If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Wasteland 2

DravDrav A Serious ManFull Members
edited September 2014 in Role Playing Games
For years now Brian Fargo has been saying that he's going to make a spiritual successor to Wasteland. No one actually believes him, partly because he's been saying this going on 9 years now, and partly because his "spiritual successor" to the Bard's Tale (probably the most famous first-person dungeon crawlers next to Wizardry and Might & Magic) ended up being an action adventure game. So guilty until proven innocent and all that, but it sounds like InXile does actually have some sort of solid plan for Wasteland 2. After Tim Schafer's Kickstarter thing ended up being a success, Fargo mentioned on his twitter that he might consider trying the same thing, and then very quickly followed it up by saying that he was more than half-serious about it:
He doesn't know if it'd be straight up called Wasteland 2, but he repeatedly emphasized that, despite having thought about it for only 48 hours, it wouldn't be a crazy genre change up. Wasteland, whatever its called, will be "100% faithful to its roots." This means a Wasteland game that "would be focusing on top-down, probably isometric, party based, skill based -- where if you'd just finished playing Wasteland and moved onto this you'd feel comfortable."
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106896-preliminary-work-has-begun-on-a-wasteland-reboot.html

Now he claims that he's hired two developers who worked on the original Wasteland to work on a sequel: Michael Stakepole and Alan Pavlish. So yeah, sounds pretty serious.

I played through Wasteland a few years ago and it was a lot of fun despite ageing worse than pretty much any other 80s CRPG I've played. Half the game's text had to be put in the manual due to storage issues (every so often you see a message telling you to turn to "paragraph 5" or whatever), and unless you have an undying love for navigating menus you pretty much have to set up command macros for using skills on things*. It's definitely something to look forward to though, especially if they're going to keep the full-party creation from the original. It's been way, way to long since anyone's made a game that let you do that.

*For example, if you want to use "Picklock" on something, you first press "U' for "Use", then select a character, then press "S" for "Skill", then actually select the "Picklock" skill (might might require you to manual scroll down the list of skills until you find it), then select the direction you want to use it. And people think Fallout has an awkward interface.

Comments

• SuikSuik Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I am going to be starting this game soon. Let me know if you guys want to join!
    I beat Persona 1 and 2. Please help me justify the countless hours lost.
    This is apart of my Personaholics Anonymous program.

Youtube: ConseptGamer
    Twitter: ConseptGamer
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I'll be playing it as soon as my copy arrives. I'm not entirely sure whether I have to wait for the actual boxed version I ordered or if everyone gets a Steam key on release. Since I haven't received any emails about it I assume it's the former.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I'll be diving in Friday. The beta's already on the hard drive (thanks Nim!) so hopefully it updates while I'm at work and I can start as soon as I get home. Spent some time perusing the manual last weekend in preparation, there's some great stuff in there and it's got me excited to get rolling.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited September 2014
    The customization can be a bit daunting. However, I've figured I would just do what sounds best and if it doesn't work.. start over x].

• daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited September 2014
    I backed W2 on Kickstarter, but I'm most likely going to hold off on playing it for awhile. There's likely to be a lot of patches after release and apparently inXile is still considering adding things like perks/traits and special attacks (e.g., aimed shot)... From what I hear, combat is still pretty bare bones and the possibility of them adding new tactical options makes me want to wait. I actually never played Wasteland 1 but it's in my GOG account so I'd like to play that first so I can get the references, which I hear are plentiful. Also, Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut is releasing on the 18th and I'm dying to play that. Moreover, the new patch for Divinity: Original Sin adding 2 new companions was just released, which makes me want to start a new game (I took a break after finding that my party had become unstoppable killing machines but I believe they've made new balance adjustments as well).

Nice having lots of RPGs I'm really excited about for a change.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I failed my reading comprehension check; my physical copy also came with two digital copies, so I could have been playing this all weekend. FFFFFFF
    edited September 2014
    I failed my reading comprehension check; my physical copy also came with two digital copies, so I could have been playing this all weekend. FFFFFFF

Not to rub it in.. but you have been missing out.

Okay okay maybe it was to rub it in =D

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited September 2014
    So I've been having a fantastic time with this so far. Right now I'm running around the Rail Nomad's spot just to give folks a vague idea where I'm at before I dump stuff behind spoilers.
    Spoiler:
    So after hitting up the radio tower I went with saving the Ag Center over Highpool. Added Rose to my party there and she's been a fantastic addition, especially after I got ahold of a Bullpup sniper rifle for her. Went back to the Citadel to gear up and look around and totally pushed the button on the nuke in the museum for my first game over. Went to the prison area and snuck in the back way to visit Red. I'm a sadistic jerk and got way to much joy from using Animal Whisperer to lure goats across the minefield and trigger them before I went through. Back to the Citadel again I pulled that ranger out of jail and went to his RV to grab rad suits before hauling him back to the clink despite my promise to let him go. Now that I have rad suits I decided to hit up the Rail Nomads first before going back to the prison and trying to get to the other side of it and through the radiation to that town whose name I forget. I explored the entire first section of the Rail Nomads spot and promised dude I'd eradicate his rivals which I started doing last night before I left off.

I'm really liking everything about this, the writing, the combat, the exploration, all of it.

Also here's a easter egg I found out about the other day. If you go into your game files like so My Games>Wasteland2>Drive1 you'll see a file called Diskette which you can open to see this
    Spoiler:
    |u* i0
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass