If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 207: "Klingons of American Racing"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited January 2012 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 207: "Klingons of American Racing"

Some minor technical issues dot this review of the worst RPG game systems, reasons people hate Skyrim, and justifications for long games. Diablo 3 and Trails in the Sky also star in some big stories this week. But who are we kidding? We talk about the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo and that's all anyone cares about, right?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/207

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Klingons of American Racing"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2012
    On Music:
    You DARE say FF6 is the greatest soundtrack? YOU DARE insult Yoko Shimomura and her amazing job with Parasite Eve!?

*slaps with glove*

WE MEET TOMORROW ON THE BATTLEFIELD!

On Worst Videogame Console/handheld:
    That was the hardest choice I've ever heard you guys made.

Best quote I heard from you guys:
    Person A: "But there's 8 races!
    Person B: "It doesn't matter, I have a backstory."
    Those have been added to my sig, as you can tell.

Other random notes:
    - oh lulz Zoltan...I laughed too hard there, WAYY TOO HARD! XD
    - I fell asleep during the Blizzard talk. You guys got into that a little too much.
    - I spent 2 and a half hours of my life listening to this. About 1 hour and 45 minutes of it I was bored. Next time, I'm playing my DS while I listen to this. And you were correct, I DID waste my life with this...I want a refund. D:
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2012
    OK, first off, the Pippen was far worse than the CD-i. There were 18 titles in the US for its entire life. 18. The situation wasn't much better in Japan, with only 80 titles for the system in its life there. Also, it had the... unique idea of including a trackball on the pad. And no Missile Command!

Oh, and the Elder Scrolls has ten playable races. Four races of man, four races of mer, and two beast races.

Anyway, moving on, here's a little something I found on Youtube that got me thinking...

[video=youtube_share;wINf5mdhnCU]

What traditional gamer food staples would you like to see come out of vending machines?

Me, I wouldn't mind trying a burger. Not sure if I'd be able to order it with no onions or mayo tho...

EDIT: Cinnamon rolls! If they could make a vending machine that could make a fresh, hot cinnamon roll, I'd be all over that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    Holy **** I'd totally go for cinnamon rolls in a vending machine. OM NOM NOM.

I think this goes to show they need me on just to corral the tangents down a bit, even if my cutoffs are a tad awkward :D
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    I would like to see a nachos machine.
    edited January 2012
    Give me a machine that gives me fruit! I DEMAND PINEAPPLE!
    User Database Check
    edited January 2012
    flamethrower said:
    Damn, that seems so obvious, yet I never thought of it.

[QUOTE=DarkRPGMaster]Give me a machine that gives me fruit! I DEMAND PINEAPPLE!

Wouldn't freshness be an issue? I mean, fruit goes bad somewhat fast...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2012
    MasterChief said:
    Wouldn't freshness be an issue? I mean, fruit goes bad somewhat fast...
    It'd be in a can. Fruit in a can.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    It'd be in a can. Fruit in a can.
    I guess, so long as it's one of those cans with the tab so you can open it without a can opener. Actually, not a bad idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    flamethrower said:
    This pretty much has to happen now.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Firemyst said:
    This pretty much has to happen now.
    We would just have to solve the problem of keeping the cheese from going bad
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
    edited January 2012
    Rosestorm said:
    Well, the pizza machine here solves that problem by keeping everything at -2 centigrade, which I imagine is a good way to slow down the aging process. I can imagine nacho cheese could be done that way, with it heated when a serving is ordered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2012
    Rosestorm said:
    Seems to me that "mexican" fast food and stadium concession stands just keep the cheese constantly warm and mixed. I think it would work. Depends how often it needs to be restocked and where you keep the "cheese" before loading it into the heating object.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited January 2012
    Chris has a vending machine that serves nachos. I think he needs to post a report and pics of this as soon as possible, so we can critique this idea even more. Who's with me?
    Founder, RPGamer
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited January 2012
    It's more of a dispenser than a vending machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34[/ATTACH]

[video=youtube_share;z1-azCeFGAo]
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Mesa want a nacho machine
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • DeadBowDeadBow New Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Actually Chris, you were right about the whole Atlus "G" tease being a promotion for both games. Earlier last year they announced Gungnir, which I guess you missed due to the holidays.

