If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Latest Final Fantasy XIII-2 DLC Update

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited March 2012 in Latest Updates
The most recent piece of Final Fantasy XIII-2 DLC contains a face that will be familiar to those who played the first game. In addition, there's some news that may be of interest to Lightning fans.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    After the Sazh DLC, they ain't getting any more money from me. That and the ending, what the hell Square? Plus the fact that
    Spoiler:
    the only fights in the arena are DLC fights. Why even make it a place if that's the case?
  • XR2XR2 Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Let me know when they actually release a complete version of the game.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Like all this stuff is any different from just about any other companies DLC
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    XR2 said:
    Let me know when they actually release a complete version of the game.
    They did, on January 31st
  • CoarseDragonCoarseDragon Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    This is interesting DLC as a new addition to the team is possible.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    They kind of did. The ending was a huge letdown to me.
  • KingHadesKingHades New Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    I'm happy to see Jihl again, but disappointed it's solely as a Coliseum opponent. In FF-XIII, I felt like just when the story was about to reveal her more fully as an antagonist, she was casually tossed out of the game. I'll admit that it didn't hurt that she was frackin' gorgeous, but I will always feel like it must have taken Square Enix serious effort to come up with such a boneheaded way to waste a good antagonist/ token hottie.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Mixed feelings...on one hand, how awesome would it be to have Jihl in my party...

...on the other hand, when would I need her? I maxed out the game like a month ago...even got all of the tameable monsters maxed out; if I found something else to do, it would probably be a bug.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Wheels said:
    They did if they plan on releasing a third game. If they are just going to augment this ending with DLC, then I don't see how anyone could spin that (pun!) as being complete.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
    edited March 2012
    Zaku77 said:
    They did if they plan on releasing a third game. If they are just going to augment this ending with DLC, then I don't see how anyone could spin that (pun!) as being complete.
    Mass Effect 2 did it with Arrival, Dragon Age did that with Witch Hunt. I'm sure there are other games that have done it as well.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

edited March 2012
    I don't see other companies doing the same thing having any bearing on whether it's a complete product or not. In the case of Mass Effect, there is a Mass Effect 3, so complaints about the ending of the middle game don't really matter. If there is a FFXIII-3 then I won't be complaining about this ones ending, as they will have followed it up. Aren't the endings of the second movie/game in a trilogy always cliffhangers? (STAR WARS) I can't speak for Dragon Age, however. It's just my opinion that unless there is going to be a follow up game to finish off the story, the game should come with its ending on the damn disc.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

• MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited March 2012
    I typically don't really dig nomura's designs, but colonel cleavage is ridiculously hot. :yes:
    sup?
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    Wheels said:
    Why you trolling? :)

In all seriousness, the only DLC I'm interested in is one that provides an ending that isn't a slap in the face. Anything that leaves me feeling dead inside afterwards, especially something that was good up until the last 10 minutes, does not make for a good experience. This isn't the way that most people feel games should end, and I can't help but feel that this empty ending was just a way to make us buy a future expansion-sized DLC.
    edited March 2012
    CofLSilk said:

In all seriousness, the only DLC I'm interested in is one that provides an ending that isn't a slap in the face. Anything that leaves me feeling dead inside afterwards, especially something that was good up until the last 10 minutes, does not make for a good experience. This isn't the way that most people feel games should end, and I can't help but feel that this empty ending was just a way to make us buy a future expansion-sized DLC.
    Which one the game has at least 6 endings.

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2012
    CofLSilk said:

Still better than Mass Effect 3's ending~
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
    edited March 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Which one the game has at least 6 endings.
    The paradox endings are fun what-ifs, they certainly don't count as an ENDING. They're like the wrong turns in Radiant Historia. I very much enjoyed them, but they don't really compare to the actual ending, or lack thereof, of the game.

edited March 2012
    It's tough for me to judge the ending of XIII-2...on one hand, BioWare is pulling the same crap with ME3...even worse, actually, considering how little effort they put into it...but still, I had SUCH a great time playing XIII-2 that any excuse to lengthen the game is a welcome one in my eyes.

No one was more surprised than me that I enjoyed it so thoroughly...getting a chance to add more content to the game will be fun. I just hope that we get some actual story extension, and not just side-missions and coliseum battles. They ARE cool...it's just that after maxing out, I'm ready for something new.

Gave in and bought this last night...and let me tell you, for a while there, I was overwhelmed. Jihl was probably one of the toughest bosses I have fought in any of the series games up to that point. Eventually I figured out the trick to beating her, but I couldn't even count my losses on two hands before finally I beat her...0 stars, but I got the recruitment drop, at least.

