If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Chrono Trigger Travels to the iOS Era

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited December 2011 in Latest Updates
The meandering journey of a heroic band of time travelers has landed them in the new, unfamiliar realm of the iOS App Store. Hopefully this will not lead to the development of the iBlack Omen.

[Link]

Comments

• colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    SE milking that dead cow
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Because making classics available to new generations = milking.

Why don't they hoard their old games so nobody under the age of 25 will ever hear of them like a real company would?
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    colormonster said:
    SE milking that dead cow
    No one is forcing you to buy it
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited December 2011
    So what's the horrid controls tax on this one...?

/checks

$2. Uh, pass.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited December 2011
    Shaymin said:
    So what's the horrid controls tax on this one...?

/checks

$2. Uh, pass.
    Uhh what do you mean tax? Its the same price as the last version released (PSN)
  • josahjosah New Member New Members
    edited December 2011
    colormonster said:
    SE milking that dead cow
    To the extent that they're basically just packaging emulated versions of the game to make a buck off of work by people who mostly aren't around anymore? Yeah, they're kind of milking it. I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game, even if it was just a high-resolution remastering with updated animations. ANY degree of improvement, really. It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.

It's easy to talk about "keeping the classics alive", but I seriously doubt that's SE's motivation for CT ports. If they actually loved the game enough to want to bring it to a new generation, they'd put some bloody elbow grease into it.

/heck, emulating it on a PC 10 years ago with a simple graphics filter applied was a better way to experience the game than even the newest port
    edited December 2011
    josah said:
    To the extent that they're basically just packaging emulated versions of the game to make a buck off of work by people who mostly aren't around anymore? Yeah, they're kind of milking it. I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game, even if it was just a high-resolution remastering with updated animations. ANY degree of improvement, really. It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.

It's easy to talk about "keeping the classics alive", but I seriously doubt that's SE's motivation for CT ports. If they actually loved the game enough to want to bring it to a new generation, they'd put some bloody elbow grease into it.

/heck, emulating it on a PC 10 years ago with a simple graphics filter applied was a better way to experience the game than even the newest port
    Call it what you want, if there wasn't a demand for it, they wouldn't be porting it to a bunch of different platforms.
  • stealthstealth Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2011
    It is milking

5+ re releases, without a true sequel
    edited December 2011
    Yea, why can't they be more like LucasArts, who locks their long beloeved games in a vault and licenses out Star Wars games? They're respectable for that! And I think it's great that future generations will never experience their titles in any form unless they're up for piracy and an emulator.

...oh, and frankly, I'm fine with endless ports of CT if it means Masato Kato doesn't get his hands on it again. The iOS version has the obnoxious DS retcons in it, which were just even more crap shoe-horned in to make sure we all understand that Chrono Trigger is far inferior to the game HE made based on the license.
  • ShurikenShuriken Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure I get what Rebochan is trying to tell us in the second paragraph.

Well, anyway, here's my German point of view: the first time we (officially) got to play Chrono Trigger was when it came out in the form of the DS port. It was only in English - which was fine by me. (I knew the game before anyway because my brother imported the american SNES game)
    However, many other people were disappointed by the lack of localization.
    DS games were like 40 euros (about 50USD) at that time and Chrono Trigger DS's price was not coming down fast or at all really, unlike most other games. So it's not such a big surprise for me, that Chrono Trigger DS wasn't that huge success SE was hoping for.

And now, a few years later a version of the game comes out for ios with an 8€ price tag and what's happening...suddenly it's playable in German Oo something Secret of Mana, which was even released in German back in the day, couldn't pull off for some reason.

So considering all, I'm strongly in favor of ios versions, since they will be playable for a long while on new devices and as was said before, introduce other people to games they would otherwise not know about.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I'm waiting for an ipad version of chrono trigger
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Wheels said:
    Uhh what do you mean tax? Its the same price as the last version released (PSN)
    I was referring to the last one I bought - the Wii VC one ($8). The PSN one is broken for different reasons.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game
    To be fair, there is a small country's worth of people out there who'd bomb SE's corporate headquarters if they dared ruined Chrono Trigger's "purity" with a clumsy remake...or whatever fanboys say. If SE is to choose between the gamers who turn up their noses at every re-release of a game and the rabid Square fanboys who buy up anything from the good ol' days, who do you think they'd prefer to cater to?

At least there is some honour in re-releasing a classic in its original glory. It's not like they're slapping the Chrono name on every piece of software that successfully compiles on their computers for easy sales like a certain RPG franchise we know...
    It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.
    An indie group tried to do an N64 remake of the game some years back, but then Square found out and sent their ninjas. There were bloody keyboards and N64 gamepads everywhere. It was tragic.
  • QuinQuin これはメタです RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    TG Barighm said:
    To be fair, there is a small country's worth of people out there who'd bomb SE's corporate headquarters if they dared ruined Chrono Trigger's "purity" with a clumsy remake...
    CT kinda falls into the same category as FFVII there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind the iOS port at all; no harm done to me. But those text boxes and battle menus just look off. They don't fit the graphical style of the game at all.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    josah said:

SE can sell whatever they like for however much they want to, but they'll earn none of my respect by selling a third hand ROM of a SNES game for $5-6 more than quality original iOS titles.