Gungnir Announcement
    Growlanser Announcement
    edited January 2012
    Oh man, that's a staple of every gas station and Fuddruckers ever. Nothing says love like putting nacho cheese sauce on your burger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    I know I'm a wee late to the party....

Re: Diablo 3 discussion....

I agree with Chris. Blizzard really refines their games before they release them. They've done that for years, even before WoW. Sure, there has always been some patching and balancing after release, especially with WoW, since MMO's need to evolve and have additional content to stay so viable. However, Even before WoW, games like Starcraft, Warcraft, etc were pretty well polished when they were released. And their developement cycle has always been longer than normal because of it.

Sure, they seem to be taking longer nowadays...and there's an arguement when it comes to the fact that with all the money from WoW, they can do that. Many gamers, myself included, are fine with the 'constant delays,' because their games are just so good. SC2 was SOOO worth the wait, IMHO. It was the first RTS game that even got me interested in Multiplayer because it was just so well done. So, I have no problem with them delaying D3 as long as necessary to make it super fun. I've never been a huge fan of Diablo style Action RPGs...but I have resolute fate that Blizzard's execution will be so polished, that I will become a new convert. :)
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Manny, a lot of people, including myself, loved Morrowind, but hated Oblivion. I'm sure there are people that loved Daggerfall and hated Morrowind, but I started the series with Morrowind, so I can't offer an opinion on that. Oblivion had a lot of problems, many of which were addressed in Skyrim. The complete level-scaling, the sameness of all of the dungeons and caves, and the bad writing were all at least partially fixed. The excessive hand-holding is still there, with automated quest markers on the map and compass to lead you through the game. It's impossible to get lost in the world, and getting lost can be pretty fun in a beautiful game world in a game centered on exploration.

And to address Mikel's point about the player character's backstory . . . not every game needs it. Some stories aren't primarily about the player character. Skyrim's story is pretty much entirely focused on the setting, so your character's origin really doesn't mater. That said, it's nice when a story can incorporate the player character's backstory and still allow choices to shape the experience (KOTOR 2 is even better than Mass Effect at this).
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited January 2012
    Nice show everyone. I think that all members on this show could take a lesson from Emanuel about how they voice they're opinions. Emanuel is the only one who can say, "That game may be bad to you, but others like it." Everyone else says, "No it sucks. That's a fact."

Anyway, I have a question about Skyrim. I only have a PS3 and you guys said that the PS3 version of Skyrim is by far the worst version. Can you please tell me exactly what kind of annoyances there are? If it's really that messed up, then I'll probably just go for Kingdoms of Amalur instead. What do you guys think of that?
    edited January 2012
    Nice show everyone. I think that all members on this show could take a lesson from Emanuel about how they voice they're opinions. Emanuel is the only one who can say, "That game may be bad to you, but others like it." Everyone else says, "No it sucks. That's a fact."
    I'm not so sure about that.

I mean, reviewers put their opinions out there everyday. Now, it's written and worded like there's fact. Indeed, much of their opinion is backed up by facts noted in the review. However, in the section(s) where they give a bottom line opinion, with few exceptions (usually those games getting really high or low scores), they make it sound like that poor/mediocre/good game can and will appeal to the right people who really enjoy X or they don't mind overlooking Y.

When we're talking on the show, we put a lot of opinions on the table... but I don't believe anyone of us ever says "This game sucks, that's a fact. No one can possibly like it." Yeah, I can see how it comes across sometimes as a 'matter of fact.' I just don't know of too many people, inside or outside of RPGamer who really say, "Yeah, this game sux for me so it must suck for you!" I guess we could all be politically correct, and everytime we put an opinion out about a game or an element of it, we could say "But you may feel differently," but that would get old after a while.

