If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

NBC Olympics ********

TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan MemberFull Members
edited July 2012 in Entertainment
So watching replays of the olympics online and NBC is not allowing viewing of some of the live sports coverage online for replay. Well NBC isn't allowing certain things on the replay and sadly some of the things they aren't showing are thee Gymnastics, swimming or certain other events.

Considering that NBC was touting how people would be able to watch and rewatch events online. But they are selctively showing which groups so if you miss what you're interested in then you miss out.
sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I had a feeling that would happen. That's why I made sure to livestream the gymnastics because NBC always screws with gymnastics coverage on their "primetime" coverage.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    riulyn wrote: »
    I had a feeling that would happen. That's why I made sure to livestream the gymnastics because NBC always screws with gymnastics coverage on their "primetime" coverage.

I did the same thing today after being disappointed with the men's gymnastics coverage last night, and that it was excluded from live TV earlier. Gymnastics is the only summer Olympics event I try to see all of. It is strange that it's the only event you can't rewatch online when NBC knows it will give less than an hour of heavily edited, fillered-up TV coverage to gymnastics tonight.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    They're doing the same for swimming as well. 7th.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    If I recall, a network got major flack for showing a commercial during some big sports thing a while back that they were showing, that forced fans to miss an amazing play they could have seen if not for the commercial. If I recall correctly, wasn't that NBC?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    BBC online coverage is awesome, everything they've shown in any format (which I'm pretty sure is actually everything) is available to catch up on immediately. And we don't have any annoying adverts :P
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    Just another reason why BBC is the greatest network in the world. Hell, they're also one of the most unbiased networks in the world. It's part of the reason why I trust BBC over every other network in existence...other than my local news shows since they only go over things that happen in the state usually.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited July 2012
    If I recall, a network got major flack for showing a commercial during some big sports thing a while back that they were showing, that forced fans to miss an amazing play they could have seen if not for the commercial. If I recall correctly, wasn't that NBC?

Not sure what you're referring to, but NBC always gets flack for how it handles the Olympics. Most of it is noise -- I understand why they delay the best events, dumb down the coverage, and put in random feel good stories for primetime. I've never had any issue with it before. But now with 6 TV channels covering the Olympics all day, it seems silly to show every minute of water polo, football, basketball, and volleyball on TV, but not the events with the most broad US appeal. It makes the most sense to me to put the full 5 hours of gynmastics on TV and toss other nations playing crappy basketball onto an internet stream. People who want gymnastics trimmed down and made more digestable will still tune in at primetime. I think the "we can't show it live because we want you tuning in at night" works for swimming where the races are short, but not for gymnastics. Also, I'm glad they're using the internet to steam everything, however taking down swimming and gymnastics replays afterward is very uninternety.

I watched 3 of the gymnastics rotations live online today, and really preferred the live coverage to the scripted stuff showing now. The commentary was genuine and more technical on the live stream. The primetime coverage is more Gymnastics for Dummies. The live stream's commentary had reactions that were real and in the moment. To me, it was more exciting to watch when the commentators were gasping, ooohing and aaahing, and getting emotional during particularly great or poor performances. None of that was in the primetime package.

EDIT: Got curious and looked up whom the live commentators are. They're generic Olympic Broadcast Network peeps. I've heard that the NBC gymnastics commentators are considered to be some of the worst in the world, but now I get to compare and agree! I'm loving the live stream option this year.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Well one of the gymnastic commentators is a former Gymnist himself. I vaguely remember him since he was the guy who had the muscles in his leg torn during live olympic competition.

Seems all of yesterdays women and Div 1 Men Floor is up.
    sig.gif

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Tim Daggett is actually not horrible when he is paired up with other people. He actually knows his stuff. Actually the entire trio for NBC is tolerable [but still horrible] when they commentate on Universal Sports. I feel like they are told to act like stupid commentators for the casual fans. In my opinion, instead of making sense of what's going on they make even less sense.
    edited July 2012
    Right. They're legit. They just don't add anything to what's going on and dumb down the information. The overall tone takes away from the momentous event rather than adding to it. I'd heard this said before, but after two days of listening to the OBN commentary, I've noticed myself the massive difference in tone and the quality of information provided.