If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

EA Reckons Cross-Promotion Will Have The Desired Effect

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited January 2012 in Latest Updates
Sadly, dressing one's Reckoning character in Shepard armour will not magically cause her to be voice-acted by Jennifer Hale. Otherwise, this Reckoning/ME3 demo cross-promotion looks pretty cool.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2012
    At least this time you don't actually have to buy the game you want the loot from.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited January 2012
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    i approve of demos giving me free stuff
    Also, no playing Facebook games of questionable quality for free loots.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    So ill have to play a demo for a game i have no interest in I.E ME3, so i can get some stuff for a game i do want to play, I just hope that these items have some use and arn't just for cosmetic purposes.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    hoktomaster said:
    So ill have to play a demo for a game i have no interest in I.E ME3, so i can get some stuff for a game i do want to play, I just hope that these items have some use and arn't just for cosmetic purposes.

Waaahhh I have to put effort into free stuff waaaa! It better be high quality freebies waaa!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    well, this is an interesting thing to do. I'm not entirely sold on ME3 but would like the free stuff from playing its demo. Perhaps the demo might then convince me to buy ME3?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited January 2012
    lolwhoops said:
    well, this is an interesting thing to do. I'm not entirely sold on ME3 but would like the free stuff from playing its demo. Perhaps the demo might then convince me to buy ME3?
    Did you like the first two? If not, this is more of the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Did you like the first two? If not, this is more of the same.
    I'm more or less unsure of how RPG it will actually be. The demo will basically tell me whether I get it soon or wait for the inevitable 20 bucks price tag that I wait for when I'm unsure of a game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited January 2012
    lolwhoops said:
    I'm more or less unsure of how RPG it will actually be. The demo will basically tell me whether I get it soon or wait for the inevitable 20 bucks price tag that I wait for when I'm unsure of a game.
    I'm willing to bet both demos don't provide proper slices of the game to really give anyone a reasonable impression.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2012
    The Reckoning demo says you start at the beginning and get 45 minutes of playtime. That will get you through the tutorial and out into the game's world. Not enough to give you a great feel, but enough to give you a good idea of what to expect.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Macstorm said:
    The Reckoning demo says you start at the beginning and get 45 minutes of playtime. That will get you through the tutorial and out into the game's world. Not enough to give you a great feel, but enough to give you a good idea of what to expect.
    According to the press release, you get 45 minutes after you finish the tutorial and make it to the first town.
    From the Well of Souls, you will venture into the Allestar Glade and meet Agarth the Fateweaver, a key character who will introduce you to the exciting, visceral combat of Reckoning. From this point, you will have 45 minutes to explore Allestar Glade, Gorhart Village, and Odarath, three areas within the rich, massive world of Amalur.You’ll also have the opportunity to embark on a variety of quests.
    Get your Portable ID!
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I vastly prefer something like this to retailer exclusives, which DO directly screw loyal customers. This is especially true with exclusive quests or story related stuff. Want all the items in the game? Well, you'd better preorder from Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, and Amazon! Bah...
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    Jitawa said:
    I vastly prefer something like this to retailer exclusives, which DO directly screw loyal customers. This is especially true with exclusive quests or story related stuff. Want all the items in the game? Well, you'd better preorder from Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, and Amazon! Bah...
    Yeah, I actually instituted a policy in which we don't report retailer exclusives as news. It was starting to feel way too much like free advertising for stores that were participating in a practice that gamers almost unanimously dislike. This demo cross-promo, however, is available to everyone and is actually kinda cool, so it was all good.
    edited January 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Yeah, I actually instituted a policy in which we don't report retailer exclusives as news. It was starting to feel way too much like free advertising for stores that were participating in a practice that gamers almost unanimously dislike.
    I approve, although it seems like more publishers are eventually releasing the retailer exclusive stuff as paid DLC after release. Hopefully this trend continues, because permanently locking down content to specific retailers is really consumer unfriendly.
    edited January 2012
    And from Curt Schilling's Twitter account: "Demo launches tomorrow, ALL PLATFORMS! Please download then stop by our forums and let us know what you think!"

All platforms tomorrow confirmed! :D
    edited January 2012
    It is available for XBL Gold members now, not sure when silver will be available. PSN and PC will be later today. PSN usually updates in the evening EST.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2012
    Don't Silver members get downloads a week or two after Gold?
    edited January 2012
    So it seems...screw XBL. Downloading on PSN today, I guess. Was the FFXIII-2 XBL demo gold only? I downloaded it on PSN.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2012
    Stoked about these demos. Especially ME3. Most anticipated game ever. No exaggeration there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

edited January 2012
    It's up for PC now, though only on stupid Origin so far. :(
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2012
    Ahh Origin, something I don't want to use because of certain reports of people being banned on their forums = loss of being able to play games. I don't want to have to go through that if it's true.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Ocelot said:

EA is only putting there stuff on Origin. So no use going all sadface for that. It's their business who distributes their digital copy. And since they own Origin thats the only place they need. Also if you don't wanna be banned from their forums don't use the forums.

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited January 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Just saw a pre-order page hit Steam, so there should be a demo there soonish...
    edited January 2012
    Yep! I'm really curious how they managed to get the game up on EA's latest arch-enemy.
    edited January 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Yep! I'm really curious how they managed to get the game up on EA's latest arch-enemy.
    The publisher is listed a 38 Studios, so I wonder if EA isn't publishing the PC version, or if there's something else going on.

EDIT: Ok, something else is going on according to the developer FAQ: http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2167-Reckoning-Available-Now-on-Steam!

Basically, there's two versions of the game O_o, although you can still get the ME3 stuff through the Steam demo.
    edited January 2012
    Actually, that page no longer exists on Steam. I clicked the link, and it took me to the main page. Reckoning isn't even in the game listing.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Actually, that page no longer exists on Steam. I clicked the link, and it took me to the main page. Reckoning isn't even in the game listing.
    Weird. It's pretty official though: http://twitter.com/#!/ReckoningGame/status/159362410594045952

EDIT: Steam page works fine for me.
    edited January 2012
    Hmm, working for me now, but the link wasn't working when I tried it a few minutes ago.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Hmm, working for me now, but the link wasn't working when I tried it a few minutes ago.
    It happens. The store page wasn't live when the press announcement went into the Steam news section either.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    just played the demo. a few quick thoughts

Aesthetics: when i heard mcfarlane was attached to the art dept. I was expecting the excesses of 90's comics, but it like what we got. nice, bright colours varied environments. a bit derivative of WoW, but not in a bad way. also, awesome mustache options for characters

Combat: stiff. not painfully bad, but bothersome. I'm not sure when three hit combos and action rpgs got married, but maybe it's time they started seeing other people, like free-form fighting.

Story: I realize bob salvitore and creativity get along like like fish and bowling, but come on gimme something outside the box.

side-quests: i walked through newbietown and hit like 6 fetch quests. bugger that. I'm too busy figuring out my special destiny of not having a destiny to find your shoes and clean your eaves troughs, guys.

still I'm more interested in the game than I was when I started the download. maybe I'll come back to it once the price drops or I can borrow it from somebody.