If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy III Joins the Ouya

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited August 2012 in Latest Updates
In case you haven't heard, there is this thing called the Ouya coming out sometime in the future. No one knows what the name is supposed to mean, but Final Fantasy III is going to be on it, so we're interested.

[Link]

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    If the Ouya does well, and more mobile titles are added to it, I might just find myself getting it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited July 2012
    I just seen this and it does make me a little bit more interested in keeping my eye on ouya. But I'm definitely waiting to see if it gets something better than my least favourite FF game ever.... :D
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2012
    lolwhoops said:
    I just seen this and it does make me a little bit more interested in keeping my eye on ouya. But I'm definitely waiting to see if it gets something better than my least favourite FF game ever.... :D
    Must resist urge to turn this into a "how can you call that your least favorite FF game" debate...

More on topic, yeah, this is a sign that the Ouya might have some potential life in it. If Square announced that it would be porting be porting Chaos Rings to Android just for the Ouya, then it would be an even better sign. I'm not sure how well the platform will work, but it does seem interesting. It's gonna be a tough sell to ask me to buy a new console just to play games I already own or could buy with my iPhone, though.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Getting support from a huge publisher, even if it is one that likes to port their old games to everything short of a TI-82, is pretty big for this project. This is exciting.
    Rise!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2012
    I'm kinda hoping this does well, as it means there's a slight chance SE may think about bringing Before Crisis to the shores of NA for the Ouya.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Validity Level Up!
  • Lodor3Lodor3 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    It is considered the indie platform. The game industry is moving more towards indie side of things again so this should help push it even more in that direction. Especially if making games for it cost way less than it does for the big 3 (which doing so for the big 3 costs tons and many hoops to jump through).
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Since android is the base OS for this, wouldn't technically all android games be playable on the console in some form?
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Just gotta say one of two things pops into my head when I read the title of this system

1. The Kool Aid guy.
    2. Macho Man Randy Savage from the Slim Jim commercials.

Both of which say OH YEAH. Honestly thats what this thing makes me think everytime I see the name. OH YEAH
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I think of "Ooh-rah"
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    storino03 said:
    Since android is the base OS for this, wouldn't technically all android games be playable on the console in some form?
    This is what I was thinking. It's basically the equivalent of saying: Final Fantasy III is coming out for android. FF3 has the distinction of being a more "full"-featured sort of mobile game in comparison to a lot of offerings for mobile. It's not clear to me exactly who will adapt the game for those controls (since the mobile-port is touch-based), but considering the ephemeral nature of the console (and the fact Square didn't do the mobile versions themselves iirc) - I doubt it's Square.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    quick reation to kickstarter: dang pretty darn close to 6 million!

FF News: Well if the DS version looks good on my TV...but it probably won't...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Lodor3 said:
    It is considered the indie platform. The game industry is moving more towards indie side of things again so this should help push it even more in that direction. Especially if making games for it cost way less than it does for the big 3 (which doing so for the big 3 costs tons and many hoops to jump through).
    Not sure if I'd agree with that. There aren't exactly a lot of major publishers on mobile platforms, and the ones that are either crap out insubstantial throw-aways or the same ridiculous levels of excess that we see in much of the home console market. Honestly, "indie" gaming is more of a novelty than anything else, and I doubt it's going to overtake the larger titles any time soon.

Sorry, but Nintendo, Sony and MS, with their certification and anti-piracy measures, are going to continue being the mainstream of the game industry for the foreseeable future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    storino03 said:
    I think of "Ooh-rah"
    That Hoo-rah, and that only works for Marines
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2012
    TG Barighm said:
    Validity Level Up!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Still, I'm of the mind that this will turn out to be lacking in anti-piracy measures and lose any major publisher support it starts with. Or at least it won't get any major titles until years after their initial release.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2012
    watcher said:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Still, I'm of the mind that this will turn out to be lacking in anti-piracy measures and lose any major publisher support it starts with. Or at least it won't get any major titles until years after their initial release.
    Well, the Ouya folks are pretty committed to the system being moddable, so yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Wait a second, a console that uses TV and controller and plays mobile games!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

For those who know me, add: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some console developer must be reading these forums and decided to fulfill my wishes it seems.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited August 2012
    This does sound interesting... I am curious to hear what other titles get announced though.

Question: Is this the same thing that was revealed at E3...just using a tv to play your PC games... no download/install... just click and play? If its not the same thing... what was the thing at E3?
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Some console developer must be reading these forums and decided to fulfill my wishes it seems.
    Better get on to the Ouya thread in the Misc. section and check out the Firestarter so you can buy one.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    I'm kinda hoping this does well, as it means there's a slight chance SE may think about bringing Before Crisis to the shores of NA for the Ouya.
    No there isn't, and LOL! ^_^
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    This Ouya thing sounds like a console for old school-ish games, no?
    That... sounds... AWESOME!
  • retrodragonretrodragon Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    OUYA! hmmmm this is very interesting. If it really retails for around $100 then I would probably get one. But the one thing I can honestly say is that I love the IDEA of ouya even if I don't end up liking the actual product. The possibilities for a mod friendly console? Really fun. Brings me back to the good old days of mod chipping my psx so I could play imports haha.

and yeah, I'm all about the kool-aid man on this...
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com
    edited August 2012
    Daniel36 said:
    This Ouya thing sounds like a console for old school-ish games, no?
    That... sounds... AWESOME!
    No, actually it sounds like a console for people who want to play Android games on their TV (which is something you can already do).
    edited August 2012
    Not sure about Android games but connecting an iPad to your TV looks horrible.
    edited August 2012
    The iPad 2 could output at 720P and 1080P via HDMI (though perhaps not all apps supported this), and I imagine that the same is true of Tegra 3 Android tablets.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2012
    scorpio_7 said:
    Question: Is this the same thing that was revealed at E3...just using a tv to play your PC games... no download/install... just click and play? If its not the same thing... what was the thing at E3?
    No, that was Play-On, I believe.
    edited August 2012
    SiliconNooB said:
    The iPad 2 could output at 720P and 1080P via HDMI (though perhaps not all apps supported this), and I imagine that the same is true of Tegra 3 Android tablets.
    I tried to connect my iPad 2 with a HDMI cable to my TV screen and while I could see something the screen shown was only small part of the TV screen and also all the colours were messed up and it flickered.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited August 2012
    The Ouya interests me about as much as the prospect of becoming a parent. As such, my only response to the port of Final Fantasy III to the Ouya is to yawn. I prefer the big three console makers personally. I see the Ouya becoming micro-transaction hell. Thanks, but no thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business