If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Grand Knights History Is History

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited May 2012 in Latest Updates
Development issues have halted XSEED's localization of Grand Knights History. Unfortunately, gamers will not be able to get around to playing this one in English.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    that's a shame, but I guess I seen it coming.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    This sucks. Apparently Rising Star is still bringing it out in Europe, though. If anyone wants it, it could easily be imported. (That's what I'll be doing! :3)
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    I think it's more likely to be that Rising Star hasn't confirmed a cancellation on their end, nothing's been said from them either way since this news broke (it also doesn't appear on their list of games) so I wouldn't hold out much hope on that.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I had a sad hunch this was coming. Vanillaware's not in great shape. Ignition was supposed to be fronting development costs for Dragon's Crown, but I suspect they didn't hold through on their end considering that Atlus had to rescue it. It's not surprising that other titles got caught in the crossfire.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2012
    Zaku77 said:
    This sucks. Apparently Rising Star is still bringing it out in Europe, though. If anyone wants it, it could easily be imported. (That's what I'll be doing! :3)
    Yeah, not happening. The developer is apparently the issue here, so Rising Star's in the same boat as XSEED.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    How disappointing... That just leaves Gungnir and Growlanser as PSP games I'm looking forward to.

Unless we're going to get something else that I haven't heard about yet.
    edited May 2012
    There's always hope that Atlus USA will bring over Persona 2 EP. They are doing Gungnir and Growlanser, so why not do the PSP game that more people actually want.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    There's also Unchained Blades (though that's digital only)
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Such a shame, but I'll forgive them if we get Dragon's Crown.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Ugh, very disappointing. I was really looking forward to this one.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Macstorm said:
    Yeah, not happening. The developer is apparently the issue here, so Rising Star's in the same boat as XSEED.
    Also, Rising Star was supposed to be using XSeeds translation. So. There's also that.
  • ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    That's a shame. I would much rather have had Grand Knights History than Dragon's Crown :(
    Get your Portable ID!
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I would have bought it, but honestly neither game looks that exciting to me. Vanillaware focuses on graphics. Their gameplay is not great.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Atlus! We need your help again!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    You have all broke my hopes and dreams lol. I supposed this just isn't happening then.

Sad-face
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
    edited May 2012
    Oyashiro said:
    Atlus! We need your help again!
    Too bad Atlus can't help here.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Macstorm said:

B-B-But...
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Basically Vanillaware can only really work on one game, mostly cause Ignition ****ED them over royally on the other game they have to divert resourses.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Basically Vanillaware can only really work on one game, mostly cause Ignition ****ED them over royally on the other game they have to divert resourses.
    Basically.

Yeah, Ignition may have peed in XSEED's cereal a few times, but it's nothing compared to what they've done to Vanillaware it seems. At least Ignition's apparent dissolution means they're not likely to screw over anyone else, so there's blessing in that.

[QUOTE=Macstorm]Too bad Atlus can't help here.

Pretty much. They JUST rescued Dragon Crown, and have plenty of other projects on their plate (P4 Arena, P4 Golden, Gungnir, Growlanser, possibly P2: EP), so I imagine it's a case of there only being so much money to go around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I don't understand how a genius company like VanillaWare can have to much troubles. X_X

Also I disagree that they are only good at graphics. While they are particularly amazing at graphics, they also are very good in gameplay ideas. All their games had very unique gameplay that you've never seen before in that form and still was easily accessible.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    Even the smartest companies can make mistakes. Think of it this way:
    You sit next to the same kid every day for lunch. The first few days you're wary of him. Then you get to know each other. A few months later, he suddenly kicks your *** and takes your lunch money. You're not suddenly stupid because you took a whoopin. You just trusted the wrong person.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Paws said:
    You sit next to the same kid every day for lunch. The first few days you're wary of him. Then you get to know each other. A few months later, he suddenly kicks your *** and takes your lunch money. You're not suddenly stupid because you took a whoopin. You just trusted the wrong person.
    Odd analogy there Paws.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Paws said:
    Yep, I would definitely say Ignition was the wrong person. :laugh:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • HeideggerHeidegger New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    This is awful! I was much more excited for this game than I am for Dragon's Crown. Regardless, I hope Vanillaware are able to weather their troubles alright.
  • CVBCVB New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    This is sad, but there's no excuse for it nowadays. I guess Vanillaware hasn't heard of Kickstarter. All they have to do is throw in a few incentives and fans will easily fund a localization and then some.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    There are other resources apart from money that has to be taken into account for these things, unfortunately it seems Vanillaware doesn't have the staff at the moment to be working on both games. And simply using the money to hire new people so they can do it is generally a very poor investment (for a start, you have to devote further time/costs bringing them up to speed on everything before you can even begin).
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • CVBCVB New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Severin Mira said:
    There are other resources apart from money that has to be taken into account for these things, unfortunately it seems Vanillaware doesn't have the staff at the moment to be working on both games. And simply using the money to hire new people so they can do it is generally a very poor investment (for a start, you have to devote further time/costs bringing them up to speed on everything before you can even begin).

I understand your point, but I feel like this is about money as well. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just delay it a couple of months until staff resources were available and then release it, rather than outright axing the project?
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    We will probably never know all the details behind why the project was cancelled. Even if Vanillaware were able to do its work after a few months, would XSEED have the financial and staff resources to finish the project at that point? XSEED is a very small company and may have already dedicated its resources to other projects after GKH was scheduled to release. When you're a small localizer, you don't always have a lot of wiggle room to handle something like a project that can't be completed on schedule due to problems beyond your control.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance