If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Diablo III Set to Launch on May 15, 2012

risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title -RPGamer Staff
edited March 2012 in Latest Updates
After years of waiting, Blizzard is finally ready to unleash the forces of the Burning Hells this May. Let the click fest begin.

-Link

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Wow, totally forgot about this game! I'll pick it up eventually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    Feels weird knowing that I already "bought" this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited March 2012
    This just isn't the year for newcomer Euro-RPGs.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Hell, It's about time :)

Can't wait!
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    I mentioned it on the Runic forums in passing, but is this ever a bad release timing for me. Comes out right after I get back from a cruise and go straight into E3 madness XD
    It also sounds like some other games I'll be considerably more interested in may release around the same time.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    The moment this was announced I walked into my boss' office and asked for a week off starting that tuesday. It went through, and I now have about 2 months left to enjoy whatever else there is to do in this world before the game comes out.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • VampiricDragonVampiricDragon Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2012
    never played diablo.........not really that interested to try either
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    I hate to say it, but I'm much more interested in Torchlight II than I am in this. Blizzard waited too blasted long to release this. I might get it when it's below $60 but right now, there's more important things on my mind. I'm much more interested in The Last Story and Xenoblade right now to care about Diablo III. Don't get me wrong, I was all set to pick this up about two years ago, but that was two years ago. Now, it just looks aged and it might look better when I'm finished with ME 3, but I doubt it.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Here's to hoping nothing important is due that day in school, because if I can, I'm skippin that day.

Looking forward to being a Witch Doctor :)
  • blitzer98blitzer98 Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    My prediction: another delay. But if I`m worong i look foward to buying this game when its $20!!
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    Unless TL2 is a giant's head and shoulders above TL1, it won't come anywhere near D3, unless you're looking for an easier game that can be modded. Sure, they took their sweet time getting to this release date, but it's not like it's any different from any other Blizzard release. Also, it's not like they were literally sitting around with the gold version waiting to release it. I'd rather have a polished final version than some half-assed attempt that requires massive reworks, a la FFXIV.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited March 2012
    reionpremente said:
    I hate to say it, but I'm much more interested in Torchlight II than I am in this. Blizzard waited too blasted long to release this. I might get it when it's below $60 but right now, there's more important things on my mind. I'm much more interested in The Last Story and Xenoblade right now to care about Diablo III. Don't get me wrong, I was all set to pick this up about two years ago, but that was two years ago. Now, it just looks aged and it might look better when I'm finished with ME 3, but I doubt it.
    Have fun. When I last played the beta, the Witch Doctor was probably the most overpowered class, which should make it a good starting class.

Looks like they took the beta down now. So I guess I'll wait for it to fall to $30 or so.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Just hook it to my veins!!
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Witch Doctor overpowered! What?! They've been developing it for 15 years and they're gonna release it with balance issues? Unfreakingforgivable! They better have fixed that nonsense.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Can't wait to run around punching and kicking enemies left and right.
    edited March 2012
    I admit it has been a couple of months since I last played, so it's possible they rebalanced it. It may also diminish at higher levels, but it definitely had advantages early on.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Uh yeah, the WD is not overpowered at all - in fact, at this point the game is a lot more balanced (and it pretty much comes down to how you play it instead).
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    are we sure they said 2012?
    Good catch. Just another one of ActiBliz's cruel, cruel joke.
    watcher said:
    I admit it has been a couple of months since I last played, so it's possible they rebalanced it. It may also diminish at higher levels, but it definitely had advantages early on.
    Is it because the pets were tough enough to be a real threat to bosses, or is it his other spells?

So do they still have skill synergy in this one? It'd be quite interesting if runes play into skill synergy as well.
    edited March 2012
    Pets could keep the boss busy, while you use debilitating spells on it to help them kill it faster. "Mana" pools go a long way for all classes compared to the prior games, though.

There's no skill trees or skill levels. All stats are automatically upgraded each level. (Thus all characters of the same class and level have the same base stats and skills.) At certain levels you gain access to specific skills. Some passive skills increase active powers like in the original release of D2, but there's nothing I saw that resembles the synergies of the late patches. Runes are used to augment skills in various ways. You're better off looking at the D3 website for details on that. Customization is limited to choosing which skills you are currently using, which can be changed as much as you want at save points, what runes you apply to skills and, as always, equipment.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    I've never been a huge fan of the 'action rpg' subgenre. Even Torchlight didn't keep my attention for all that long. However, I love Blizzard's work. They make things that I don't normally like quite enjoyable. So, I am looking forward to what they have in store for Diablo 3. WOOT!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited March 2012
    The difference between Diablo and practically ever other top-down hack n' slash ever made is that Blizzard is the only developer that puts in the sort of time and effort necessary to properly balance these things. I mean, Torchlight was churned out in, what, 9 months or something? No wonder it was so Moo.

Still really, really not keen on supporting this game's online-only single player, but I suspect I'll end up caving eventually. It does look pretty good.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I think that's what I'm hoping for. I mean, their attention to detail really makes these games work.

I'm not a huge fan of the forced online deal. We get it with Starcraft 2 (Yeah, you can technically play the SP stuff offline if you've logged in the last 30 days, but I've found that it rarely works out that way. But, if I'm online, it works fine.) The game has been so good though, I've gotten past it. Mind you, I don't buy any non-Blizzard game that forces online SP.