If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fate of Amalur MMO Teetering

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited June 2012 in Latest Updates
As the fate of Curt Schilling's team at 38 Studios hangs in the balance, the first real media from the company's MMO has been revealed. Will this be the first and last we ever see of Project Copernicus?

[ Story ] :(
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2012
    In case anyone missed it, after this post all employees from both companies were laid off. :(
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    This sucks :(
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Damn. That's a pretty ignoble end to it all. They started in 2008, didn't they?

EDIT: Here's a fun bit from Giant Bomb.
    UPDATE 3: According to Chafee, 38 Studios took a turn for the worse due to poor sales of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

“The game failed," said Chafee.

38 Studios founder Curt Schilling announced on Twitter yesterday that Reckoning sold 1.2 million copies. Chafee said the game needed to sell closer to three million.

The state also just published a bunch of documents related to its loan.
    You know that the industry's bonkers when 1.2 million is a failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited May 2012
    MasterChief said:
    Damn. That's a pretty ignoble end to it all. They started in 2008, didn't they?

EDIT: Here's a fun bit from Giant Bomb.

You know that the industry's bonkers when 1.2 million is a failure.
    Yeah, the whole "it failed" thing is all about context. The fact that the game needed to sell 3 million to break even had to be because of all the other funds being funneled into the development of the money-draining MMO.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    I would have been happy with no MMO and just a more refined Amalur game, perhaps a series that would continue to grow and refine itself. I liked Reckoning too much to want to see it die forever. :(
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    As I've mentioned on a few other places if the company had done more none MMO games first with the idea of MMO later and had not started with the MMO first we'd probabyl see one of hte most currently profitable companies.

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited May 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    As I've mentioned on a few other places if the company had done more none MMO games first with the idea of MMO later and had not started with the MMO first we'd probably see one of the most currently profitable companies.
    Yeah, Runic Games' decision to hold off on the Torchlight MMO and focus on T2 makes a whole ton more sense now. 38 Studios should have been releasing several games under the Amalur name, build the brand some before sinking all this money into an MMO in such a volatile market.

[QUOTE="Macstorm"]Yeah, the whole "it failed" thing is all about context. The fact that the game needed to sell 3 million to break even had to be because of all the other funds being funneled into the development of the money-draining MMO.

Yeah, there's that I guess. Still, it's pretty astounding to hear "million-selling failure" and really highlights that the failure was in 38 studios' business model.

I feel horrible for RI citizens, though. That's a lot of money to float over to a company that goes insolvent like that. Wonder how much of that is going to end up actually getting paid back...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lodor3Lodor3 Member Full Members
    edited May 2012
    That RI loan of 75m only paid out 45m at this daye and 38S had already made the state over 20m in revinue since they moved there.

That RI gov did some real shady stuff also which helped kill off 38s in the end. Sure, 38s had horrible people in their finance dept. that missmanaged their funds but that RI gov screwed the game studio sidways.
    edited May 2012
    and could bring up specifics as to what he did that screwed them over sideways.

Please back up a statement like that so that we all can read it

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    Plus, someone can feel free to correct this, but I was under the impression they did not make 20m revenue, but that the IP was considered worth 20m.
    edited May 2012
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/28/technology/38-studios/index.htm

Thought I'd toss this up as it has some numbers in it and is a decent read for information

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    That article definitely does a good job outlining the basics. What makes the situation particularly unfortunate is that the loans themselves didn't come from the government, but from private investors. Rhode Island basically co-signed the loans with 38 Studios. That's why the RI taxpayers are on the hook for the loans... the government didn't directly give taxpayer money to 38, but it's contractually obligated to use taxpayer money to pay off the loans now that 38 went kaput.

I feel bad for the former 38/BHG employees and the Rhode Island taxpayers.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited May 2012
    Paws said:
    Plus, someone can feel free to correct this, but I was under the impression they did not make 20m revenue, but that the IP was considered worth 20m.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that RI's gonna get 20 million out of the sale of those IPs. Any game company worth its salt would see the situation RI's in and try to bid as far down as possible. It's not like RI's going to be making a game, and I doubt there's a lot of bidders for Amalur.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    Amalur's not worth anything without the team behind it. Only going off of Reckoning, which I really enjoyed, the soul of that game was the Big Huge Games team, not Schilling, Salvatore, McFarlane, or most of 38 Studios. They are gone now, and for me, so is Amalur.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited May 2012
    MasterChief said:
    Unfortunately, I doubt that RI's gonna get 20 million out of the sale of those IPs. Any game company worth its salt would see the situation RI's in and try to bid as far down as possible. It's not like RI's going to be making a game, and I doubt there's a lot of bidders for Amalur.
    Yeah, that 20 million valuation was made by Michael Pachter, an analyst who is... frequently incorrect. Other analysts have since chimed in saying they doubt the IP will go for anything close to that. It's a brand-new IP that doesn't really have any currency with fans as of yet (while Reckoning was fun, there was little love for the setting, which most folks said had a few interesting ideas in it but was overall rather generic).

What would be maximally awesome would be for Bethesda to hire the folks who designed Reckoning's combat system. And some writers.
    edited May 2012
    Ocelot said:
    What would be maximally awesome would be for Bethesda to hire the folks who designed Reckoning's combat system. And some writers.
    That would be Joe Quadara, and I agree completely.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited May 2012
    Macstorm said:
    Amalur's not worth anything without the team behind it. Only going off of Reckoning, which I really enjoyed, the soul of that game was the Big Huge Games team, not Schilling, Salvatore, McFarlane, or most of 38 Studios. They are gone now, and for me, so is Amalur.
    Pretty much. If BHG hadn't been shuttered, maybe, but without those guys, RI's gonna be lucky to get anything of value. The whole thing's just a huge cluster.

[QUOTE=Ocelot]Yeah, that 20 million valuation was made by Michael Pachter, an analyst who is... frequently incorrect. Other analysts have since chimed in saying they doubt the IP will go for anything close to that. It's a brand-new IP that doesn't really have any currency with fans as of yet (while Reckoning was fun, there was little love for the setting, which most folks said had a few interesting ideas in it but was overall rather generic).

Indeed. You don't get the big bucks for an IP that has only one game and very little cache with the community. Most game companies will simply be content to hire the guys behind Reckoning and have them work on something else, assuming the BHG crew doesn't end up rebranding. There's just no way RI gets off the hook for this massive political failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    Just a side note, the Reckoning combat designer DID get picked up by someone already. He's going to work for Ready at Dawn, the devs behind the PSP God of War games. They've been hiring for a third-person action-adventure game for a "next generation home console game system" since earlier in the year. Hmm?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    edited May 2012
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    I cast summon editorialist to explain what this all means.
    It means, "don't promise state funds to pay back a loan taken out by an unproven company developing an already-overdue MMORPG."
    edited May 2012
    Ocelot said:
    It means, "don't promise state funds to pay back a loan taken out by an unproven company developing an already-overdue MMORPG."
    Pretty much this.

The politicians can deny it all they want, this was purely because they were star-struck by Schilling. There shouldn't have been anything more than the sort of tax credits we normally see. Funding a company with no track record at all is a poor use of public funds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    There are other forums where schilling and many of the devs used to post, some the devs still do since this all happened.

Plus there are plenty of people that talk to former employees that know the inside track. So far a lot of info going around the net is half truth or completely wrong. Even that cnn article above will be proven wrong in many of its stated "facts" once everything gets aufited and people are forced to go on record.

But do not expect any real truth on this matter for most likely over 1 year from now.

Im not going to get into any arguements here beyound what ive already said. It isnt worth my time and in due time people will learn the real truth behind this fiasco.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2012
    Instead of saying "I know they post places!" try providing links, or at the very least names. Otherwise, as far as anyone's concerned, you're talking out your *** :)
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2012
    Macstorm said:
    Just a side note, the Reckoning combat designer DID get picked up by someone already. He's going to work for Ready at Dawn, the devs behind the PSP God of War games.
    The Ouroboros is real!
    edited June 2012
    Any seasoned mmo player would know the forums i spoke of. They dont tend to like cross linking so I just wont name the place but im sure there are a few mmo players here that know and may even go there also.
    edited June 2012
    Lodor3 said:
    Any seasoned mmo player would know the forums i spoke of. They dont tend to like cross linking so I just wont name the place but im sure there are a few mmo players here that know and may even go there also.
    In other words, talking out'cha rear you are. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Lodor3 said:
    I don't know 11 years of MMOing and forum hopping and none come to mind. Unless you're talking gamefaqs forums ... which people talk outta there *** there too.

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Actually, I know the forum he's talking about. Can't remember the name though. It was a long time ago. Blue graphics on black background and a gothic font. An unusual number of industry devs from many active studios post there with everyone else. It's kind of cool.