If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disney bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion

MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws!Full Members
edited January 2013 in Entertainment
I'm surprised there isn't a thread yet, but Disney now owns all things starwars. And indiana jones. And ILM.

Luke Skywalker could show up in a Kingdom Hearts game now. That could be rad.

But more importantly, disney can hire the very best writers and directors for the new trilogy, which they've already got planned, and with little to no interference from George Lucas.

Thoughts?
sup?

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2012
    Once again...
    As I said elsewhere...
    Depends on who they get running the show. If they get the guy behind the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, they could turn out REALLY well. If not, I expect disaster. Also, I'm going to ask the most important questions of all...WHO WILL THEY GET TO REPLACE MARK HAMILL AND HARRISON FORD!?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2012
    What thread is that in bud?
    sup?
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I originally brought this up in "Say Anything".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited October 2012
    ok found it, so someone can kill this thread if they like, or post, whatever is fine.
    sup?
    edited October 2012
    I probably won't kill this, as it still serves a purpose.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ZeraseZerase Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    So I don't know a whole lot lot about Star Wars and whether or not this is even possible, but what if they came up with a completely new story for Star Wars? Like put in a nod to the old stuff of course but did new characters, a new threat. I understand how well this could turn out could depend on how well it's done, but say it's actually done well? Would you find yourself insisting on hating it because it wasn't the original or would you give it a chance?
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

edited October 2012
    I'd give it a chance, but they'd need to pull off something as amazing as Star Trek to get the ball rolling again for me.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Once again...

I think Nathan Fillion would make a good replacement for Harrison Ford :)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Well, if the new trilogy is supposed to be about the same characters at an older age, I don't see why they should replace the actors. Then again, Ford was lame in the new Indiana Jones movie, so that may not be a good idea.

A movie exploring the origins of the force could be cool (ignore any canon that makes that story alien centric).
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    first reaction: The Disney juggernaut can't be stopped

Second: Maybe we'll finally get a Monkey Island movie(or another game) if they bought Lucasarts too!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited October 2012
    So now they will ruin Star Wars like they ruined Marvel Comics. Worse news ever heard...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I did not know that Disney owned Marvel. Always preferred DC anyway. Better writers imho.
    I can't say I'm surprised that they've announced sequals. Disney is a repeat offender of making needless sequals. Though in fairness I only enjoyed one third of the SW prequals. I agree that creatively if Lucas' involvement is truly minimal and they get ezactly the right person in, then they could revitalise the series. SW ihmo, needs somebody prepared to take risks. Less special effects more story. I have always felt Lucas' biggest crime was not the adding of new footage to old footage, not the Ewoks, not making Greedo shoot first or even the casting of the "new" Fetts, but the almost complete fumblimg(And believe me when I wish I could swear here) of Vader's origin story. Since. I don't want to descend into rant mode here, I'll leave off.
    edited October 2012
    Second: Maybe we'll finally get a Monkey Island movie(or another game) if they bought Lucasarts too!

Ooh...good point. Fits well within Disney's wheelhouse.
    edited October 2012
    first reaction: The Disney juggernaut can't be stopped

Especially since they own Juggernaut.
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    So now they will ruin Star Wars like they ruined Marvel Comics. Worse news ever heard...

Ewoks and Jar Jar. That is all I need to say on the matter.
    A movie exploring the origins of the force could be cool (ignore any canon that makes that story alien centric).

I don't know about a movie, but a series of books exploring the first Jedi and their discovery of the Force, followed by its development into a religion would be interesting. Now to continue our little "fighting words" from Say Anything:
    On the bright side, Disney is much more likely to use an established book series as the foundation for the new movies, so it's possible we'll get the Thrawn trilogy. Lucas is apparently super anal about using anyone else's ideas, so that would probably never happen.

