If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Darksiders II - Preview

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited January 2012 in Latest Updates
Some things are easy to undo, accidentally triggering the Apocalypse too early is not one of them. Taking a look at Darksiders II, we can probably assume Death's idea for the process involves a good deal of violence.

[ Preview ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    I'm looking forward to Darksiders 2. I am currently playing through Darksiders 1 and I'm really enjoying it. 2 looks better in just about every way. I really like that they are adding a lot more RPG mechanics to the game to really flesh the world and Death out.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2012
    It kind of rubs me the wrong way that they've basically turned Death into Spawn. This is what I see when I picture Death, not this.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Meeeeh. The original was a terribly sloggish bore. I'll wait to see how this one goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I just hope these new feature dont seem just tacked on for the hell of it. I thought the first one was excellent.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    This is what I see when I picture Death
    Well they have to come up with some kind of character model that can work in this kind of game. Nito doesn't exactly jump around or you know, have awesome combos.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2012
    You could trim him down and choose a design that makes more sense in the context of an action game without turning him into some buff dude. The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.
    edited January 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.
    Hah hah... seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    You could trim him down and choose a design that makes more sense in the context of an action game without turning him into some buff dude. The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.
    Well, Wrestlemania is only a few months away....
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorta interested in how they'll portray Pestilence or Famine. Although that Death does look Spawnish ... or Skeletor-ish

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited January 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHgpW4b5ew

I like this type of Death. Just a guy in a suit is good enough for me. I don't need the crow meets punisher meets darkness.

The game still looks cool though.
    sup?
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
  • zazentofuzazentofu New Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Honestly not at all surprised that Death looks the way he does because the first game (not so sure about 2nd)
    had Joe Madureira, a well-regarded comic book artist in american comic book circles, be the creative director. To be fair he's a bit influenced by manga, but his base american comic book style really shows through in the game aesthetics.

Basically buff superheroes.

I mean, not that I'm a fan of it, but I thought that was kind of one of the selling point of the series or something.
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    alright guys. imagine the exact same game but with terry pratchett's death instead.
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I think if I were playing death incarnate I'd rather be gaunt/skeletal like the grim reaper rather than buff, but it's okay, he is the pale rider...not the grim reaper (right?). If that's how they want to personify one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then that's cool--at least he's pale in color (keep in mind I haven't played Darksiders, I just remember the four horsemen being characters or whatever).

Personally, I'd make Death gaunt/skeletal, War the big buff beefy guy (which he was in the first Darksiders, right?), Pestilence would be bloated and fat in a rotting-corpse sort of way, and Famine would have to be gaunt too I suppose--though making Famine look too much like an actual starving person might be in bad taste...
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    Just Doug said:
    he is the pale rider...not the grim reaper (right?). If that's how they want to personify one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then that's cool--at least he's pale in color

Pestilence would be bloated and fat in a rotting-corpse sort of way, and Famine would have to be gaunt too I suppose
    I was going to mention what it actually says in Revelations in this thread since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge, but didn't think it was needed since the commentary was more about aesthetic preferences than Biblical source material.

In short, you are correct in that Death, the Horseman of the Apocalypse, is not the same as the Grim Reaper, much less other personifications of Death just in the Bible, which includes many. His horse is pale; Death himself isn't physically described at all. He's just a dude on a sickly-looking horse. There is no Horseman associated with pestilence. The White Rider brings conquest. The Red Rider brings war. The Black Rider brings famine. The Pale Rider is Death and Hades follows him. On that note, the Black Rider wouldn't be gaunt. He brings famine to the world, but he's just a dude on a horse holding a set of scales.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    If they do a Darksiders for Famine/Pestilence, I hope they make him a giant locust guy. That'd be rad.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I can't wait. The first one was extremely charming, and a lot of fun. This looks better in every single way!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    I'm sorta interested in how they'll portray Pestilence or Famine. Although that Death does look Spawnish ... or Skeletor-ish
    Ocelot said:
    If they do a Darksiders for Famine/Pestilence, I hope they make him a giant locust guy. That'd be rad.
    For the purposes of Darksiders, the other Horsemen are "Strife" and "Fury" I believe. Fury is female, and by process of elimination she appears to the horsemen replacing "famine". Strife uses guns and rides a white horse I think, which would mean he replaces "Conquest" (according to the Darksiders wiki).
    edited January 2012
    It does look better, that is for sure. Still, that's not saying much to me, since the original was astoundingly derivative its almost unreal. Hopefully this one carves at least a little of its own identity aside form the whole facelift thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

• JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Confessor Rahl said:
    It does look better, that is for sure. Still, that's not saying much to me, since the original was astoundingly derivative its almost unreal. Hopefully this one carves at least a little of its own identity aside form the whole facelift thing.
    Well, the art-style and the plot are somewhat interesting at least. The gameplay is derivative, but better that than broken/bad. Not something that was going to win my game of the year, but well-above the Madden 2025, Call of Battlefied 6, and Buggy Broken Controls Low Budget Title 3 sorts of games.
    edited January 2012
    Why is being derivative such a bad thing? There's only so many types of games out there. having a Zelda-ish game, that was very similar to it, yet different in many other ways is actually pretty awesome.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

edited January 2012
    Zaku77 said:
    Why is being derivative such a bad thing? There's only so many types of games out there. having a Zelda-ish game, that was very similar to it, yet different in many other ways is actually pretty awesome.
    I just found it derivative to a fault. When it was announced I was excited by the premise, but when I played it... I just felt like I was playing Zelda, and Zelda has been derivative of itself for a long time. I didn't really see the point.

That said, I'm sure there is a market for this, it's just not me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

edited January 2012
    If you view the original thing as being derivative of itself then I think that is a downward spiral there is no getting out of >_> haha

edited January 2012
    Zaku77 said:
    If you view the original thing as being derivative of itself then I think that is a downward spiral there is no getting out of >_> haha
    Hah hah, touche. I always seem to be okay with giving Zelda a pass since it is indeed derivative, but its Zelda. This is... Zelda with a facelift. It doesn't sit well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

• MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Hah hah, touche. I always seem to be okay with giving Zelda a pass since it is indeed derivative, but its Zelda. This is... Zelda with a facelift. It doesn't sit well.
    But why does it have to be zelda with a face lift? I never understood why gamers consider only one series per genre to be the pure game series, and all other games in the same genre are ripoffs.

It makes zero sense. If every game was required to be original, video games would have died out some 30 years ago.

And there are more than enough differences between the two games to separate them, so it's hardly a zelda clone, they just exist in the same sub genre.
    sup?
    edited January 2012
    Maudren said:
    But why does it have to be zelda with a face lift? I never understood why gamers consider only one series per genre to be the pure game series, and all other games in the same genre are ripoffs.

It makes zero sense. If every game was required to be original, video games would have died out some 30 years ago.

And there are more than enough differences between the two games to separate them, so it's hardly a zelda clone, they just exist in the same sub genre.
    Really? I found them similar enough to label it a clone. I'm sure Zelda was influenced by games that came before, just like Darksiders is influenced by Zelda. I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you of anything. It's just that when I played Darksiders, all I could think of is "Hmmm... I think I'll go play Twilight Princess, its basically the same game but with a cooler setting." It makes perfect sense to me. Just like every Call of Duty game is a clone of the last. I still play that series because I like FPS more than I like adventure games. I found Darksider's derivative nature to be stagnant, and the setting not particularly interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

• Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    7thCircle said:
    I was going to mention what it actually says in Revelations in this thread since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge, but didn't think it was needed since the commentary was more about aesthetic preferences than Biblical source material.

In short, you are correct in that Death, the Horseman of the Apocalypse, is not the same as the Grim Reaper, much less other personifications of Death just in the Bible, which includes many. His horse is pale; Death himself isn't physically described at all. He's just a dude on a sickly-looking horse. There is no Horseman associated with pestilence. The White Rider brings conquest. The Red Rider brings war. The Black Rider brings famine. The Pale Rider is Death and Hades follows him. On that note, the Black Rider wouldn't be gaunt. He brings famine to the world, but he's just a dude on a horse holding a set of scales.
    Shows what I know about Revelations. I should've remembered that it was that Death "rides a pale horse" though. Thanks for the clarification!
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001