If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

New Little King's Story Impression - Run to the Sun 2012

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited August 2012 in Latest Updates
The tiny iron fists of King Corobo have returned with a vengeance! Lay siege to kingdoms, marry many beautiful princesses, and generally be absolutely adorable in this Vita sequel.

Read the impression here
"It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Follow me on Twitter
Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Comments

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2012
    The apparent lack of interest in a LKS sequel fills me with all kinds of sad :(
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited August 2012
    Oh, I am interested in New Little King's Story. But so far, I have unfortunately little interest in the PS Vita beyond this.

Otherwise I could say Verde was more of a childhood friend than a girlfriend. And I hear your other childhood friend(/minister); Liam still makes an appearance to give the tutorial bits at the start (no idea what role he has after that though).
    edited August 2012
    silktail said:
    Oh, I am interested in New Little King's Story. But so far, I have unfortunately little interest in the PS Vita beyond this.

Otherwise I could say Verde was more of a childhood friend than a girlfriend. And I hear your other childhood friend(/minister); Liam still makes an appearance to give the tutorial bits at the start (no idea what role he has after that though).
    Unless
    Spoiler:
    you choose her as your princess near the end of the game
    . That always seemed like the right choice to me, anyways.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2012
    silktail said:
    That's where I am too. I don't buy a game system until it has a handful of games I want to play enough to warrant the purchase. I also haven't been as into handheld gaming for the last couple years as I used to be.

It is great to hear that the sequel is so similar to the original, which I was a huge fan of. The initial info about NLKS made it sound more like an ugly spinoff than a true sequel.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited August 2012
    I still haven't played the first game. It's sitting on my shelf waiting for me. Still, it is good to hear to hear the sequel is similar enough to the original.
    Reincarnation, realization
    edited August 2012
    I was actually worried about how it sounded too similar to the original at first (almost like a port with minor upgrades). But that was before the E3 trailer and all.
    omegabyte said:
    Unless
    Spoiler:
    you choose her as your princess near the end of the game
    . That always seemed like the right choice to me, anyways.
    That crossed my mind when I read the impression ... that it should be under spoiler warnings. ;)
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    So is this an actual sequel or just a remake of the original game? I thought it was a remake.

If its an actual new game, interest level rises 100%!
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2012
    That was my concern at E3. Sure, the game might rock, but the cross-over between people who own a Wii and a Vita is probably going to be miniscule.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2012
    Aurian said:
    So is this an actual sequel or just a remake of the original game? I thought it was a remake.

I don't think it's a full remake, but I've seen evidence of recycled bosses. I've been trying to get an idea of how much is the same as the first game and how much isn't, but haven't had much luck.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited August 2012
    Aurian said:

My impression of the beginning is that it's a sequel, not a remake.
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited August 2012
    Ocelot said:
    I don't think it's a full remake, but I've seen evidence of recycled bosses. I've been trying to get an idea of how much is the same as the first game and how much isn't, but haven't had much luck.
    Yeah I've been trying to find that out too.
    • It is a sequel with a new story (I think Corobo is something like 14 now.
      Spoiler:
      His kingdom gets destroyed, so you have to rebuild and find out what happened
      .)
    • Some of the jobs are replaced with new jobs.
    • Most of the princesses are different and it seems that you can have them join your group at some point. (Maybe that gives a support ability?)
    • However it does sound like they are reusing the boss fights (not sure which, or if it's all of them). They have shown new enemies and some of those could be new bosses or mini-bosses I suppose.
    • A lot of the landscape around the starting area looks the same to me, but I guess the new jobs come later, so there might be new obstacles(/puzzles) in other areas.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    You'd think they would be more clear about that :) I enjoyed the original game enough that I would be interested in playing a sequel but I don't really need to replay it on a new system.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    silktail said:
    That's my problem too. Just from the objective standpoint(sorry guys I took a step back from being totally against Sony this time) the vita is pretty darn overpriced vs. the 3DS[price drop] and uses overpriced memory cards. If I was enough of a reverse engineer/smart enough I'd make knock off Vita memory cards and sell'em....which is what I hope someone does...
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    I still haven't played the first game. It's sitting on my shelf waiting for me. Still, it is good to hear to hear the sequel is similar enough to the original.
    I picked up my copy out of the bargain bin at Toys R Us and got stuck on a particularly nasty poison mushroom quest boss. I haven't gone back since loosing to that thing 10 times in a row!

That said I really should go back and do a mess of resource collecting and level up my troops because I'm sure it would help...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    I lost three times in a row on the quiz boss and then gave up.

I actually beat the poison mushroom (not on the first try, of course). It looks like you can get wizards there but...I have no idea how to do it. Everything else was fairly straightforward. Either way, _nothing_ will be able to help me beat the quiz boss.
    edited August 2012
    flamethrower said:
    I lost three times in a row on the quiz boss and then gave up.

I actually beat the poison mushroom (not on the first try, of course). It looks like you can get wizards there but...I have no idea how to do it. Everything else was fairly straightforward. Either way, _nothing_ will be able to help me beat the quiz boss.
    Actually, there's a very easy way to beat the quiz boss. Go into it with an army of cooks. That way, if you DO get a question wrong, the cooks can take care of the chicken assault.

It was a pain, I remember that boss well. But cooks are the key to that fight.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2012
    Oh god that fight. I eventually won it, but yeah, it's painful. Wish I'd thought of the army of cooks!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance