If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

now someone is trying to kickstarter a console called the OUYA

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Apparently it's gonna be Android so it'll be hackable out of the gate and cost $99: OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console (kickstarter)
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
FlOzXvF.jpg
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    I'll have to keep an eye on this...but I'm skeptical.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    If they get some support from Android marketplace by working with Google. This would be awesome.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Kickstarting a.... Console?

Unless this is going to be a simple novelty, do these guys know what putting hardware out actually entails?! And the whole "every game is free to play" deal is odd. Doesn't sound like there'd be a whole fat lot of room for single-player experiences of any sort...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 2012
    Every game has to have a free demo, but they can do in-game DLC or time limit it so you pay for the game.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Smaller projects are within the capability of normal individuals such as you and me.

I'm not very entrepreneurial. I probably wouldn't have what it takes to place an order with a Chinese factory and arrange shipment and distribution of goods. Kickstarter entrepreneurs do this all the time for almost any project involving physical delivery of goods.

Now, let's actually discuss this guy's idea:

The strength of the console is that the hardware is standardized.
    The weakness of the console is platform owner control.
    The biggest part of the "control" disadvantage is money that must be paid to publish games on the platform.

Say hypothetically that you had a console where the platform owner didn't want control. This is basically what you have here. In this case, the console manufacturer would need to charge retail for each console sold. No subsidy could be offered because the platform owner wouldn't be entitled to fees from publishers post-sale. Here's the real kicker though: most consoles are sold at a profit anyway. So the aim of this kickstarter project is to remove platform owner control.

Publishers would be more inclined to publish for this platform because there's no platform owner control - no pied piper that must be paid.
    Publishers will be less inclined to publish for this platform because:
    - There's a small installed base. I don't see this getting off the ground really.
    - The hardware is not powerful enough ($99 pricetag)
    - No support from the platform owner, such as development assistance, or marketing assistance (like E3 mentions)

The concept in play here is similar to the fictional PFP concept from "The World God Only Knows" (Japanese manga). In the story, the handheld game system is sold retail and game companies publish software for it without platform owner oversight.

EDIT: There's something wrong with their math. The basic deal is to pre-sell 6000 OUYAs at $100 each. This works out to $600k but the goal is $950k. Can anyone enlighten me? Essentially the question is "Why is 'Get an OUYA' a limited reward?
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    As best as I can tell, this is going to be almost 100% filled with smaller budget and indie titles. Honestly, their biggest competitor will probably be Steam, and frankly I don't see the need to shell out $100 for that, especially since my PC is already hooked up to my TV :)

I'll be curious to see how much support this actually ends up getting. I suspect, though, it's going to be another tiny little niche that nobody pays any attention to. After all, onLive made a lot of the same claims, like that it was going to upend the console market. It didn't pan out.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    Already got a stupidly powerful PC, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Now at $2 million. In 24 hours. With a month left on the Kickstarter. Success or not, they're gonna get a lot of money out of this.
    After all, onLive made a lot of the same claims, like that it was going to upend the console market. It didn't pan out.

Just because it didn't blow you away out of the gate doesn't mean the story is over. What happens when it becomes part of your every day cable TV service? Gotta admit the possibility of avoiding consoles and PC's and all that and streaming a AAA game straight to your TV is very enticing. And that's old news. Just now I learned all future TV's featuring Google TV comes with OnLive out of the box.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2012
    23,000 people backed a console with no actual, confirmed support from any developer.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Basically disappointed that they're taking a cut of sales. If it's really an open console, they're supposed to make money on the hardware.

Although, it is "open," so if you can sell outside of using their store, you can get 100% of sales. That's a tough thing to do though. Hacking it won't be tough, it's the selling that will be.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Yeah it really sucks when businesses try to make money.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
    edited July 2012
    That's a tough thing to do though. Hacking it won't be tough, it's the selling that will be.

