If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode s06: "Game of the Year 2011"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited February 2012 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode s06: "Game of the Year 2011"

Put the kids to bed before listening to this one. A conversational review through all the big RPG topics of last year, this RPG Cast also answers all the important questions about same sex marriage in Skyrim.

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at [EMAIL="podcast@rpgamer.com"]podcast@rpgamer.com[/EMAIL]
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at [EMAIL="podcast@rpgamer.com"]podcast@rpgamer.com[/EMAIL]

Download the show: "Game of the Year 2011"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

RPG Cast Awards

[h=4]And just to keep us honest from last year:[/h][h=4]Prediction: RPG of 2011 - What game do you think will be the best in 2011[/h][h=4]Nominees[/h][h=4]Adriaan - Dragon Age II[/h][h=4]Macstorm - Dungeon Siege III[/h][h=4]Rosestorm - The Witcher 2[/h][h=4]SeventhCircle - Mass Effect 3[/h][h=4]Sabin1001 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim[/h]
[h=4]Prediction: Most Over Hyped of 2011 - What do you think won't live up the expectations in 2011[/h][h=4]Nominees[/h][h=4]Adriaan - Diablo III[/h][h=4]Macstorm - The 3DS[/h][h=4]Rosestorm - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [/h][h=4]SeventhCircle - The 3rd Birthday[/h][h=4]Sabin1001 - Star Wars: The Old Republic[/h]
Game series we'd most like to see Double Fined
Michael Apps - Shining Force
Glenn - Star Control 2
Adriaan - Too Human
Sam - Suikoden and Magical Starsign
Chris - Bribe Nintendo to bring out Earthbound 2
Alex - The rest of Falcom's Kiseki series (legend of heroes)
Winner - Star Control 2

[h=4]The Backtrack award - The best RPG from before 2011 you finally got around to playing for the first time[/h]Sam - Fallout 3/New Vegas
Chris - Grubbins on Ice
Adriaan - Cthulu Save the World
Michael - Saga Frontier 2
Alex - Persona 4
Glenn - Atelier Rorona
Winner - Saga Frontier 2
[h=4]Developer with the Best/Worst Use of GP (Budget)[/h]Adriaan - Super Giant Games with Bastion/Dead Island
Michael Apps - War in the north (worse)
Glenn - Atelier Totori (best)
Glenn - SaGa 3 DS (best)
Alex Worst - Namco Bandai - We don't need to tell people that we made some games.
Alex Best - Compile Heart - Not wasting it on making a new battle system or anything like that.
Sam - XSEED for publishing Wizardry and only giving you half the game?
Winner - Namco Bandai for having no advertising budget
[h=4]The "it sucked the first time but gave it a second shot...and it still sucked!" - Ivan Real[/h]Adriaan - Ys III - SNES
Sam - Hyperdimension Neptunia
Alex - Agarest Zero
Michael - Lord of Arcana
Chris - White Knight Chronicles 2
Winner - White Knight Chronicles 2
[h=4]Missed Out Award - The RPG you most wanted to play but didn't[/h]Sam - Tactics Ogre
Chris - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Adriaan - Xenoblade Chronicles
Glenn - Xenoblade Chronicles
Alex - Atelier Totori
Michael - Gods Eater Burst
Winner - Gods Eater Burst