They should do what Sega does and release their 16bit catalog for $2-3 each.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Shuriken said:
    And now, a few years later a version of the game comes out for ios with an 8€ price tag and what's happening...suddenly it's playable in German Oo something Secret of Mana, which was even released in German back in the day, couldn't pull off for some reason.

So considering all, I'm strongly in favor of ios versions, since they will be playable for a long while on new devices and as was said before, introduce other people to games they would otherwise not know about.
    Wait a second. Chrono Trigger will be available in German? Really truly?

Is this game for iPhone or for iPad?
    edited December 2011
    Shuriken said:
    I'm not sure I get what Rebochan is trying to tell us in the second paragraph.
    That I hope Chrono Trigger is never remade, because if it is, it will be with Masato Kato at the head and the plot will be further rewritten to emphasize how much better he thinks his own game, Chrono Cross, is. The Dream Devourer crap in the DS version was him making more retcons to Trigger (and Cross for that matter). I seriously don't trust that guy with another Chrono project, which is the only reason I'm happy the franchise is dead aside from a few ports.
    edited December 2011
    I'd be happy with a CT fan remake, but I wouldn't trust SE with the project, nor would I trust them with a FFVII remake for that matter.
    edited December 2011
    Why remake an existing game if you could just make a cool new game.

Re-releasing old games is cool, but completely remaking seems very pointless to me. It's just a sign that a company has no good game designers.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Rebochan said:
    That I hope Chrono Trigger is never remade, because if it is, it will be with Masato Kato at the head and the plot will be further rewritten to emphasize how much better he thinks his own game, Chrono Cross, is. The Dream Devourer crap in the DS version was him making more retcons to Trigger (and Cross for that matter). I seriously don't trust that guy with another Chrono project, which is the only reason I'm happy the franchise is dead aside from a few ports.
    Honestly I still believe that Cross is just an alternate universe unto itself that has nothing to do with the story line of Trigger. It does exist in the multiverse but it's still just another alternate dimension....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Shadowcat.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Shadowcat said:
    Honestly I still believe that Cross is just an alternate universe unto itself that has nothing to do with the story line of Trigger. It does exist in the multiverse but it's still just another alternate dimension....
    Well that was how Radical Dreamers managed to stay canonical. Don't see why not, although I personally don't have that much of an issue with Cross... or at least my recollection of it after more than a decade.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I remember about it (Chrono Cross) was that the combat was horrible, while Chrono Trigger's battle system is basically my favorite. Especially how every single battle has basically a different "Fade In" with its own little story.
  • QuinQuin これはメタです RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Well that was how Radical Dreamers managed to stay canonical. Don't see why not, although I personally don't have that much of an issue with Cross... or at least my recollection of it after more than a decade.
    Same, although I don't have an issue with Cross being in the same universe as Trigger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited December 2011
    So... has anyone tried this version yet? I've heard on another forum that it's not a great port due to the interface and performance issues. Also, they dropped the FMVs despite the file size being fairly large for a SNES ROM. Can anyone confirm?
    Quin said:
    Same, although I don't have an issue with Cross being in the same universe as Trigger.
    Neither do I. I'm just saying if that's the sort of thing people need to let themselves sleep at night instead of quivering in rage at some perceived wronging/travesty then more power to them. At least that interpretation make sense in the Chronoverse.
    edited December 2011
    How could CT be over 500mb without the fmvs?!!
    edited December 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    How could CT be over 500mb without the fmvs?!!
    That was what people were saying too. My guess is that the FMVs are there but they'll be activated in a future update.

EDIT: Just looked on the store page. Someone says they're using Apple Lossless Audio Codec for the audio which explains the giant filesize (since the audio isn't compressed to the same degree as MP3).

EDIT EDIT: As for the price. This is totally a fair price (although maybe not in the current state) for Chrono Trigger. Enough indie games sell for $10 or more with the same level of polish/detail as this game did. $1 apps shouldn't be the expectation on iOS. This game is far more compelling than a lot of current games and it's an absolute steal at $10 when you consider the SNES cartridge cost $60+ and the DS version was around $35.
    edited December 2011
    shoptroll said:
    So... has anyone tried this version yet? I've heard on another forum that it's not a great port due to the interface and performance issues. Also, they dropped the FMVs despite the file size being fairly large for a SNES ROM. Can anyone confirm?
    I've only made it past the first trip to the past, but I haven't seen any performance issues. I did see an odd instance where battle music wouldn't play, but that's about it. The controls are fine except for targeting in battle, which feels a bit finicky, mostly due to the speed at which you need to target. Other than that, its been fine, and looks great on the iPhone's screen.
    edited December 2011
    shoptroll said:
    That was what people were saying too. My guess is that the FMVs are there but they'll be activated in a future update.

EDIT: Just looked on the store page. Someone says they're using Apple Lossless Audio Codec for the audio which explains the giant filesize (since the audio isn't compressed to the same degree as MP3).

EDIT EDIT: As for the price. This is totally a fair price (although maybe not in the current state) for Chrono Trigger. Enough indie games sell for $10 or more with the same level of polish/detail as this game did. $1 apps shouldn't be the expectation on iOS. This game is far more compelling than a lot of current games and it's an absolute steal at $10 when you consider the SNES cartridge cost $60+ and the DS version was around $35.
    $60 fifteen years ago ...

If this was an original title then the premium price would be more than justified, but this is just a rom, and other classic roms sell for considerably less. I'd hardly call $10 a steal.