If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Mugen Souls

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited October 2012 in Latest Updates
The latest game from Idea Factory and NIS America features a cast of crazy characters on an adventure to conquer the universe. Find out within if this game is crazy good or if it will drive you mad.

Staff Review - Mugen Souls

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    You make me very sad, Wheels
    (Also, who is too much moe a negative? That's a total positive!)
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    great review. I seriously just don't get the appeal of these boring lazy jrpgs that the Compile Heart/Gust/NISA machine keeps churning out every couple months.
    I'd like to hope its just that they fill the void from the limited amount of quality jrpgs on the ps3.

I can't imagine people actually enjoying these games for what they are. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    Paws said:
    You make me very sad, Wheels
    This game made me very sad
    Paws said:
    (Also, who is too much moe a negative? That's a total positive!)
    Too much of a good thing then?
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    There is no such thing as too much moe.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I have the LE/Figure set preordered as it's a NISA title (of which I've gotten every single one as of the last couple of years)
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I agree that all those Compile Heart/Gust/NISA games suck big times (except Ar Tonelico... and Agarest is at least acceptable), but Moe and Grinding are still good points for me. =p
    edited October 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    I agree that all those Compile Heart/Gust/NISA games suck big times (except Ar Tonelico... and Agarest is at least acceptable), but Moe and Grinding are still good points for me. =p
    Grinding was not a negative point on its own, as with a good battle system grinding can actually be a lot of fun. The point was that combat was boring and tedious which is exacerbated by the extent of grinding required.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    I pre-order these like I always do, but ouch, this one was really hammered here haha.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited October 2012
    It is unfortunate whenever a game comes out and falls flat on its face. As there did appear to be qualities to the game that could have been really good.
    Excellent review, too bad the game gets a fail!
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I stopped preordering Idea Factory games after CrossEdge which was dreadful, and Trinity Universe, which was an OK game, but not worthy of future attention.

Wow, a lower score than Cross Edge. It must be truly abysmal.

I'm glad I didn't preorder this one. I'm certainly hoping that the NIS knights game will be better. :)
  • Lodor3Lodor3 Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I always tend to buy these nisa games and like them all for the most part.

I think you just need a certain kind of tolerance for the odd humor and grinding to be able to play through some of them fully.
    edited October 2012
    Lodor3 said:
    I always tend to buy these nisa games and like them all for the most part.

I think you just need a certain kind of tolerance for the odd humor and grinding to be able to play through some of them fully.
    I love odd humor and have no problem with games with heavy grinding. Like I said a few posts up, the issue wasn't the grinding itself, it was the fact that the battle system was awful, which was then made worse by grinding causing you to spend the majority of the time in combat.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I know it had a few faults (well I wouldn't of called them faults) but a 1, its hardly unplayable
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • SBabySBaby New Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, alot of people were complaining about the amount of grinding that you have to do in the game, and alot of it does herald back to the complaints about grinding in other games made by this company. Then again, they're RPGs so there's going to be grinding in them. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting there...

So was it a fair review? Well, that's a tough question to answer. Because even though I don't think I would personally give the game a 1/5, I can still understand where the reviewer is coming from on alot of issues that were brought up. I think alot of it depends on personal preference, and that isn't going to be the same with any two people.

I suppose the best thing I can say is that these kind of games are sort of an acquired taste.
    edited October 2012
    hoktomaster said:
    I know it had a few faults (well I wouldn't of called them faults) but a 1, its hardly unplayable
    A score of 1 does not mean unplayable. From our scoring definitions page:
    Any game that receives an overall score of '1.0' should be considered extremely poor in almost all regards. Any individual item score that garners a '1' represents an aspect of the game that is very badly presented or otherwise shows an obvious lack of effort on the part of the developers.
    SBaby said:
    Yeah, alot of people were complaining about the amount of grinding that you have to do in the game, and alot of it does herald back to the complaints about grinding in other games made by this company. Then again, they're RPGs so there's going to be grinding in them. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting there...
    Again for the third time, the issue with the grinding is that I found the battle system to be quite poor, and thus a heavy amount of grinding requires you to suffer through even more of the battles.
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    To think you made all that effort typing only to have me show up and complain about there being no acute accent in Japanese.

*insert joke about acute moe here*
    I miss my old prettiful sig.
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    If this is anything like what i saw of that last Neptunia game, the loading times must be awful.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Maybe if they release it on PSN, it'll have better loading times?
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
    edited October 2012
    kazriko said:
    I stopped preordering Idea Factory games after CrossEdge which was dreadful, and Trinity Universe, which was an OK game, but not worthy of future attention.

Wow, a lower score than Cross Edge. It must be truly abysmal.

I'm glad I didn't preorder this one. I'm certainly hoping that the NIS knights game will be better. :)
    Why do you think particularly Cross Edge was the worst of the Idea Factory games?

What I found most horrible in Cross Edge was that the whole game mechanics haven't been polished at all. It feels like you always need 10 more button presses than an innovative interface would require. Like for example to see if you can attack a monster, you first have to move to every tile and browse around the monsters to see if they are attackable from that position. Not to mention that you can't just move by pressing the control stick, no you first have to open the menu and choose "move" and then select where you want to move.

I wonder if the battle system in Mugen Souls is really that tedious? I found they slightly improved their interfaces over time.

@storino03
    What's the difference between PSN and installing the game from disc, though?
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Every time this game's name comes up I become mildly enthusiastic, and then I remember it's not actually a From Software game.
    edited October 2012
    storino03 said:
    Maybe if they release it on PSN, it'll have better loading times?
    Unlikely. The game has a data install option, and during these bad loading times I could see the hard drive light flashing, so I don't think a psn release would solve this issue as it wasn't a matter of slow blu-ray disc read.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    Ryumoau said:
    great review. I seriously just don't get the appeal of these boring lazy jrpgs that the Compile Heart/Gust/NISA machine keeps churning out every couple months.
    I'd like to hope its just that they fill the void from the limited amount of quality jrpgs on the ps3.

I can't imagine people actually enjoying these games for what they are. :/
    I have to totally agree with you. I've been too much of a sucker for these games, and being disappointed too often. I've put my foot down! I'm no longer buying this crapola!!!
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Oh wow. I mean, I never expected the game to be Absolutely Fantastic, but I never expected it to get as bad as 1.0/5.

Guess I should cancel my preorder then (I ordered it through PlayAsia with some other stuff that hasn't been released yet, so I can still do that).

This review saved me $50.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
    edited October 2012
    jcservant said:
    I have to totally agree with you. I've been too much of a sucker for these games, and being disappointed too often. I've put my foot down! I'm no longer buying this crapola!!!
    This thread makes me want to rate all my PS3 exclusive games now... let's see...

Compile Heart/Gust/NISA group (from best to worst):

Ar Tonelico 3 - 3.5 - Quite fun game, but not as good as its prequels, love the music
    Disgaea 3 - 2.5 - Nice humor, but geo panel puzzles annoy the hell out of me, not as good as its prequels, always the same...
    Agarest War - 2.0 - Bad gameplay, way too hard, time limit, but points for good graphics, really hot girls and at least remotely interesting story, good music
    Neptunia MK2 - 1.5 - Plays a bit better, but still really boring story and monotoneous gameplay, incredibly boring dungeons, good music
    Cross Edge - 1.5 - Horrible interface, at least kinda playable and I like the graphic style and music; boring story
    Atelier Totori - 1.0 - Not fun, no story, nothing interesting happens, forces you into doing item crafting, time limit

Not Compile Heart/Gust/NISA group:

Tales of Graces - 4.0 - One of the better Tales of... games, but not the best, still like the first three more
    Valkyria Chronicles - 3.0 - Quite enjoyable, good idea, downsides are the high difficulty and too strong dependence on luck
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:

Atelier Totori - 1.0 - Not fun, no story, nothing interesting happens, forces you into doing item crafting, time limit
    You obviously never made it to the part where the search for mom picks up. There are epic battles with sea serpents, tearjerker plot twists, and one really nasty demon for a true final boss.
  • ShuuShuu Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Agarest War - 2.0 - Bad gameplay, way too hard, time limit, but points for good graphics, really hot girls and at least remotely interesting story, good music
    While I'll certainly agree that Agarest's gameplay wasn't the best in the world (I got weary of it by generation 2), I think you brought up the turn limit/time limit as a factor before in another thread. I'm not sure if you were aware, but if you opt to grind in dungeons, rather than the world map, then the turn limit is a moot point: You can grind endlessly for hours without having any adverse effect.
    I'm going to side with Gaijin here. The time limit/item crafting thing is definitely a matter of personal taste (..though why anyone would ever play an Atelier game and have this complaint escapes me), but the game certainly does have a story, and quite a bit interesting happens. I think the charm in Totori comes more in the fact that the character development and individual interactions with the main cast is key. You do have to dig in a nontraditional way for the story, but simply saying "no story" is quite inaccurate.

You make some points on the other ones, but Ar Tonelico 3.. well, you're certainly more accepting of that game than I was. I thought it was absolutely mediocre and found the Reyvateils in this one rather boring, but then again, 2 is a hard act to follow.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, if you don't like games based around item crafting, don't play Atelier games... but for what they are, the Arland series Atelier games are fantastic.

But none of this has to do with Mugen Souls, so we should probably steer the thread back on topic.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited October 2012
    Shuu said:
    You make some points on the other ones, but Ar Tonelico 3.. well, you're certainly more accepting of that game than I was. I thought it was absolutely mediocre and found the Reyvateils in this one rather boring, but then again, 2 is a hard act to follow.
    2 is a hard act to follow for sure, but after 2's unique battle system, the one in 3 was way too generic
    Ocelot said:
    Yeah, if you don't like games based around item crafting, don't play Atelier games... but for what they are, the Arland series Atelier games are fantastic.

But none of this has to do with Mugen Souls, so we should probably steer the thread back on topic.
    OK back on topic:

edited October 2012
    I think all of those games sucking is certainly part of Mugen Souls sucking as well, so why not discuss it?

At least let me reply and make some corrections:
    I'm not sure if you were aware, but if you opt to grind in dungeons, rather than the world map, then the turn limit is a moot point: You can grind endlessly for hours without having any adverse effect.
    This is not true, every battle you do in dungeons will increase your turn count by 1, at least in the European version.
    though why anyone would ever play an Atelier game and have this complaint escapes me
    Simple: I played Atelier Iris 1-3 and all were great with an epic story and crafting only as additional feature that was fairly optional (at least you didn't need to invest much time into it if you didn't want to) and hoped to find something similar in it's sequels.
    Well I said myself that Ar Tonelico 2 was better (I'd rate it 4.0 or 4.5), but Ar Tonelico 3 is still above average even if it's just because of the battle system and those emotion worlds (cosmosphere?), so I think 3.5 is quite accurate.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Idea Factory have been hit(OK hit is a strong word, kinda good) and miss for me. Agarest, mk2, and Trinity Universe kept my attention long enough to finish them.
    Cross Edge and Agarest Zero were okay but ended up boring me.
    Hyperdimension Neptunia was just bad.

I'm waiting on a price drop now for Agarest 2 and Mugen Souls. Or maybe if I resubscribe to Gamefly any time soon I can give them a rental.