[h=4]Biggest surprise of the year[/h]Alex - Xenoblade (for existing!)
Adriaan and Sam - Hunted: The Demon’s Forge (they like it!)
Chris - Ocarina of Time
Michael - Dungeon Siege III
Glenn - Bastion (Because Adriaan was right about it)
Winner - Hunted (wow...just wow)
“Year of the PC Award” - Best PC RPG, celebrating the return of the PC to relevance
Alex - Aselia
Glenn - Binding of Isaac
Michael - Avadon: The Black Fortress
Winner - Avadon
[h=4]Worst/Most Offensive Attempt at Multiplayer[/h]Sam and Chris - Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Adriaan - Torchlight (for not having multiplayer)
Michael - War in the North
Glenn - Disgaea 4 (for promising having interesting multiplayer but not)
Winner - Bugs in the North
[h=4]The Honorary Sam Marcello “Best Sex Award”[/h]Dinner with a Werewolf - Same sex love finds a home in Skyrim
[h=4]Story of the Year[/h]Adriaan - Radiant Historia
Sam - Atelier Totori
Glenn - The Witcher 2
Michael - Tactics Ogre
Chris - Deus Ex
Alex - Xenoblade
Winner - Xenoblade
[h=4]Biggest Bonehead Move - What was the dumbest thing this year either in an RPG or from the industry or press[/h]Nominees
Michael - Buggy releases (Hunted, War in the North, Skyrim PS3)
Alex - Also SEGA and VC3. I'm not bitter. Michael - Sega? do something bad? NEVER!
Chris - EA for owning Bioware
Adriaan - Putting every release in Q4 2011 and them moving all of them to 2012.
Glenn - Releasing Dragon Age 2 so fast
Sam - Kitase talking about how clothing damage in 3rd birthday is “realistic”
Winner - 3rd Birthday
[h=4]The "Everyone Else is Wrong" award - the RPG that you can't believe people like or dislike (also Most Reviewed Game in hopes you'd believe us and buy it)[/h]Nominees
Michael - Tactics Ogre, because I don’t understand the people who think the PS1 version is better
Glenn - Torchlight (saying it’s as good as Diablo 2)
Alex - Gods Eater Burst
Adriaan -Hunted: The Demon Forge (buy it for $10)
Sam - Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (The harvest moon fans insist it’s good, they must not be familiar with the difference between hd graphics and good gameplay)
Winner - Trails in the Sky (I don’t know how this happened)
[h=4]Most Disappointing Game[/h]Nominees
Michael - Ar Tonelico 3
Adriaan - Dead Island
Glenn - Dragon Age 2 and Torchlight and Trails in the Sky
Alex - White Knight Chronicles 2
Sam - Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Chris - Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
Winner - Dragon Age 2 and Torchlight and Trails in the Sky and Ar Tonelico 3 and Dead Island and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny and White Knight Chronicles 2 and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
[h=4]Best Overall RPG[/h]Nominees
Michael - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Glenn - Bastion
Adriaan - Bastion and Skyrim (Skyrim had more HLA than Oblivion)
Chris - Skyrim
Sam - Atelier Totori
Alex - Xenoblade
Winner - Xenoblade
[h=4]Prediction: RPG of 2012 - What game do you think will be the best in 2012[/h]Nominees
Chris - Diablo III
Adriaan - Mass Effect 3
Sam - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Michael - Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 3
Alex - The Last Story
Glenn - Mass Effect 3
Winner - Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 3
[h=4]Prediction: Most Over Hyped of 2012 - What do you think won't live up the expectations in 2012[/h]Nominees
Glenn - Grand Knights History
Adriaan - Diablo III
Alex - Mass Effect 3
Sam - Mass Effect 3
Chris - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Michael - Pandora’s Tower

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2012
    3 hours and 40 mins up in this *****.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Since we talked so much about Radiant Historia and the fact that it's hard to find came up, I thought I'd mention that Atlus has just announced that they're doing a second print run of the game. So if you haven't bought it yet, more copies should be available in March. Make sure you get it this time, because I'm sure they'll sell fast.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I have a giant shoe in my mouth after this, seeing as how skyrim was my game of the year, with the witcher 2 as a close second. Also Glenn, its a PC RPG so of course I played it
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    omegabyte said:
    Since we talked so much about Radiant Historia and the fact that it's hard to find came up, I thought I'd mention that Atlus has just announced that they're doing a second print run of the game. So if you haven't bought it yet, more copies should be available in March. Make sure you get it this time, because I'm sure they'll sell fast.
    Can you pre-order a second print of something? I don't want to miss this. If it's not possible, it should be.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2012
    Firemyst said:
    Can you pre-order a second print of something? I don't want to miss this. If it's not possible, it should be.
    Order it now, it ships in March.
    http://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Historia-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004CVWETI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329006819&sr=8-1
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I will throw my hat into the ring, and say Mass Effect 3 for rpg of 2012 and Diablo 3 for most over hyped
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • KisakiProjectKisakiProject Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I'm gonna throw it out there that RPGcast needs more snarky Glenn Wilson.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    KisakiProject said:
    I'm gonna throw it out there that RPGcast needs more snarky Glenn Wilson.
    I agree! Except when I have to yell "Shut up, Glenn!" when he flusters me. :P