If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of the Abyss 3DS

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited December 2011 in Staff Review Blogs
Hi all,

This will be my staff review blog while I play through Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS. For those in America confused about why I'm playing it now, it was released on the 25th November here, instead of the February 2012 date you guys have.

Some other background info, due to the original PS2 version not being released in Europe (and also I didn't have a PS2), I have not played that version. I have, however, seen the anime so I do have basic knowledge of the plot. By all means feel free to ask any questions I will do my best to answer, but any questions on changes will obviously need to be specific. Remember to use the spoiler tags - ["spoiler"]["/spoiler"] without the " marks - if talking about plot details. I'll try and be very limited on what plot details I reveal, after the first entry I'll probably start spoiler-tagging place names too.

edit - I'll try and get a new entry up every 3 or 4 days

Blog Entries -

1. 27/11 - Below this list.
2. 01/12 - Link.
3. 06/12 - Link.
4. 15/12 - Link.
Final. 19/12 - Link.

Entry 1 - 27/11 - Gameplay time: 5 hours

Just reached Kaitzur and returned to Kimlasca. Initial thought are that it's definitely a solid Tales game, but I haven't been quite as asorbed into the beginning of the story as I was with Symphonia and Vesperia, just hasn't quite sold me fully into the premise yet. Characters are all likeable enough, Luke is clearly a bit jerk/selfish, but it's at least very understandable why and he's not yet done anything to get on my nerves, while still showing he's good at heart.

The touchscreen is a bit underused. It displays the world map when on the, uh, world map, and only appears to be used to show possible button presses in towns and when browsing the menus. It gets some use in battles, but only to use the four extra assignable artes, or to decide whether and what to cook after the battle.

On a technical front, the resolution is clearly been a bit reduced from the PS2 version so as to fit on the 3DS screen, but it still looks pretty nice and keeps the same graphical feel the other recent Tales games have. The 3D works fairly well (similar to how Ocarina of Time felt to me anyway), but I am playing mostly with it turned off as I have a slight issue with the 3D thing as a whole. I will be turning it on ocassionally just to check how if it keeps it up. Also note there appears to only be four save slots, obviously should be enough to one player, but may be annoying for those like me who like to end up with roughly 50 save files :p

Oh, and the theme song appears to be the instrumental version of Karma, rather than Bump of Chicken's full version.

Feel free to ask any questions, or discuss/disagree away ^^
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2011
    You're already past Kaitzur within 5 hours? Damn you've been busy. Means you've missed a couple of sidequests, but those aren't necessary to beat the game. They're nice bonuses (as all side quests in Tales games are), but you don't really need to do them.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    I'll be getting this in a matter of days.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited November 2011
    The 3DS version will be my first experience with the game, once it comes out in North America. I look forward to it.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited November 2011
    By the way Severin, do tell us how you feel about the twist dealing with Luke
    being merely a replica(clone) of Asch, who is in fact the real Luke,
    when you get there. To know when to look at the spoiler, wait until after the events dealing with Akzeriuth and the city immediately following it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    You're already past Kaitzur within 5 hours? Damn you've been busy. Means you've missed a couple of sidequests, but those aren't necessary to beat the game. They're nice bonuses (as all side quests in Tales games are), but you don't really need to do them.

Well I haven't entered the actual port yet, did go back and do a couple of minor sidequests last night. Generally not too fussed about ensuring I hunt them out in Tales games, because as you said they're more minor bonuses than anything. Will do them if I find them as I go through though and they're not especially out of the way.

Regarding the spoilered twist, I have watched the anime so I already know about it. I'll wait to see how the game handles it before I comment on it though ^^
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2011
    Oh, and the theme song appears to be the instrumental version of Karma, rather than Bump of Chicken's full version.
    That's the best version!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited December 2011
    I got my copy today and this is easily the worst implementation of 3D that I've seen on the 3DS, not that it matters.
    edited December 2011
    I got my copy today and this is easily the worst implementation of 3D that I've seen on the 3DS, not that it matters.

Yeah a long game like this you'll want it off to save battery life anyway.
    sig.gif
    edited December 2011
    Wheels wrote: »
    Yeah a long game like this you'll want it off to save battery life anyway.

Not really a concern for me, I bought a Nyko power grip and am now getting obscene amounts of battery life from my 3DS!

The 3D is really bad though. Somehow Bamco managed to get it so that the 3D was only marginally noticeable whilst simultaneously making it feel as though your eyes are turning themselves inside out!
    edited December 2011
    Not really a concern for me, I bought a Nyko power grip and am now getting obscene amounts of battery life from my 3DS!

The 3D is really bad though. Somehow Bamco managed to get it so that the 3D was only marginally noticeable whilst simultaneously making it feel as though your eyes are turning themselves inside out!

Yikes! I will make sure to keep it off
    sig.gif
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    ...whilst simultaneously making it feel as though your eyes are turning themselves inside out!
    I'm not sure I want to know what that feels like...
    edited December 2011
    Only a fairly short one this time around. Hopefully get some more next time.

Entry 2 - 01/12 - Gameplay time: 10 hours

Can't say I suffered quite that much myself when turning the 3D on, but will agree it doesn't add anything to the game at all. Battery life isn't too much of an issue with 3D off at least, getting good play sessions without having to worry, but I am usually playing on my bed right next to a plug socket.

