If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

now someone is trying to kickstarter a console called the OUYA

2»

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    I think they are gonna try ruining it off downloads and inde stuff. The reason taht they wated to do open source is that every console is a dev kit. I can see a glut of bad games this way like the very unregulated Atari 2600...

I think you meant "running," but for some reason "ruining" also makes sense. *Laughs* Still, there has to be some sort of user-accessible storage if this console is going to be anything more than a masturbation aid for the open source movement. Your comparison to the crash era is appropriate, if the glut of junk already clogging android and iOS is any indication.

You know, I'm starting to reconsider this whole Ouya thing... Probably better off building a Xubuntu box under my TV for the emulators/media thing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Okay, so fast-forward 10 months and this thing is at retail finally. Here is a review.

It's cheap.
    The market is lightly curated. It seems the only requirement is to have a demo mode for each game.
    Games are really cheap (think iOS-level pricing).
    It works. Not a lot (probably not any) QA controls. Just someone checking to see that there's a demo version and a retail version of your game. See reports of "stuttering" in the review.
    You really can "side-load" your own apps (meaning your own apps or those purchase outside of the Ouya store). This is easy enough for a medium tech-savvy person to do, and your side-loaded apps work like you expect they should.

It seems like this console has low potential for the future. They have 170 games on the store now. We will see how that number changes, but I don't see it changing real soon. As this thing has an initial installed base of ~6M (PC is much bigger). Because of that, and additional requirements, it's not going to be an attractive target for developers. Also, the game quality sucks. It reminds me of Wii where every game is bad (but there are a few good ones). It's just not very well curated. Maybe there wasn't much development interest?

It will probably be a good toy for kids because every game (demo) really is free; you can buy the games your kids like. And the games won't set you back much with iOS-level pricing. A $200 PS3 or Xbox 360 is a much more significant investment because of the more expensive games, though these are of higher quality and better curated.
    edited June 2013
    I have to admit to wondering how many people are truly interested in games on the thing. I know that, for myself, I just wanna load up some emulators and use XBMC on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Some of the news revolving around the OUYA has been a nice change of pace from X180 bashing. Advertising on the street outside E3, and then have the police sicced upon them, was funny. And there is the thing with people not getting their OUYA's.

Ah, well. At least they've got good intentions. Better than what MS was trying to do.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I'm still interested but I'm waiting until more interesting games are released for it. And it's not available in Europe yet (but Amazon already lists it for pre-order, so I assume it will come to retail here).

So far the only game that would be interesting for me is Final Fantasy III.
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Some of the news revolving around the OUYA has been a nice change of pace from X180 bashing. Advertising on the street outside E3, and then have the police sicced upon them, was funny. And there is the thing with people not getting their OUYA's.

Ah, well. At least they've got good intentions. Better than what MS was trying to do.

Anything with even the slightest bit of positivity feels like a damned shower after the last couple of weeks of Xbox One nonsense. Seriously, with all the angst that system's caused, I'll probably never buy one again just so I'd never have to talk about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited June 2013
    You know, this thing actually interested me at first. It seems somewhat plagued with bad design decisions though. I kind of lost interest after reading a bit about it and some of these decisions. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding some points, but why in the hell did they create this custom version of Android instead of keeping it mostly stock? I understand that they wanted to create their own ecosystem, but as a result there are some pretty standard games missing that I would want on here. Final Fantasy Dimensions being just one.

Instead, the developers now have to create a branch of their game specifically for Ouya. I'm not an Android expert or anything, but from what I know you target an android version, and possibly have a base hardware requirement. The design decision should have been made to be as inclusive as possible on both those points, not exclusive as they seem to have done. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the "proof is in the pudding" so to speak, and they don't have the games.