First of all, there is already discrpencies between George Lucas' original vision and what has happened in the movies. The Empire Strikes Back Novel actually states that an enemy of the Republic in the Clone Wars were the Mandalorians. Although according to the Clone Wars series, the Mandalore did eventually align with the Confederation of Independent Systems, technically more Mandalorians were fighting FOR the Republic. The Clone Troopers were all clones of Jengo Fett, and taught their fighting styles and culture. However, it could be implied with the lack of details in the original trilogy about the Clone Wars, and the inclusion of that tasty tid bit, the Mandalore were originally the sole enemy in the Clone Wars. Not a solid case, but I doubt George Lucas had intergalactic trade guilds lead by a Sith Lord, and using massive armies of robots in mind as the grand enemy of the great Clone Wars back in the 70's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2012
    I find myself largely indifferent to the purchase. Well, good luck to Disney in managing the Star Wars franchise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm hopeful but also mostly indifferent to the news. I'll watch the new movies when they come out for sure though.

I got the impression that the next trilogy will be a continuation of the original Star Wars trilogy. But, after that, they intend to release a new movie every 2-3 years with new stories. So, that has potential. I'll save getting excited though until we see a few entries.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Personally I think they have done great with the Marvel series movies.

Avengers was AWESOME. Thor was a setup for Avengers. Captain America is a good movie.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited November 2012
    LordKaiser wrote: »

yeah because starwars wasn't already ruined by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXp8T097vjc

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB4Lu-99jmk

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbrpqWkNqyo

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfDmu4f8l8I

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS4B_mQtvo

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

shall I continue? I'm sure we could do this all night. There's plenty of material.
    sup?
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited November 2012

Bad news for anyone hoping for an adaption of previous material.
    edited November 2012
    but a series of books exploring the first Jedi and their discovery of the Force, followed by its development into a religion would be interesting.

Blarg. I don't have time to read books anymore.
    First of all, there is already discrpencies between George Lucas' original vision and what has happened in the movies.

Hey, if he was more open minded, great, but I still keep seeing people saying Lucas had a bad habit of tweaking licensed games/books/whatever because it doesn't fit canon or whatever.

But hey, I actually liked the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks and I think most of the criticism is just your usual fanboy tears, so feel free to ignore me.

Not sure why some people think Disney will do so much better. Sure, they may open Star Wars up a bit, and we may see some franchise revivals now, but they're not better than say, EA, in terms of their business practices. Heck, they're really putting the screws to Pixar right now.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'd love to see Disney allow Obsidian to develop another KOTOR game.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • bmesickbmesick New Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Lucas is just a bad writer. The movies themselves already contradict each other, and are riddled with horrible dialog. The old ones *are* better.

Star Wars in general has kind of soured on me. I like the universe for the most part, but I don't particularly think that pure evil villains are very interesting. It always devolves into the same idiotic philosophical battles that don't apply to real life. Star Wars in the new movies took itself way too seriously and had a laughable storyline, dialog and characters.

Disney can save it, though. Even their non-Pixar team created Tangled, which is a delightful film. The writing is so much better in Disney films than anything Lucas can come up with. And if there is romance to be had, keep Lucas in a galaxy far far away from the script. Just thinking about Anakin and Padme's dialog makes me ill. Even the worst of B movies have better dialog than that.

So, I'll watch them. Anything Lucas touches these days turns to crap.
    edited November 2012
    Also lets be frank Lucas KNOWS he's a terrible director. That's part of why he was trying to higher some one else to Direct the movies. No one took him up on it though so he ended up directing it.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited November 2012
    bmesick wrote: »
    Star Wars in general has kind of soured on me. I like the universe for the most part, but I don't particularly think that pure evil villains are very interesting. It always devolves into the same idiotic philosophical battles that don't apply to real life. Star Wars in the new movies took itself way too seriously and had a laughable storyline, dialog and characters.

