If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

An Interview with Final Fantasy XIV's Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited October 2011 in Latest Updates
If you bailed on Final Fantasy XIV long ago, Square Enix is rebooting it in an effort to win you back. We get more details about the job system, Chocobo party members, and the graphical overhaul here.

Interview Here
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2011
    I see, so THAT'S why they're pulling out the monthly fee again. If those jobs are done well, it might be enough to tempt me to actually P2P something for once.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    One of the big problems for me was that XIV was near unplayable on my computer, even with a good setup. Fixing that alone would go a long ways towards drawing people back. I still wish they'd dump the whole "PS2 limitations" thing and give FFXI a total overhaul, though....FFXI-2 doesn't sound -that- bad.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2011
    argh, why is "warrior" an advanced job? aren't there enough warrior archetypes in the game already? There's no "rogue/theif" class/jobs in the game? Isn't that a major no no for an MMO? Fighter, theif, mage, priest. Those archetypes are the cornerstones of...EVERY RPG IN EXISTENCE.

    I mean I guess there's the archer class, but people who play archers aren't going to want to job up in lancer, paladin, or warrior, they want something that fits their archetype, like ranger, theif, ninja, etc etc.

    Let's do this SE.
    sup?
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    Maudren said:
    argh, why is "warrior" an advanced job? aren't there enough warrior archetypes in the game already? There's no "rogue/theif" class/jobs in the game? Isn't that a major no no for an MMO? Fighter, theif, mage, priest. Those archetypes are the cornerstones of...EVERY RPG IN EXISTENCE.

    I mean I guess there's the archer class, but people who play archers aren't going to want to job up in lancer, paladin, or warrior, they want something that fits their archetype, like ranger, theif, ninja, etc etc.

    Let's do this SE.
    Thief, thief, thief, thief (I before E, except after C)! We'll just have to wait and see what they end up churning out. My impression is that the XIV team wants to make this relaunch much more successful than the first one, so they are sure to take their time making sure stuff is balanced and makes sense. Also, you have to keep in mind that all of this totally depends upon the mythos of XIV. This reworking of the system might not make sense in traditional class evolution terms, but hopefully it'll all come together in the coming updates.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2011
    CofLSilk said:
    Thief, thief, thief, thief (I before E, except after C)! We'll just have to wait and see what they end up churning out. My impression is that the XIV team wants to make this relaunch much more successful than the first one, so they are sure to take their time making sure stuff is balanced and makes sense. Also, you have to keep in mind that all of this totally depends upon the mythos of XIV. This reworking of the system might not make sense in traditional class evolution terms, but hopefully it'll all come together in the coming updates.

    I want to claim it was a typo, but then I spelled it that way like, three times.

    I also want to get annoyed that you had to call me out with the spellcheck, but then I remember how annoying it is when people spell rogue as "rouge", so I'm just going to sex my wife and call it a night.
    sup?
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    CofLSilk said:
    One of the big problems for me was that XIV was near unplayable on my computer, even with a good setup. Fixing that alone would go a long ways towards drawing people back. I still wish they'd dump the whole "PS2 limitations" thing and give FFXI a total overhaul, though....FFXI-2 doesn't sound -that- bad.
    The PS2 version has now become horribly glitchy because of the current skeleton crew working FFXI. When you talk to an NPC the game will randomly freeze so that you have to DC on purpose to fix it. I used to like it because it was the most stable out of the three versions but this has totally changed. Plus Sony doesn't support PS2 development anymore....

    This is one reason why even the JP players who are hardcore PS2 keep trying to push SE to drop the PS2 in favor of a PS3 edition of FFXI which I don't know if that will ever happen.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2011
    Shadowcat said:
    This is one reason why even the JP players who are hardcore PS2 keep trying to push SE to drop the PS2 in favor of a PS3 edition of FFXI which I don't know if that will ever happen.
    Final Fantasy XI: Vita Edition! Believe.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    Careful there, Mac, or I'll start calling you the Sony Fanboy again. :)
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Final Fantasy XI: Vita Edition! Believe.
    Actually, I heard a rumor that they might be thinking of that.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2011
    It's not a rumour per se, it's just not a confirmed game either. We discussed this post-podcast, but without going into deep detail FFXI was on a list of proposed concepts for the Vita which has since leaked.
Sign In or Register to comment.