If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

crunchryroll to launch ps3 app

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited August 2012 in Entertainment
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    This pleases me.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Crunchyroll is a decent service, but I almost never use it on computers, and using it on my iPod Touch seems like a serious battery drain. Will look forward to the PS3 app.

I could use Netflix or Hulu for streaming video, but I don't have much interest in what they offer. You see, I can walk to my local library and rent quite a few videos for free...
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    is it only subtitled anime? i took a quick look on the app with my ps3 but only saw subtitles on the free anime they offered?
    I know this isn't a popular thing among anime fans, but i really prefer dubbing. i would like to know if they offer any before i sign up.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2012
    Ryu; it's mostly subtitled but there is a series or two with dubs (check very carefully..)

I hope that helps.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Ryumoau wrote: »
    is it only subtitled anime? i took a quick look on the app with my ps3 but only saw subtitles on the free anime they offered?
    I know this isn't a popular thing among anime fans, but i really prefer dubbing. i would like to know if they offer any before i sign up.

If you want alot of dubs pay for netflix. The upside to crunchryroll is that you can usually see episodes a few hours after they air in Japan where as a dub can take 2-3 years to come out if at all. It's a good company if you want to try to take the legal rote instead of looking for fansubs. Personally my thing is cut vs uncut...not subs vs. dubs...

now on to my assessment of the current version of the app:
    As of the version 1.01 which is the first issue with a minor patch: It's way glitchy and has crashed my PS3 several times with blackscreens. Once when I was trying to marathon something it kicked me back to the Xcross menu bar. It also only plays in 480P but Crunchroll promised HD video later this year. The app also has some bad skipping issues when it comes to lag vs. other PS3 streaming apps and my PC running full screen 1080P on my TV set. I'm sure this will get better but for now it's a big nuisance. I would only recommend this app if you feel like you need to sit back on your couch and watch rather than using a laptop, desktop or tablet. It's a shame that the developers did not take more time to test this before submitting it to Sony.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,