If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
edited June 2012 in Latest Updates
Saving Throw delves in depth into last year's game of the year. This offering from Evil Hat not only lets you fly all the time, but offers you cookies as a quest reward.

yeah, my pro Evil hat stance isn't changing anytime soon.

• NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Pilgrims always fly away!

I've been thinking about how Do uses a gaming journal. Every session results in a written record. If you keep all the records together, it's like a group-created storybook. It works excellently for this game; I wonder how else it could be used, and why it didn't work when I tried doing something similar in an old D&D game.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    the big difference is that for Do, the record keeping is part of the core, while in D&D it's homework. It's like asking players to read more than a page of setting notes at the start of the game or maintain the campaign's wiki past posting their character sheet to it, anything makes your hobby feel like a chore tends to hit the wayside fast.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2012
    Hm, some of the Japanese pen-and-paper games in the early 80s (like Sword World) kept journals, but I'm not sure how intrinsic that was to the game. Several of those game journals got revamped into actual novelizations and anime later on, though.