If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sakaguchi Directs English Trailer for The Last Story

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited February 2012 in Latest Updates
While certain mean old European RPGamer staff members are already enjoying The Last Story, the rest of us must be content with watching trailers like this one. Say "konnichi wa" to Sakaguchi and enjoy.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Buahahaha :D
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2012
    ARPG with a cover system, sniping via crossbow, and sections that seem like they're more like from some action game than from a RPG? I think we've struck gold here.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Oh, it looks freaking amazing...I'm glad I held out hope.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I vastly prefer turn-based battle systems to action systems. I'll still get this, of course. But I hope Sakaguchi returns to turn-based.
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    ...sections that seem like they're more like from some action game than from a RPG?
    Is that really a good thing? I'm not so sure.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2012
    It would be good if the game actually required twitch-skills to beat, but early reviews indicate that it does not.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited February 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    It would be good if the game actually required twitch-skills to beat, but early reviews indicate that it does not.
    ...Umm... you do know that not every RPGamer has "twitch-skills," right? I for one wouldn't be able to handle an RPG that actually required technical shooting skills to beat; that's why I play RPGs and not shooters.
    edited February 2012
    Man have you brought that argument to the wrong person.

But even if we were to assume that these games needed to accommodate for ham-handed JRPG fans, that's no excuse to not offer a challenge for people who do play action games. The Mass Effect games, for example, have 4 different difficulty levels, which has been the done thing in the West since like... Doom.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I'm not saying anything against difficulty-levels; I more mean that the default should be accommodating. You're right that most JRPGs don't take difficulty options into consideration, but I don't consider that a damning factor and more of a nit-pick.
    edited February 2012
    It's not a nitpick when it's the difference between enjoying the game and not. I'm certainly not alone in getting relatively little out of games that don't pose a challenge. Even if I was though, my only real concern is how much I will enjoy the game, so...
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited February 2012
    2:55

youuuu...shall not pass!
    sup?
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    But even if we were to assume that these games needed to accommodate for ham-handed JRPG fans...
    "These games", meaning JRPGs?

I don't see anything wrong with assuming that JRPGs should be, above all, accomodating to JRPG fans. :)
  • Holy_DragoonHoly_Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    It's not a nitpick when it's the difference between enjoying the game and not. I'm certainly not alone in getting relatively little out of games that don't pose a challenge. Even if I was though, my only real concern is how much I will enjoy the game, so...
    It is possible to play challenging game without requiring twitch skills in order to do so. Perhaps an open mind is in order?
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]"To be forgotten is worse than death."[/CENTER]
    edited February 2012
    Well, it's a shooter/action game, so I'm guessing it's not very strategic either. The reviews I read just mentioned it was "easy", so for whatever skillset this game requires it doesn't require much of it.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I was just saying I hope the next FF will return to the medieval European setting, but with how this looks I have no need to worry about FFXV's setting.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    Well, it's a shooter/action game, so I'm guessing it's not very strategic either. The reviews I read just mentioned it was "easy", so for whatever skillset this game requires it doesn't require much of it.
    From what I've played so far, the shooting part doesn't really involve much actual shooting (doesn't deal much damage with the default arrows anyway - may be different with others) but is more for the strategic stuff such as telling allies to use the enviroment etc. That said it's not been especially challenging so far, although I'm still at very parts of the game so not fair to me to judge that part yet (and challenge isn't generally high on priorities for me personally).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    ....soooooooo.... don't play it if it does not look like it will appeal to you........... .... ........ ... ........ ... ..... .... ....... ......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    from what I hear it's part valkyria chronicles and part ARPG but I need to play it to be sure
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,