If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Wows With Final Fantasy Tech Demo

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited June 2012 in Latest Updates
While this isn't a new game announcement, this tech demo shows what could one day be a Final Fantasy game. Of course, that day might be in 2023.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• RazaRaza Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Since I was apparently 20 seconds late on this post, I'm gonna copy my post on another thread over if you don't mind.

10/10 awesome. Too bad it's probably just Square showing off the tech and not realistically considering whether to go forward with it as a title.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    AAAAA! Jump cuts & shakey-cam. Hard to see much of what's going on, for large portions of it. (Of course, that's not the fault of the tech, just the people using it.)
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2012
    ART TEAM WE NEED NEW VIDEO. NO RULES EXCEPT EVERYTHING MUST CLASH WITH EVERYTHING ELSE.

Although at least they were up front about how the game isn't actually going to be released this time.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Impressive tech, but I could hardly see any details of the art they spent so much time on because of shaky cam and quick cut aways. I hope whomever directed that isn't working on any Square titles.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    That was impressive. I also like what I see in the way of the return to the ways of FF7 in that demo (in terms of areas)
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I liked it quite a bit. I also happened to like the shaky camera.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    I would have preferred less shaky cam, but I loved the setting.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I guess I'd be more impressed if they made an actual sequence of gameplay with this amount of detail in it instead of a cinematic.

also I'm disappointed because for a while I thought the Arabian looking guys were going to be the good guys but I guess it was the white people after all something something can of worms.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    The setting looks intriguing and the quality of the cinematic is great.

But what's with all the shakey cam and quick cuts? It looks like it was directed by Michael Bay
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, real-time tech demo. SE still hasn't made anything at the graphical quality of the PS3 tech demo this gen, so you'll have to forgive my cynicism. Of course, I've seen more than my fair share of BS tech demos....
    The Doomhammer said:
    I guess I'd be more impressed if they made an actual sequence of gameplay with this amount of detail in it instead of a cinematic.

also I'm disappointed because for a while I thought the Arabian looking guys were going to be the good guys but I guess it was the white people after all something something can of worms.
    That rubbed me wrong too. You can tell what they were going for with those guys... Not just the turbans, but the TOTALLY NOT AK-47 rifles that were totally AK-47s.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    The saving grace here is that it's from Square Enix, so the guys you think are the bad guys could very well actually be the good guys. ;)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    half-joking: Again SE wows us with more graphics and forgets to show anything remotely resembling gameplay. Oh it be awesome just because it looks awesome....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    Shadowcat said:
    half-joking: Again SE wows us with more graphics and forgets to show anything remotely resembling gameplay. Oh it be awesome just because it looks awesome....
    Psst, it's a tech demo. You know...
    A tech demo (technology demonstration) is a prototype, rough example or an otherwise incomplete version of a product, put together with the primary purpose of showcasing the idea, performance, method or the features of the product.
    that. They don't need to show gameplay if it's a tech demo, as it's just showing something off more than anything. Sorta like with that FF7 tech demo they did a few years back.

EDIT: Just in case I misinterpreted which part you were joking about, okay?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    It was a very impressive tech demo. Hopefully these types of games will get here just in time for my grandchildren to enjoy them.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Also hated the shaky cam. It was tough to get a handle on "good guys vs. bad guys" - there were villain tropes all around. Showed promise, though maybe a little *too* "gritty and realistic" for me.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2012
    Prediction. This will actually be Final Fantasy XVII and will still be released before Versus.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    EDIT: Just in case I misinterpreted which part you were joking about, okay?
    Kinda being cynical and a bit satirical at the same time. I knew it was a tech demo but seriously: SE keeps forgetting about the gameplay in alot of their new games in favor of eye candy...there are exceptions to the the rule but things keep going more and more twords that. (joking abit again: Pretty soon we'll have a game by them that's noting but quicktime events!)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Have you played The Bouncer?
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • shintowave123shintowave123 Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2012
    How much of a giant budget will it take to make an rpg, like that?
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Shadowcat said:
    Kinda being cynical and a bit satirical at the same time. I knew it was a tech demo but seriously: SE keeps forgetting about the gameplay in alot of their new games in favor of eye candy...there are exceptions to the the rule but things keep going more and more twords that. (joking abit again: Pretty soon we'll have a game by them that's noting but quicktime events!)
    Hey, it works for Quantic Dream.
    How much of a giant budget will it take to make an rpg, like that?
    The engine itself is probably the biggest financial hurdle. Once it's complete and they have solid tools in place, assuming that its a good, well-documented engine and the tools don't suck, they should be able to pump out a game in 2-3 years of development like every other major studio out there.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited June 2012
    For some reason it made me want a bottle of Coca-Colaga. ;)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Oh no! Not another tech demo for a game we'll never see! Everyone remembers what happened the last time a tech demo was released right? I'm talking about the FF7 PS3 demo. There may be other infamous ones I'm not remembering.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited June 2012
    meh, as per all of their tech demos, they'll never make a game that looks that good, so I don't see the point. ps2 never had a game that looked like the ff8 cgi waltz, ps3 never had a game that looked liked the ff7 remake/demo, and the next console won't have a game that looks as good as this current demo.

Not being negative or anything, just stating the perceived facts based on past experiences.

Anyhoo, I guess SE is wanting feedback on whether or not that looks like a good potential game world, and if Agni seems like a good choice for a main character. I think the world looks cool, but Agni sounds like a whiney, shrill teen girl, based on the voice acting present in the demo. I'm not about to listen to that annoying voice for hours on end.

Elly in the "The Last of Us" demo is a teen girl, and sounds completely normal and not annoying, so why can't Agni?
    sup?
  • whiteferrerowhiteferrero New Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    awesome coke commercial.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2012
    From someone who makes crappy games lately and then excuses himself with "X is not possible to do because the budget doesn't allow to make X in a high-quality title like this.", I don't really care about tech demos...

I rather have them tune down the graphics quality a lot, maybe even go back to "2D on non-handheld consoles" and instead shine with awesome gameplay like they used to.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2012
    omegabyte said:
    Hey, it works for Quantic Dream.

The engine itself is probably the biggest financial hurdle. Once it's complete and they have solid tools in place, assuming that its a good, well-documented engine and the tools don't suck, they should be able to pump out a game in 2-3 years of development like every other major studio out there.
    On the first point, I loled. :D

On the second, this is Square Enix. They've shown a complete and utter inability to get games out in a 2-3 year cycle. They'll more likely take 4-6.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Congratulations, Square Enix! Awesome video! Cool world! Nice FF references! I like Agni! . . . But . . .

It doesn't matter.

As Doomhammer said, this is an FMV (full motion video). What is the point of showing us this? Everyone knows that in an FMVs look better and more realistic over time. I don't feel like it's that much better than any FF13 FMV. Does anyone who plays RPGs still really care about FMV quality? I want to know. Please answer.
    Maudren said:
    Agni sounds like a whiney, shrill teen girl, based on the voice acting present in the demo. I'm not about to listen to that annoying voice for hours on end. Elly in the "The Last of Us" demo is a teen girl, and sounds completely normal and not annoying, so why can't Agni?
    If Agni was actually talking to someone, she probably would sound normal. She's supposed to sound shreeky in the video we just saw. She was running, being attacked by a monster, and chanting the summoning spell all at the same time. Give her a break, man.
  • shintowave123shintowave123 Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2012
    i also do not get hyped by tech demos
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    This is not FMV. That's the whole point of a tech demo. It's done with an actual in-game engine.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    MasterChief said:
    On the first point, I loled. :D

On the second, this is Square Enix. They've shown a complete and utter inability to get games out in a 2-3 year cycle. They'll more likely take 4-6.
    In the past generation, yes, this has been true.

But prior to that they were able to work on a 2-3 year cycle very easily, up until 2003 (release of FFXI) when FF12 got hit with heavy delays. FF13 then followed suit. FF14 they somehow seemed to push out in about 6 months, but we all know how badly that went.

But then they were able to get FF13-2 ready in less than 2 years. I think that's potentially a sign of good things to come. Or maybe it's a lucky fluke, who knows.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!