If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ni no Kuni Gets a Limited Wizard's Companion

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited July 2012 in Latest Updates
RPGs are not strangers to magical texts and tomes, but these things rarely come in such a tangible form as what will be bundled in with certain copies of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Expect to pay a premium for this dictionary of magic, though.

[Link]

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    They torture me with that. I don't want to pay $100 for that...but the magic book is making me want to.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • Lodor3Lodor3 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I tad over priced Id have to say.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    I would have a financial dilemma here, but they don't ship outside the USA, so I guess I don't have to decide. :-p
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Options
    Unknown Unregistered / Not Logged In
    edited July 2012
    They aren't shipping to Canada? Seriously eh? I guess I'll have to ship it to the border and go pick it up.

Now, I'm wondering since they've translated the book to English if anyone'll tackle hacking / translating the DS version.

Honestly when I heard about this game years ago I was more excited for the DS version with the stylus casting spells. I WISH they would make that one in English.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    daveh_cdn said:
    They aren't shipping to Canada? Seriously eh? I guess I'll have to ship it to the border and go pick it up.

Now, I'm wondering since they've translated the book to English if anyone'll tackle hacking / translating the DS version.

Honestly when I heard about this game years ago I was more excited for the DS version with the stylus casting spells. I WISH they would make that one in English.
    I don't think it's the same book. From the sounds of it, this one is sort of a mini-strategy guide, whereas the DS book was actually an essential part of the gameplay.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    omegabyte said:
    I don't think it's the same book. From the sounds of it, this one is sort of a mini-strategy guide, whereas the DS book was actually an essential part of the gameplay.
    Actually, from the looking around I did, I think this is more a physical copy of the PS3 version's in-game equivalent to the DS's book. It's functionally the same kind of thing as the DS version's book, but not required because there is an in-game version. Or something like that.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Almost $120 after shipping and tax, this edition looks nice but I think I'll go for the regular.
  • abaraabara Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    TwinBahamut said:
    Actually, from the looking around I did, I think this is more a physical copy of the PS3 version's in-game equivalent to the DS's book. It's functionally the same kind of thing as the DS version's book, but not required because there is an in-game version. Or something like that.
    Correct. In Japan, the DS and PS3 versions both had the same book bundled (I have two identical copies of the thing) but the PS3 actually has an in-game version of it as well that you complete by finding pages within the game world.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    abara said:
    Correct. In Japan, the DS and PS3 versions both had the same book bundled (I have two identical copies of the thing) but the PS3 actually has an in-game version of it as well that you complete by finding pages within the game world.
    Is there a lot of art in the book? If it's a fully loaded art book in addition to having the text, I could see it being worth the extra $40.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Soulweaver said:
    Is there a lot of art in the book? If it's a fully loaded art book in addition to having the text, I could see it being worth the extra $40.
    Preordered the Wizard Edition the first day I heard about it. Mine came to $109 tax/shipping.
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • Gideon ZhiGideon Zhi Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I'd love to order this. I'm pretty sure I will. But I wish they'd let you get it somewhere other than the Club Namco store. (Personal preference: Amazon. I've got Prime, sooooo...)
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I'll probably wait until the reviews to pick this one up.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    So, this game has been out in Japan for some time - was it good? It's obviously a very pretty game, and one I've been curious about for awhile. Unlike some multiplatform releases, I assume someone could tell me if it's a decent RPG (with respect to length/quality/etc.) before I drop 100 on something like this...
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    I've read impressions but not so much a review. though they reviewed the DS game as 5/5, so I'm expecting a rather exceptional game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited July 2012
    $100!? AHAHAHAHA! Nope, not gonna touch that. I bet they have to slash the price before they sell them all.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    watcher said:
    $100!? AHAHAHAHA! Nope, not gonna touch that. I bet they have to slash the price before they sell them all.
    Yeah, I seriously doubt that. I doubt they'll have any left come launch.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Soulweaver said:
    The Book has a lot of art, mostly of the illuminated manuscript variety, as well as a collection of fairy tales and personal accounts towards the end. It also includes info on every regular monster, spell, and piece of equipment in the game, regional maps, and encoded messages. It really was more essential for the DS game, though. It's possible to play most of the PS3 game without worrying about consulting the book, except for a specific set of side-quests that require you to do some actual reading.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I am totally ready to pre order this thing but when I press the pre order button, a blank window pops up and never loads anything. LAME! The FIRST time I EVER buy a special edition, too!
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited July 2012
    They didn't expect anybody to actually press on the pre-order button.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    i don't think you get charged when you preorder items, only when they actually ship (in this case, end of January). They do, however, preauthorize your CC to make sure you have the funds, but that charge goes away after a few business days.
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I really want the book but I also really don't like the $100 price point (which is closer to $110 even with the cheapest shipping option)