If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of the Abyss 3DS

2»

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Entry 4 - 15/12 - Gameplay Time: 33 hours

Been a while since I updated but honestly hasn't been too much I have to add from earlier, so if people have some specific questions feel free to ask so I can stick more in next time :P. Got past the
    Yulia City peace conference
    and
    stopped the core
    . There's obviously still a good number of twists and turns to go, which is good as the story is going along very nicely now. Although it does make the slow start more disappointing in hindsight. I am really attached to the party characters though now, their development is one of the better executions the Tales series has had.

It is sold out in a number of places though. Not like they went all out with the advertising for it, and they didn't even bother putting it in many physical stores.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I think that most people probably know what to expect from a Tales game anyway ..
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Does any1 know if this is any different from the PS2 version?
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
    edited December 2011
    Aside from obvious controls/graphics/menus, it seems to be the same. I understand loading times were an issue in the PS2 version, but the 3DS ones are fine. There is a very ocassional, brief slow down on the world map (appears to be enemy-related) but it's easily ignored.

Actual content looks to be the same though, haven't seen anything to indicate any additions.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, from what I've heard it's a straight-up port with only technical improvements.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    bout how bad were load times on the ps2?
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2011
    Well, they could get annoying at times. There were moments where it had to load in the middle of a battle. Not a fun thing to come across, but that usually happened when you had too many artes going off at once (the ones that have more graphic to them).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    From watching YouTube vids it appeared that loading times were absolutely intolerable on the PS2 - loading times are negligible on the 3DS, making it the clearly better version.

Some of the textures do look a little sloppy in the 3DS version though. I'm not sure if they were this way on the PS2, but I suspect that they may have been a little sharper.

Also, the alizing is quite bad by 3DS standards.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited December 2011
    Final Entry - 19/12 - Completion Time: 51 Hours

Well, managed to play a lot over the weekend and polish the final dungeon off this evening. Hoping to get the review up in the next day or so. Final battle was pretty nicely done.

I did like the ending, nice change of pace that they kept it fairly short and didn't try and show too much of happenings after like some other games. Only time I experienced any slow down in a battle was in the standard bonus coliseum fight against other Tales characters (which I lost and didn't bother trying again :P), where it dropped a bit when all eight fighters were spamming artes, was fine otherwise and even that one wasn't too bad.

Edit

Review is posted, all further discussion should go in that thread - link here.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2011
    The loading times on the PS2 were only a problem on the world map, where enemy encounters took forever to load. I simply avoided getting into scraps while on the world map and I wasn't bothered by the loading.