...now I just hope there is some really robust DLC coming where I can actually utilize her...
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    CofLSilk said:
    I'm not. Cliffhanger/incomplete endings to not an incomplete game make. You're welcome to be annoyed by it, but calling a game incomplete because the story doesn't have a definitive ending is absurd.
    edited March 2012
    Wheels said:
    I'm not. Cliffhanger/incomplete endings to not an incomplete game make. You're welcome to be annoyed by it, but calling a game incomplete because the story doesn't have a definitive ending is absurd.
    Also don't forget that Square did get teh web domain for FFXIII-3 at some point.

http://n4g.com/news/841831/final-fantasy-xiii-3-square-enix-planning-ahead

• CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Also don't forget that Square did get teh web domain for FFXIII-3 at some point.
    I had heard that this was the action of SE NA, and was done without the knowledge of JP headquarters as a way to protect SE IP.

Sure, you can say that XIII-2 is a complete game. We played through however many hours of story and reached a conclusion. That conclusion sucked. We had a little discussion about this in IRC a while ago. In some cases, the ultimate fall of the hero is acceptable. You empathize with them, even. Take Crisis Core, for example. It had a bleak ending, but we all knew it was coming and knew that Zack's sacrifice wouldn't be meaningless. Final Fantasy as a series certainly has its set of downer endings/plot twists. VII, VIII, X, for example. Maybe it's just because I like happy endings, but I can only recall a few games, movies, and books that have made me feel like the end wasn't worth the journey. And that's the worst part of XIII-2; I thoroughly enjoyed the game. What was presented to me at the end, however, left me wondering what the hell I had just spent all that time doing.

Antagonists are just not supposed to win, even if the hero dies. They Live, Man on Fire, Red Dead Redemption, FFX, countless other journeys...none of them gave us a conclusion where the hero's experience was worthless. There are certainly people who eat up ultimately futile struggle plots, but I'd suspect that the vast majority of us aren't.

I went in to FFXIII-2 excited about the prospect of more scenarios and battles to come as DLC. There's only one thing I want to see now, and it's certainly not an unremarkable, forgettable arena battle.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    King Jowy XXII said:
    ...now I just hope there is some really robust DLC coming where I can actually utilize her...
    This pretty much sums up my issue with these character DLCs. I already got my platinum, so SE is essentially selling me a $3 boss fight. Sure, I *could* farm the materials to level her, whatever her role is, but what would I do with her once I did that?

If these characters were a bit more fleshed out or something instead of glorified monsters, and I could New Game + them in from the beginning, that would make me a tad happier.
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    http://andriasang.com/con0cs/ffxiii2_dlc/

Ultros and Chupon, oh yeah.
    edited March 2012
    I think the N7 armor is a riot

edited March 2012
    N7 armor? OH LULZ! XD
    User Database Check
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    N7 armor? OH LULZ! XD
    It goes great with the Ezio skin too!
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited March 2012
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    This pretty much sums up my issue with these character DLCs. I already got my platinum, so SE is essentially selling me a $3 boss fight. Sure, I *could* farm the materials to level her, whatever her role is, but what would I do with her once I did that?

If these characters were a bit more fleshed out or something instead of glorified monsters, and I could New Game + them in from the beginning, that would make me a tad happier.
    I was actually sitting with some spare points (yes, I have the 360...the wife plays on PS3 :P) and thought "What the heck...why not?" So I downloaded it along with some of the extra weapons just for good measure...kind of like a squirrel storing food for a winter that may or may not be coming...and for a $3 boss battle, I actually had a blast. I don't mind saying that Jihl was one of the trickiest fights I have played in awhile, which made for a fun time. It was probably on my fifth attempt or so that I actually beat her.

I think that this is a case of me trying to squeeze every drop out of the FFXIII-2 battle system that I can. I've said it before on numerous threads on here, but I have enjoyed this game far, far more than I ever thought I would. Something about it hits me just right, I guess.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited March 2012
    I don't really get this DLC stuff. Back in the days I bought a game like Final Fantasy VI and had hundreds of secrets and optional dungeons included. Now all RPGs are almost completely linear and to get something optional you need to pay additionally. Just makes me feel scamed.
    edited March 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    I don't really get this DLC stuff. Back in the days I bought a game like Final Fantasy VI and had hundreds of secrets and optional dungeons included. Now all RPGs are almost completely linear and to get something optional you need to pay additionally. Just makes me feel scamed.
    It's how the companies are making money any more. I doubt they are making much actual money from the sale of the games but more so from the sale of DLC. Some I honestly think are worth it such as the stuff for the Dynasty Warrior games.

• sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited March 2012
    Can't wait for the Ultros pack!
    edited March 2012
    sabin1001 said:
    Can't wait for the Ultros pack!
    I suddenly want to see a comment from Noel and Serah similar to what Celes and Locke said at the opera house.
    User Database Check