If this thing keeps earning $1 million every 12 hours (now at $3.3), I don't think marketing will be an issue. They've technically sold 30,000 units.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 2012
    As long as the sun isn't telling them to take the money and run, and the games aren't pirated to hell... oh, who am I kidding. This thing's in trouble.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited July 2012
    As long as the sun isn't telling them to take the money and run,

Take the money and run...to a printer where she printed the cards and manuals and finally has the game in a state where she can start shipping as of this morning.

I'm sure there is a Kickstarter where someone attempted to take the money and run, but this one isn't it, nor does the Ouya look small enough to be a scam (remember the Phantom?).

Just to be clear, I don't think the Ouya will be a mad success, I'm just trying to counter some of the negativity with actual sense.
    edited July 2012
    23,000 people backed a console with no actual, confirmed support from any developer.

For a hundie, I might get one if the stats are right. Looks like a sweet emulator box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    That alone would get them my $100. If I had it. Heh. Hell, just their firm show of support for indie developers would do it. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's Joker, "this industry needs an enema!"

There's potential here for an intersection of homebrew, modders (software AND hardware) and app creators. I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
    Rise!
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Looks like a sweet emulator box.
    I didn't even THINK of that. I wanted one before, I think it could actually go somewhere as a system, just for indie and smaller scale games and such, but I didn't even consider that you could put an emulator on the thing.

Rad.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I didn't even THINK of that. I wanted one before, I think it could actually go somewhere as a system, just for indie and smaller scale games and such, but I didn't even consider that you could put an emulator on the thing.

Rad.

Yeah that's what people do with Android. Also dang: it's pretty darn close to five million with 23 days left
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I put in for it myself. I decided that the risk was worth the cash. A hunnet bux isn't much in the long run and I kinda wanted to put my money where my mouth is, considering I champion the hell out of not only digital distribution but android and iOS as viable gaming platforms. I want this thing to succeed and go somewhere, I'd love for this thing to take off like a shot and upend the market, so why not donate and get myself one? Maybe I can finally get off my *** and work on making a game, like I've been wanting to do.
    edited July 2012
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited August 2012
    hate to double post but the kickstater ended with 8.6 million!

Also available for preorder for $109
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • DyneDyne Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    hate to double post but the kickstater ended with 8.6 million!

Also available for preorder for $109

Does not compute. The console is revealed as a $99 console, they make 7.5 million MORE than they expected so they.. raise the price by $10?
    edited August 2012
    Dyne wrote: »
    Does not compute. The console is revealed as a $99 console, they make 7.5 million MORE than they expected so they.. raise the price by $10?

The $100 was supposed to be a special for the Kickstarter folks. I guess between the ridiculous amount of money made and the deal with VEVO, they figured going too far past that was unneeded, but they still needed to keep the kicksterter folk feeling special.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited August 2012
    The console collector in me must own it...but admittedly, it's the first time that new hardware has been announced that I have been less-than-stoked for launch. Maybe it will surprise me; I hope so, anyway
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    The latest game Informer has a write up on the ouya. Some interesting comments both for and against it. Thought it was a decent read.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited August 2012
    The console collector in me must own it...but admittedly, it's the first time that new hardware has been announced that I have been less-than-stoked for launch. Maybe it will surprise me; I hope so, anyway

I've mentioned it before, but if this bad boy's big enough to swap out hard drives, I'll just pick it up to use as an emulator box. Tegra 3 can handle PS1/Saturn era, yes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    I've mentioned it before, but if this bad boy's big enough to swap out hard drives, I'll just pick it up to use as an emulator box. Tegra 3 can handle PS1/Saturn era, yes?

From what I've seen is actually very small...perhaps about the size of a rubix cube...
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited August 2012
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    From what I've seen is actually very small...perhaps about the size of a rubix cube...

I hope that's not the final design. What, is this thing only going to run on SD cards?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    I hope that's not the final design. What, is this thing only going to run on SD cards?

I think they are gonna try ruining it off downloads and inde stuff. The reason taht they wated to do open source is that every console is a dev kit. I can see a glut of bad games this way like the very unregulated Atari 2600...
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,