If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Elder Scrolls Online Announced

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited May 2012 in Latest Updates
There's no need to check the calendar. We can confirm that it's not April 1. After many years of rumor, The Elder Scrolls Online has actually been announced.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Well, ****.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2012
    Watch it be P2P, and the world ending before it actually comes out.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    Both of those things are distinct possibilities.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Whew! For a second there, I thought this would never be announced and I would lose all of those bets I made.
  • The Gentleman LoserThe Gentleman Loser New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I guess more Elder Scroll is a good thing, but MMO's are just blech
    edited May 2012
    Seeing as how the entire continent will be playable, you gotta admit there is some temptation to play just to visit places like Summerset and Elsweyr.
  • The Gentleman LoserThe Gentleman Loser New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Oh for sure, the idea the entire world is accessible is awesome. I am just tired of the MMO grind.
  • HeideggerHeidegger New Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    It's worth mentioning that the game is being developed by Zenimax Online, NOT Bethesda.
    edited May 2012
    Heidegger said:
    It's worth mentioning that the game is being developed by Zenimax Online, NOT Bethesda.
    This is true, I'll edit the article for more clarity.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Now this is exciting news... lets hope they bring some form of novelty to the MMO grind.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Heidegger said:
    Good. If Bethesda was developing it, I'd expect the launch to crash the entire Internet.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Also not an MMO person myself. However, I do like that it is being developed as a 3rd person game. I hope that's indicative of a new direction for Elder Scrolls games. Combat would be so much better that way.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    any news on what platform to expect? any chance of seeing this on console?
    Now Playing: Final Fantasy 13-2, Xenosaga 2, Wild Arms 2, Zelda Twilight Princess
    edited May 2012
    AverageJoe said:
    any news on what platform to expect? any chance of seeing this on console?
    PC and Mac.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    I like the idea on some level, though I can't help but feel that the game will likely fall short with respect to scale.

Is the goal to have a place like Morrowind equal the scale of the Morrowind from the game? I think of MMOs like the original EQ.. and that was a pretty large game. It had starting cities for the races, separate ones with separate trainers, etc.

Elder Scrolls as a "place" is purportedly larger. We "know" the imperials have several cities from Oblivion, we know the locations of Morrowind (and we didn't even see more than the island mostly), and Daggerfall was effectively larger than Great Britain as I recall. Point being, it clocks in at a lot more than a single city per race. We also have established lore about places like Summerset Isle, The major cities of Daggerfall, Hammerfell, Skyrim... This is to say nothing of planes of oblivion, other continents, and so on.

There's an incredibly amount of ground for them to cover, and people will be disappointed if they don't. Seems like this will be a hard game to deliver on or please fans with.
    edited May 2012
    The game is set a full millenia before Skyrim, so they can actually skip a lot of lore and very little to nothing is known of any continent outside Tamriel (not in any of the games I played anyway). I don't think it will be that big an issue.

The only thing that really matters is how the game will play. If it's typical Elder Scrolls and online, great; someone mentioned third person, so if it's just another EQ rip-off, yuck!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Someone leaked the GI screenshots. It looks like another generic cartoony MMO. And yeah, it's not even first person.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Do not want.

Give me Elder Scrolls VI please.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Savorien said:
    Do not want.

Agreed.

I'm thankful they're not messing around with established lore, but yeah, this is a waste of everyone's time.

And... Am I the only one who expected a Fallout MMO from Zenimax Online, what with all the drama they went through with Interplay? Not that I'd play that either, but I was expecting that first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited May 2012
    Someone leaked the GI screenshots. It looks like another generic cartoony MMO. And yeah, it's not even first person.
    Wow. No kidding. Looks kind of like Fable.

Anyone else who wants to see them...well, I didn't find a particularly good site for them, so here's a Google image search that catches the lot on one page:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=castle+images&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Sx2kT4-yG8n16AGvlfm6CQ&ved=0CHQQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=898#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=elder+scrolls+online+screenshots&oq=elder+scrolls+online+screenshots&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.12...1372.1372.0.2326.1.1.0.0.0.0.465.465.4-1.1.0...0.0.VgI53br-PD8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5de771d4d27ae7c8&biw=1920&bih=898
    Or at least a semi-sequel game like New Vegas. I'm rooting for Blackmarsh. Too bad it's very unlikely Obsidian will work with Bethesda ever again.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I'm cool. I think I'm pretty much done with MMORPGs. I'll bet this will be good for a lot of players, but after reading an in depth GI article (literally like nine pages) this just sounds like another humdrum MMO... it will be cool to see Morrowind with better visuals, but that novelty will wear off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    So the magazine that it's printing in is Gameinformer.

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Yep, just got it yesterday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2012
    There's a thread on GAF that details a lot of the specifics of it. (I'm too lazy to look it up, should be obvious and on the main forums last I checked). After reading through that, and seeing pics, not impressed. But again, I'm not an MMO person anymore so that might flavor my perception.
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to ZeniMax Online!

We create world-class online games at our headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland, including the recently announced The Elder Scrolls Online.

ZeniMax Online is part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes our publishing partner Bethesda, Bethesda Game Studios, id software, and Arkane Studios.

Pulled that from the Zenimax website. So although "Zenimax Online" is making it I strongly believe and it does indeed look like Bethesda is making it based on that information

• JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Welcome to ZeniMax Online!

We create world-class online games at our headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland, including the recently announced The Elder Scrolls Online.

ZeniMax Online is part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes our publishing partner Bethesda, Bethesda Game Studios, id software, and Arkane Studios.

Pulled that from the Zenimax website. So although "Zenimax Online" is making it I strongly believe and it does indeed look like Bethesda is making it based on that information

Separate developer. Bethesda Game Studios has made the proper games. ZeniMax Online is its own team with some old DAoC people I think. The engine they licensed for the game is the "hero" one from SW:TOR as I understand it. It's third-person, has buttons with cooldown timers, three-faction PvP, and uses a fixed class system (no "make-your-own" like you can do in the regular games). The whole world won't be available at launch. The example I recall is Windhelm might be open at launch, but Winterhold won't be.
    edited May 2012
    Just caused it's a "seperate" company it's still in the same umbrella of companies so that means idea's and probably help develop the game. That usually happens in cases like this

• SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    which includes our publishing partner Bethesda
    They may share some talent throughout the development, but probably only in the consultation capacity. It's pretty clear that Bethesda isn't developing this one. If they were, it would make sense from a marketing standpoint to immediately point out their involvement in the development because Bethesda is a much bigger name than Zenimax Online.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Well I guess that answers how closely Zenimax worked with Bethesda to make sure they made something that was true to original games.

There is at least a small amount of irony in this.