to build a pure mage what do you guys think, should I look into stamina or strength too or I'll be fine with those three.

About the story I fought the second sub boss, and actually went back and killed the tough guy with the big sword and shield and got a cool ring :P, I died so many times until I figured a way to kill him easily, I climbed up and I just kept hitting him with my spell and he weirdly enough didn't climb up so it was easy!!
    Well I'm level 15 and I'm thinking that I over gird a little bit on that area but it does not really matter in this game anyway and as you guys stated it is really a game of memorization.
    edited October 2011
    The frame-rate in Blighttown is completely unacceptable, its a frickin' slideshow sometimes.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, the locked up lady says you need it to upgrade the Estus Flask. She's right below the starting hub, so it doesn't take long to reach her.

Btw, it's a good idea to not use the consumnable soul items until you actually need them at a bonfire or vendor or whatever.

I only used it because the description of the item says "Used to..." I thought USING it would make it do its thing. That's what the description suggested, anyways. If it had said "Use to gain X souls" like they all did in Demon's Souls, I would have saved it under the assumption that it'd be used for something later on.

The only ones I've been using otherwise are the ones that really are for nothing but gaining souls, the undead souls and nameless soldier souls, etc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'm going to have any real time to play this game again until late Sunday or early Monday morning. Damn Canadian Thanksgiving...
    edited October 2011
    I know that is what you said. My additonal comment was just a general bit of advice for those people who are too quick to use the soul items. I've read about some people losing the souls they gained from those items. It's best to not use the souls until you're actually at a bonfire or vendor; otherwise, chances are you'll die and be forced to reclaim them.

I've been wondering if we should put up a general tips and trick thread for Dark Souls. On the one hand, such a thread could help a lot of people, but on the other hand, figuring stuff out for yourself is the whole point of the game.
    The frame-rate in Blighttown is completely unacceptable

Yeah, it nosedives in places. I have to turn my camera away from the New Londo ruins when approaching it because the framerate is so bad there.
    edited October 2011
    Left Blightown to go grind for moss in the forest (the poison swamp in Demon's souls was annoying, the poison, 5 fps swamp in Dark Souls is even more annoying!) and also to try and get the 20000 souls you need to open the door that's in there, got to about 11000 when i left to go back to the Undead Asylum and trade Snuggly some stuff for twinkling titanite. Of course, once that's done my curiosity gets the best of me and i have a look around to see how the asylum has changed, cue me getting murdered by the new boss there and losing all my souls. *sigh* The real Dark Souls starts here, i suppose.

I was on such a good run, boss-wise, as well. I'd beat
    Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon and Moonlight Butterfly
    without dying! Lost a whole bunch of humanity as well.

Edit: another productive day,
    Quelaag, Blightown and the second bell down, went into the demon ruins and had Ceaseless Discharge (best boss name) kill himself hilariously, ran away from a whole bunch of Taurus and Capra demons (the Capra's respawn!) and decided to change direction. Headed to the newly opened Sen's fortress, made my way through there and found an awesome lightning spear. Got up to the boss, which was going well until he threw me into a bottomless pit...
    and I didn't die. Hello bug.
    edited October 2011
    Made a bit of progress today. Beat the Capra Demon on my second attempt. Gotta say, no boss fight in any game I've ever played has put me more on edge than that one. It's so fast and frenzied, and you're in such a confined space, it freaked me right the hell out. Also explored the Depths a fair bit, got killed by the Gaping Dragon though. My weapon just wasn't doing enough damage, I may need to enchant it next time I try fighting him.
    edited October 2011
    Whew, okay
    Ornstein and Smough
    can go **** themselves with their own over-sized weapons, but I beat em! They're dead, HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Seriously, I recommend going into that fight
    (the boss of Anor Londo (not new Londo))
    with a partner or two.

I mean, if you're a *****.

You should really fight em' by yourself. Do it. I did.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    I hit Anor Londo with my Soul Level 1 character today, and I'm so far surprised over how easy it's been thus far. When you know how to do proper builds and, admittedly, cheese your way to some strong items, the game can be easily exploited.

Still though, there are some upcoming areas that will pose some ridiculous challenge.

For those of you interested in speedrunning, the current record is 87 minutes. Can't find the link at work, though, but he made a video of it.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • XanaxeXanaxe New Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Not sure which system you guys are on, but I could help with the first few areas on Xbox. I've been looking for an excuse to pick up this game again.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Struggling with some low level griefers at the start? It sounds like you want someone to coop with more than advice since you mention what system you're on. I've been looking for an excuse to start a new character anyway so I might be able to help. Gamertag is HyphyKezzy if you want to friend me up. It might be a few days before I get the new guy made and I'm really only down to play until Xenoblade drops in a bit here but maybe we can get you past the first troublesome spots before that.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    If you're being griefed early on, there's an easier solution; go offline.

:P
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • XanaxeXanaxe New Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Thank you guys for the offers to help, I have already beaten the game though. My fault for not looking at how old the posts were before I offer to help xD. On that note, am I blind or is there no way to delete posts?