If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy VII Does PC... Again

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited July 2012 in Latest Updates
No, this is not the HD remake you've been looking for. We suspect Square Enix just couldn't pass up the opportunity to allow "Cloud Saving" for Final Fantasy VII.

[Story and Trailer]
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
«1

Comments

  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    I can't see how this could possibly go wrong.

    We need sarcasm tags...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Still have my original copy for PC so not really interested in it again.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    sorry but I think I'd rather play without your cheat codes SE...I'm still in if the game is fixed for modern video cards tho ^^
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    No Update to graphics, also will allow for trophies. The EU version of the site had some info.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    No Update to graphics, also will allow for trophies. The EU version of the site had some info.
    as long as it's not grainy and renders smooth this is a non issue(goes along with "supports video cards that are not 15 years old")
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Hmm. I wonder if this will be compatible with all the mods for the old PC version? Guess we'll see.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    The Doomhammer said:
    Hmm. I wonder if this will be compatible with all the mods for the old PC version? Guess we'll see.
    This. I must know if I'm able to do whacky things in the game via way of mods.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I don't see a reason for this other than maybe doing some housecleaning for a legacy title. A Square Enix store exclusive? Come on. If you want to move units in the digital space you have to be on Steam.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, FF7 was great when it came out, but it hasn't aged gracefully. There's nothing in it that hasn't been done better in newer FF games aside from breeding and racing chocobos. And nail bat. Not saying I haven't played the crap out of the game or anything, all I'm saying is, nostalgia glasses off, it's a decent game. :/ Objectively, I can't understand the obsession outside of fond memories of the past.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Savorien said:
    I don't see a reason for this other than maybe doing some housecleaning for a legacy title. A Square Enix store exclusive? Come on. If you want to move units in the digital space you have to be on Steam.
    We were discussing this in the staff channel; you can sell a game that requires steam but isn't on the steam store (as well as vice versa) so nothing's saying we won't later hear this is a steam code being sold exclusively by SE. This is all theory though.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps the updated compatibility with newer OS will spur more modders to take a serious look at the game (again). I'd play the game for the fourth (or is it fifth?) time if, say, some clever modder hacked in a fully functional job system (to the exception of materia).
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    lolwhoops said:
    Yeah, FF7 was great when it came out, but it hasn't aged gracefully. There's nothing in it that hasn't been done better in newer FF games aside from breeding and racing chocobos. And nail bat. Not saying I haven't played the crap out of the game or anything, all I'm saying is, nostalgia glasses off, it's a decent game. :/ Objectively, I can't understand the obsession outside of fond memories of the past.
    The materia / equipment system was quite nice and allowed funny exploiting and I don't think something similar came in later FFs?
    I think it's also the only FF except FFVI that focuses more on the final villain.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    That's true. FF has generally had really crappy final villains since VII.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    Ocelot said:
    That's true. FF has generally had really crappy final villains since VII.
    Unless you count FFXII, which had a good show going at first for Vayne, then somewhere dropped the ball (sadly). And it's a crying shame, because I truly liked him as a villain. While I hated his guts, there was enough going on to where I respected why he was playing the villain.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah, Vayne was great. Too bad the final villain was all WTF Who Is This Guy?
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Oh yeah, Vayne was great. Too bad the final villain was all WTF Who Is This Guy?
    I felt if the story hadn't had that major shift all of a sudden, it would have been as amazing as Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics in that department.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Shinra's glass is as thick as ever =p.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Ocelot said:
    That's true. FF has generally had really crappy final villains since VII.
    I disagree, as long as you recognize who the real villain was, FFX had a great one (Jecht). I still think that the dynamic between Tidus and Jecht throughout that game is the best character/villain relationship in the history of the series.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I played FFX, but I can't remember anything about its story anymore. I just remember following a linear path all the time, I was in a different world which was not mine and for some reason I was like the choosen one. Who was the villain anyway? That blue haired handsome guy, wasn't it?

    In FFVI and FFVII I can very well remember the villains, their personality, even my favorite quotes of them. Their establishing is sooooo much better than any other FF villains which I can barely remember at all.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    omegabyte said:
    I disagree, as long as you recognize who the real villain was, FFX had a great one (Jecht). I still think that the dynamic between Tidus and Jecht throughout that game is the best character/villain relationship in the history of the series.
    Yeah, I actually forgot to say "final villains" in there. That's what I meant... the final boss fights of most of the games have been meh, because they were never with a great villain who has been built up through the game. I can't speak for X, though, since I never finished it.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Yeah, I actually forgot to say "final villains" in there. That's what I meant... the final boss fights of most of the games have been meh, because they were never with a great villain who has been built up through the game. I can't speak for X, though, since I never finished it.
    Well, I don't count Yevon as the final boss of FFX, because you can't lose that battle. You have permanent auto-life the whole time. Jecht is the real final boss, and he's a great final boss.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    omegabyte said:
    Well, I don't count Yevon as the final boss of FFX, because you can't lose that battle. You have permanent auto-life the whole time. Jecht is the real final boss, and he's a great final boss.
    the confrontation, and all the bits during the story leading up to it were really amazing to me. It's why FFX is amongst my favourite of games. However, the game loses all challenge if you grind out the arena and the optional dungeon. Jecht died in one hit, if I remember right. Maybe two, because I think I remembering him having 120k hp or so. Was the most anti-climactic battle I had since FF7's you can't die against sephiroth because you use omnislash and win instantly.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D
  • PesmergaPesmerga New Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Why would they want to do a PC re-release? I mean it does not look like they are really going to add anything significant to the game. Guess Squenix have finally lost their minds or this is a revisit of "Plan B"; When things go south we go with re-releasing classics!
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Pesmerga said:
    Why would they want to do a PC re-release? I mean it does not look like they are really going to add anything significant to the game. Guess Squenix have finally lost their minds or this is a revisit of "Plan B"; When things go south we go with re-releasing classics!
    SE has yet to lean that anything retro styled would sell better to their fans...so rehashing "classics" is the only thing making them money...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I disagree - as an actual villain, Jecht didn't have much presence throughout the game. The worst you could say was he was a bit of a jerk, but he doesn't come close to the "love to hate" factor of FF6, 7 or 9. Speaking of which, I actually thought Kuja was quite an effective villain; he was almost as scary of Sephiroth, mainly due to his slow devolution into insanity, and he was actually somewhat sympathetic once you found out why he was doing everything he did.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Cidolfas said:
    I disagree - as an actual villain, Jecht didn't have much presence throughout the game. The worst you could say was he was a bit of a jerk, but he doesn't come close to the "love to hate" factor of FF6, 7 or 9. Speaking of which, I actually thought Kuja was quite an effective villain; he was almost as scary of Sephiroth, mainly due to his slow devolution into insanity, and he was actually somewhat sympathetic once you found out why he was doing everything he did.
    if you want to go back further in FF4 Goblez despite the twist of being under the control of the twist end villain Zemus was pretty good. Also X-Death taunts the heroes almost all the way through FF5 but I'll admit he's not near as crazy as the other guys you mentioned...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2012
    They're gonna sell it for one million dollars.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    How much you want to bet they're going to pull a "Lifestream saga" DLC where you're playing as various felled heroes from the game (including its past) in order to help get Holy up and running? You know, like that whole Underworld type thing they pulled for Final Fantasy II.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    That would be cool, actually.
Sign In or Register to comment.