If I tell you I didn't like Oblivion more than Morrowind, I may argue with you. I may even come across as a bit of a donkey in my nerd rage. Hey, that's what half our discussion are about! However, I always understand that different people (not nearly as smart of myself of course! :P ) may feel differently and that's their right. I respect it. I'm just not going to state it every time I put a strong opinion on the table.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited January 2012
    No no. I agree that all the podcasters shouldn't have to say "In my humble opinion" or something like that before every statement. But they say "No it sucks" with the "that's a fact" nuance all the time yo. I know that's just the way we talk but there are often moments on RPGcast where the 1st person will say it sucks, the 2nd person will say it's good because they like it, and then 1st person will oppose it by say what amounts to "No, that's wrong." Usually it's just a normal argument but you can hear that it goes too far every now and then because Emanuel will get all upset. So it does happen. This time, nobody got upset and it was an enjoyable talk for me actually but just to let you know what it was that made me write that comment, it was 26:45. Michael says Oblivion is bad, Emanuel says it isn't bad, Michael just says yes it is.

Anyway, whether you think that the other members' method of voicing opinions is bad or not, let it be noted that for better or for worse nearly ALL disagreements among the cast end up with Emanuel saying that the good thing about the game industry is that there are games for all types of people.
    edited January 2012
    LOL...Well, Manny is awesome in that way. If nothing else, he's predictable!

I, personally, have no problem calling a bad game a bad game. I don't agree that every game is 'bad for some, good for others.' And, there's not always a game for 'everyone.' Well, more specifically, I haven't found every type of game I want.

My example: Dungeons & Dragons Tactics. I'm playing this game for RPGBacktrack.

I'm a huge D&D (Pre 4th edition) fan. Unfortunately, the D&D games of the late 90's through the 21st century have mostly been real time ala Baldur's Gate. D&D is a turn based game at the table. I've been DYING for a great video game representation of that. I still have dreams about the Gold Box games of the 80's (nigh unplayable today, even with the emulator's help). To have a modern reincarnation of those games would be my best dream come true.

Temple of Elemental Evil came close. However, it was riddle with very serious games and I was unable to get it going. So, when I got D&D tactics, I was super excited.

This game was made for me. Unfortunately, it was made VERY poorly.

I won't rant here on all the issues with it. I'll save it for the podcast. However, it's unequivocably a bad game. I should be the prime target. More than anybody else, I should be able to see past its faults. But, when a game is riddled with broken/poor game elements such as bugs, horrendous interface and crummy implementation we should, as a community, be able to step back, point at that game, and call it "Stinky!"

Does that mean that its impossible that somehow, somewhere, someone is having fun with this game? That some people aren't finding a level of enjoyment out of it to where they beat it mulitiple times? I imagine not. And I would never make a statement saying that no one could. However, should I talk with those people, I would hope that as part of the community, while they can certainly talk about those elements they enjoy about the game, that they wouldn't allow their enjoyment of the title to blind them to its shortcomings.... and adress them with me. (At the same time, I can also discuss the strong elements I did like with them...which, IMHO, didn't outshine the pitfalls)

So while I may hate it, and they may like it, there should be plenty of common ground for us to stand on and agree upon.

P.S. I'm STILL waiting for my D&D Game! LOL
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited January 2012
    "It's just not for you," is a bit of a red herring. It doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion over the qualities of a game. Whether the game is for me or not has no bering on my ability to analyze a game and make critical judgments about it, and it doesn't invalidate my opinion simply because other people find the game good. It's just irrelevant to the discussion.
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2012
    Rewind said:
    "It's just not for you," is a bit of a red herring. It doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion over the qualities of a game. Whether the game is for me or not has no bering on my ability to analyze a game and make critical judgments about it, and it doesn't invalidate my opinion simply because other people find the game good. It's just irrelevant to the discussion.
    Sometimes, though, it's the only good answer to somebody who enters into a conversation about a game by saying, "I want x, y, and z out of this game, and it doesn't have it," or "I hate x, y, and z in games, and this game has all of those!" It's usually by the 4th or 5th post/comment by a person who is bound and determined to tell everybody around why they don't like/don't want to play a game based on its failure to meet that person's specific and personal preferences that I hear people saying in exasperation, "look, this game obviously just isn't for you." That's probably the nicest way possible to say, "look, your opinion has been noted but obviously this game's failure to meet your personal preferences doesn't have a lot to do with its quality, please shut up about it already."
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance