If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Silent Hill: Book of Memories Impression - E3 2012

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited June 2012 in Latest Updates
Silent Hill is opening its gates to Vita owners for the first time later this year. Anna Marie Neufeld reports back on her experience with the game at E3.

[ Impression ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    Good, it's keeps sounding better, though the inclusion of Pyramid Head disturbs me, since really, I don't think he could work anywhere else OTHER than Silent Hill 2.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Tomm also mentioned something about creepy nurses that flew over my head, but apparently is also a series staple.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    Paws said:
    Tomm also mentioned something about creepy nurses that flew over my head, but apparently is also a series staple.
    Oh, you mean...THESE nurses?
    image
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Oh, ew. Yes, probably.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Seems appropriate to post a link to some of the franchise's scariest moments.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited June 2012
    [Insert Obligatory "Silent Hill is Dead" comment here]
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    [insert mandatory flame war here]

    Now that I have that out of the way...IMO the last good Silent Hill games were Silent Hill 4 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited June 2012
    [Insert the part where everyone agrees to disagree here; sunshine and rainbows fall from the sky as a choir of angels sings Kumbaya...yea, truly peace reigns]
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    Yep, that's basically the gist of a Silent Hill thread.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    [insert mandatory flame war here]

    Now that I have that out of the way...IMO the last good Silent Hill games were Silent Hill 4 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
    Someone else likes Silent Hill 4! The only thing I didn't like about it was the item storage box and limited inventory. I hated to see that it wasn't included in the HD remakes.
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I really liked silent hill origins. For some reason the majority of the fanbase seems to dislike that game but I thought it was pretty scary for a hand held game. I really liked the sound track, and I like how the cult, alessa, and her mom (i forget her name) get much more fleshed out, and the motives of kaufman and the mom are a little more fleshed out. The game basically fleshed out silent hill 1 all together and gave context to story lines there weren't really clear in sh1.

    Anyhoo, that's the last sh game I liked. And before that, sh3 and 2.

    This new one seems pretty cool.
    sup?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2012
    Rewind said:
    Someone else likes Silent Hill 4! The only thing I didn't like about it was the item storage box and limited inventory. I hated to see that it wasn't included in the HD remakes.
    The item storage box and the limited inventory were my only problems with the game too, other than getting the endings...since you-know-who liked seemed to go faster despite being hurt more. XD
    Maudren said:
    I really liked silent hill origins. For some reason the majority of the fanbase seems to dislike that game but I thought it was pretty scary for a hand held game. I really liked the sound track, and I like how the cult, alessa, and her mom (i forget her name) get much more fleshed out, and the motives of kaufman and the mom are a little more fleshed out. The game basically fleshed out silent hill 1 all together and gave context to story lines there weren't really clear in sh1.
    Origins was good, but the game suddenly ending like it did made no sense. How did he end up from
    Spoiler:
    cult-central to suddenly outside of the town? Did the cult people just let him go, or did the god kick their *** first?
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    I just got the HD Collection and plan to play those again. Homecoming and Origins were pretty bad but the other games have been decent even if not as good as 1-3. I still need to play Downpour though, the mixed reviews steered me away from spending 60 on it.

    Hopefully BoM turns out good, I plan to get a Vita but there isn't really much coming for it atm.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    Dang handhelds...they get all of the cool off-shoots.

    Back to THIS game...is Koudelka an appropriate comparison to Book of Memories?
  • BogrotBogrot New Member Full Members
    edited June 2012
    TG Barighm said:
    Dang handhelds...they get all of the cool off-shoots.

    Back to THIS game...is Koudelka an appropriate comparison to Book of Memories?
    Nope- Koudelka's a traditional party-based, turn-based RPG set in Wales a century ago or so. Exploration's like the original Resident Evil, with static backgrounds and that bad control system.

    Book of Memories is a realtime action RPG, you control one character (although can play with others and possibly have AI squadmates??), is randomised, and is in 3D rather than static backgrounds for the exploration. Oh, and it's modern day rather than Ye Olde Koudelka, and is in Silent Hill (USA) rather than rainy Wales.

    I quite like Koudelka though- nice Lovecraftian atmosphere.
Sign In or Register to comment.