This is why I keep pimping the Thrawn Trilogy. Thrawn is more ambiguously evil, but at the same time, very human (even if he is alien). He doesn't just kill subordinates who fail him. Actually, in one case, he promoted an officer that tries a novel technique but fails in the process. Thrawn just tells him to perfect it. He is also more likely to order a retreat than to needlessly sacrifice men and ships (well, except the Noghri, they are meat puppets to him). However, he is still focused on destroying the fledgling New Republic, and destroyed an entire alien race because he didn't understand their art (well, they aren't necessarily connected, but both parts are true). On the good side is Mara Jade. A former Imperial assasain who took her orders through the Force from the Emperor himself. That includes his final, while falling to his death, order "YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER!". She pretty much ignores it for the better part of 5 years, then gets stuck having to save his life over and over again. Then there are the politicians. Garm Bel Iblis helped form the Rebellion, then pretty much ran his own war against the Empire because he had a beef with Mon Mothma (AKA the "only other woman in the galaxy" in Family Guy's "It's a Trap!"). Even after Endor, he refused to join with the Alliance. Then there are the Bothans. Back stabbing, manipulative, and otherwise unsavory in a political theater. Think the worst piece of scum politician you can think of *coughmitchmcconnelcough* and make them look like they came from the Planet of the Apes. Hell, even Darth Vader has some kind of redemption, being seen as a savior for the Noghri, even if he was probably the source of the disaster that they needed to be saved from. There is a lot of gray in the Thrawn trilogy. Actually, the black and white is more the exception. You don't have the "Anakin/Vader lightswitch" (seriously, he goes evil at the flip of a switch only to go good, again at the flip of a switch).

Plus, it wasn't written by George Lucas! He did have some input into the story though. The original timing of the Clone Wars talked about in the Thrawn Trilogy was actually the timeline George Lucas gave to Timothy Zahn in 1991. He also declined Zahn's request to call the Noghri the Sith. At the time, there was no explanation yet for why Darth Vader's title was Dark Lord of the Sith. At the time, any evil Force user was simply known as a "Dark Jedi". It was only later that the term "Sith" was applied to Dark Jedi. Later on, Zahn's original idea of a a technologically inferior race being called the Sith was written, and a group of Dark Jedi conquered them, becoming known as the Sith Lords.

Dremmy: With all respect, even the video admits that speculation of an original written script is purely rumor, and that anyone in the know is sworn to secrecy. However, both Mara Jade (unlockable character in Masters of Teras Kasi, kind of a mix between Luke and Vader) and Grand Admiral Thrawn (next to Palapatine and Vader, easily the most important commander in TIE Fighter) are featured in LucasArts produced games. Grand Admiral Thrawn (Vice Admiral at the beginning of the game) is especially critical to the storyline. His promotion to Grand Admiral is actually one of the cut scenes in the expansion. And, to fight rumor with rumor, there was some talk floating around that Mara Jade would be in the background crowd in Jabba's Palace in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi (I know the hate here, they screwed way too much with it, but come on, the Empire that built two planet killing space stations was beaten by the missing link between a bear rug and Teddy Rucksbin).
    But hey, I actually liked the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks and I think most of the criticism is just your usual fanboy tears, so feel free to ignore me.

Read this to understand why SO many people have a problem with Jar Jar Binks. Granted, I probably liked the Ewoks at one point, but that was when I first saw RoJ, in 1983. I was an infant, and teddy bears are always in vogue. However, I will bring up a puppet that NO ONE EVER brings up. Lando's co-pilot on the Millennium Falcon. Seriously, what was the point? Did George Lucas have a puppet quota and need to just get one more on screen? There was absolutely no reason for him to be there.

Also, I think this should for ever be considered cannon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    May I say that to me everything in Star Wars to me, at my current age is .... MEH

Sure I LOVED the movies when I was kid ... but now they're just another movie. Nothing overly special. Better then many out their but still ... just simply movies.
    sig.gif

edited November 2012
    Also lets be frank Lucas KNOWS he's a terrible director. That's part of why he was trying to higher some one else to Direct the movies. No one took him up on it though so he ended up directing it.

Well, according to him in that documentary released with one of the Star Wars collections, he didn't want to direct because it was too much work and the stress was ruining his health and his marriage.

I'm actually surprised the acting was so bad in the new trilogy. They went through hell and back trying to find the right actors for the first movie and they ended up picking the right people. What went wrong?
    Read this to understand why SO many people have a problem with Jar Jar Binks.