Anyway I have now advanced to what should be most of the way through the
    Baticul Factory
    , and now with a party of six. I'm enjoying most of the characters (especially Jade, the exception is naturally the young kid character). The plot has fortunately picked up a bit, but it's still definitely not grabbed my interest as much as previously mentioned Tales games. Not really feeling the motivation against any of the antagonists either yet, although Dist has provided some entertaining moments at least.

It isn't providing too much of a challenge so far on the standard difficulty (except for when I tried to take on the Sword Dancer sidequest while woefully underlevelled), so I may ramp it up. The battle system doesn't quite as deep of the other Tales games either, but maybe it's not quite reached its full capabilities yet, I did just unlock the TCS (that allows you to improve artes) after all. I defintely haven't seen how the FoF can be used enough yet.
    edited December 2011
    Oh you'll love it when you see what the FoF can truly dish out, as some of the upgrades are quite nice, with the later FoF changes being powerful enough that you wish to spam them during all boss fights.
    edited December 2011
    Entry 3 - 06/12 - Gameplay time: 18 hours

I've advanced a pretty decent amount in the plot now and am at the
    Oracle Knights HQ in Daath
    . Of course this means I've passed the twist mentioned by DarkRPGMaster above. In general I think it was handled very well. That whole sequence was sort of a turning point where the story has finally got properly going and has so far easily been the best part of the game. Only thing that didn't entirely sell me was how some of the characters behaved immediately before and after (
    Not just Luke, e.g. Asch are you really surprised the guy you treated like a reject doesn't want to listen?
    ), although it does make sense for the party to have a dynamic that can reach that point. On the whole though it was good and I've liked how they handled stuff regarding
    Luke's attempt to change
    after too.

Regarding the FoF I've discover another few artes that change, so now I've got a few that I can actually use every now and then their usefulness is much more apparent.

One final note about the 3D, I'm not sure the fully animated cutscenes are 3D-enabled. I may be wrong, but at least I wasn't able to tell any difference between turning it off and on (there is a noticeable difference in all the other areas even if it isn't actually very good).

Also, is there an RPG in existence where place names look more like they were created by keyboard mashing than on Tales of the Abyss? :P
    edited December 2011
    No, you are correct - there is no perceptible 3D effect during animated cutscenes.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2011
    The plot twist in Tales of the Abyss that happens around the 20 hour mark (for me at least) is what makes the whole game. Up until that point I was not particularly impressed and I even took a long break from it to play other games, but once I got to the plot twist my faith in the storyline and especially the character development multiplied and for the first time the game was hard to put down. In this case I really underestatimated the writers because based on previous experience with JRPG storylines I wasn't expecting them to actually be going somewhere with Luke's horrible personality.
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually quite enjoying how completely horrid Luke's attitude is.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I liked how he was always kicking the little cute thing. JRPG heroes never do that.
    edited December 2011
    I just love how completely socially graceless Luke is, he half reminds me of an unintelligent Sheldon Cooper.
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually quite enjoying how completely horrid Luke's attitude is.

I think that's one of the best parts of the story!
    sig.gif
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    The best part of Tales of the Abyss is Jade Curtiss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited December 2011
    Quin wrote: »
    The best part of Tales of the Abyss is Jade Curtiss.
    Quoted for truth. The only thing that comes close to being as good as him is the battle system, and that's partially not even close.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    <3 Jade. You can never have too much snark in a Tales game.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait to play this game again =D This game has, in my opinion at least (but I'm going to say this with strong conviction!!!! lol), the best character development in any JRPG I have ever played. The characters are so ridiculously different at the end of the game. You really feel like you have watched them grow a lot throughout the game's events. Luke is obviously the biggest example and the shining light of this point, but the rest of the cast goes through a lot of changing as well.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited December 2011
    Entry 3 - 06/12 - Gameplay time: 18 hours

Also, is there an RPG in existence where place names look more like they were created by keyboard mashing than on Tales of the Abyss? :P

Well, I dunno about the dungeon names, but all the city/town names have a unifying naming convention:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth

It's actually pretty cool from where I come from, not having any knowledge of these terms before, so not sure how common knowledge it is especially how old the game is now. But really, when I read that first article, my mind was totally blown after finishing Abyss lol
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited December 2011
    My mind is now blown. Sure they moved some of them around in terms of location, but still...
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited December 2011
    Well to be fair, it doesn't quite cover all of them, and some of the transliterations make more sense when written in Japanese. I still can't find a theme for the southwestern (mainly Kimlasca's) cities of Baticul, Kaitzur, Sheridan, Belkend, despite them being in the influence of the same country, or I'm just missing it lol. But I bet if I looked there's got to be a link with them as well.

Regardless, I found the link between the names pretty fascinating, especially considering the story :)

EDIT: Found a gamefaqs board topic discussing the missing names, the Japanese wikipedia entry for the Qliphoth is a bit more useful than the English one apparently: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/929343-tales-of-the-abyss/52666715
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited December 2011
    Not surprised to hear that they were based in reality, after the Norse theme in Symphonia, that yeah pretty interesting. I kinda like it when I discover things like that.

I think Sheridan is part of Kimlasca, it's location would kinda make sense for that but not 100%, I'll go and find out properly later.
    edited December 2011
    Sheridan IS a part of Kimlasca, yes, though if I remember correctly it used to belong to Malduke. As of the game's time, I believe the town considers itself neutral.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Iv just been looking at this game on ebay and its goin for upwards of £60 and you can still by it from onling shops for bout half that.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster