If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Agarest: Generations of War 2

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited October 2012 in Latest Updates
Staff attempts at playing through the previous games in the Agarest series met with failure, but victory has been attained at the third time of asking. Was it all worth it?

[ AKA Record of Agarest War 2 for the North Americans ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited October 2012
    You didn't answer the most important question: Is there a turn limit?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    BRAVO GOOD SHOW MATE

The battle streamlining is good to know now I actually kinda want this game.

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited October 2012
    I'm still worried about the overly complex. Why can't it just be Valkyrie Profile? It looks similar enough alright.

Also did you play the game with a walkthrough? What difficulty? How do you even know how to get the true ending? Also saying that there is a true ending kinda spoils the game, because then you want to achieve it and when you try to you just get frustrated.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    There isn't a turn limit but there is a counter that goes up with story advancement and any events/quests that are done (normal battles don't contribute), it's high enough to not be restrictive but you can go over it (at which point you can't do any of the non-directly required events).

True endings are included in all the Agarest games (and usually considered the canon endings) so I felt it is worth mentioning. I did occasionally look at a True End guide to see if there were any required events that could be easily missed (there are).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited October 2012
    Hmm so basically there is a turn limit, but you can't exceed it, you simple can't do optional stuff anymore when you reach it.

I really hated in the original that just by grinding a lot you missed out on most of the game. I think I will like this one a lot, since now you can grind for years and still not miss out on scenes. :-)
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited October 2012
    It looks so Xedge now.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I don't normally like tactical RPGs, so this game probably wouldn't make me start liking them.
  • GokuryuGokuryu Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Agarest war I I liked, mostly tactics style <3