Oh, I know all of that stuff. It's just people taking things way too seriously or making connections for the sake of finding reasons to bash the movie as far as I'm concerned.
    edited November 2012
    Oh, I know all of that stuff. It's just people taking things way too seriously or making connections for the sake of finding reasons to bash the movie as far as I'm concerned.

Trust me, it's a gigantic sore point for people in the US (well, except klansmen, but people who hang around 20 foot tall burning pieces of wood wearing bedsheets head to toe are just asking for evolution to take care of them). I would hardly call a legal scholar and a The Wall Street Journal writer (why does the WSJ even have a film critic?) rabid fanboys. There were real cultural issues with Jar Jar. At least in the US.

Also, just to diffuse Godwin's Law, Emperor Palapatine is like Hitler. That is all. Actually, he really is. Palapatine scapegoated a religious order then sought to exterminate them. Although, Palapatine is more merciful in that the Jedi weren't rounded up like animals and slowly starved or gassed to death. Ie. Hitler is still more evil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeraseZerase Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Ha totally called it on that original story!
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Trust me, it's a gigantic sore point for people in the US (well, except klansmen, but people who hang around 20 foot tall burning pieces of wood wearing bedsheets head to toe are just asking for evolution to take care of them). I would hardly call a legal scholar and a The Wall Street Journal writer (why does the WSJ even have a film critic?) rabid fanboys. There were real cultural issues with Jar Jar. At least in the US.

Jar Jar is clearly a Negro stereotype - I would find this hilarious if he wasn't so annoying.

That said, Squaresoft were probably equally as guilty of leveraging this stereotype for the Hypello.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited November 2012
    I would hardly call a legal scholar and a The Wall Street Journal writer (why does the WSJ even have a film critic?) rabid fanboys. There were real cultural issues with Jar Jar. At least in the US.

Jar Jar is clearly a Negro stereotype - I would find this hilarious if he wasn't so annoying.

Nope. Can't accept that. Sorry, it's gonna take a lot more than a funny voice and a funky gait to convince me there was ill will there. If EVERY Gungan in the movie was portrayed exactly the way as defined in the article Aquila linked, MAYBE you'd have a point, but the rest of the culture was portrayed as hard working, innovative, and courageous warriors. Heck, even Jar Jar didn't go that far. He never struck me as stupid or lazy (as outlined in that article), but clumsy and cowardly, yet still helpful wherever possible. Basically your standard amusing sidekick...or is every other sidekick in history racist? Maybe something should be said about the clearly stereotypical portrayal of the English as butlers (C3PO), or little people as feisty (R2D2).

The only hate here is that which was created by the haters. Haters gonna hate. I'd much rather just enjoy a movie. I've got too many white hairs already to make a big deal about nothing.

Oh, and I don't care who wrote that article. Scholars can be fanboys too. By that logic, we must also assume Lucas is an excellent film maker, probably one of the best ever because...well, you know. He made movies. Most of which sold very well and are generally well liked. Heck of a better pedigree than most of the so-called great filmmakers.
    Also, just to diffuse Godwin's Law, Emperor Palapatine is like Hitler. That is all. Actually, he really is. Palapatine scapegoated a religious order then sought to exterminate them. Although, Palapatine is more merciful in that the Jedi weren't rounded up like animals and slowly starved or gassed to death. Ie. Hitler is still more evil.

Nah, I don't do that. And I wouldn't argue with that. Palpatine may be like Hitler. He's a totally evil dude either way and the movies did a perfectly decent job of setting him up as a guy you want to hate, plus I enjoyed figuring out how Palpatine was using the senate to worm his way into power (I figured it out after the first movie)...or is that a racist portrayal of Germans? They're not all like Hitler, you know.

Btw, I hope this doesn't seem like I'm angry or anything. I just disagree with the prevailing sentiment regarding Jar Jar is all. I've seen a lot more said about his annoying voice, and although I found him kind of funny, I can see how he could sound annoying.