If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disney bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion

2»

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    You're right, by gum! And I bet if Jar Jar was depicted by a black actor instead of by a CG character model it would have gone down a real treat!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    And I bet if Jar Jar was depicted by a black actor instead of by a CG character model it would have gone down a real treat!

Knowing how people are, if they had put ANY person of ANY ethnicity in that role, someone would complain about THAT race being poorly portrayed.

And Jar Jar was voiced by a black man btw (Ahmed Best). Now, if there is a quote from Lucas saying that yes, that is exactly how he intended to portray Jar Jar...well, that's an entirely different story.

Now, before this discussion gets WAY off topic...are there any other candidates for inspiration beyond the Thrawn trilogy? Or does it matter now that they've announced they're going with an original script? Not like it's impossible they could change their mind.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited November 2012
    If they decide to not use the Thrawn trilogy, I'd like to see some Dark Empire action on screen. I quite enjoyed that series.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to see some Dark Empire action on screen

What's that one about?
    But will this get us Star Wars: Battlefront III?

Or KotoR 3, but does Lucasarts have the ability to transfer licenses like that? Bioware gave Obsidian the license for the sequel, but can Lucasarts pull it away from EA long enough to give 3 to Obsidian? Assuming they're not still butthurt over how they handled 2, but I imagine Disney won't care.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Dark Empire takes place about 6 years after Endor, and focuses on the return of Palapatine. He's been cloned and, returned to his pre-Mace Windu *** whoopin'. Leia is pragnent... again (this time with Anakin). Oh, and the Mon Calamari homeworld is being stripped by giant planet devouring super factories. The only problem with adapting Dark Empire is that it is HEAVILY dependent on the Thrawn Trilogy. In fact, because of how the EU authors have worked EU together, it is near impossible to have a near RoJ timeline that disregards Thrawn Trilogy. That isn't a mistake either. George Lucas hasn't allowed EU stories that haven't flowed from the established Thrawn path.

As for other material, according to this, Lucas planned for the trilogies to be set about 20 years apart. That would be the Young Jedi Knights series or New Jedi Order. However, both are long series (YJK is 12 books long and NJO is over 20), and Young Jedi Knights would be along the story telling lines of Star Wars: the Clone Wars, except without the war. Both are also heavily dependent on the Thrawn Trilogy, and the follow up "Hand of Thrawn" books
    (Jaina and Jacen Solo are the main protagonists in YJK and coming into their own in NJO, and Mara Jade is a frekin' Jedi Master)
    . However, they do fit some of George Lucas' criteria. They are 20+ years after RoJ, Luke is older (duh), and he symbolically passes the lightsaber onto a new generation. Take a small step further, and you have the Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force series that lead to compelling near parity story of the first two trilogies. Oh, and no dark side light switches (it's actually a good slow acting dimmer switch).
    Btw, I hope this doesn't seem like I'm angry or anything. I just disagree with the prevailing sentiment regarding Jar Jar is all.

Never thought you were. Just a spirited debate. Anyway, the only reason for the "Hitler to Palapatine" analogy is because I expect this debate to go on for a while. Hell, we might not have any concrete info on Star Wars 7 until next summer. I literally only brought it up in order to try and beat statistics. Ie, too smart for my own good. AKA, so smart I'm a moron. :p

Other than Jar Jar, I actually liked the Gungans. An impressive society actually, especially since their cities were underwater. Hell, Jar Jar really isn't that bad in the other prequels. Partially because he didn't say a word in Ep. 3, and partially because he was instrumental in moving the plotline of Ep. 2. It's just his Ep. 1 antics that are both annoying and superficial (not to mention completely unnecessary). "The Phantom Edit" proves this pretty handedly, since it is just Ep. 1, with Jar Jar deleted like so much bad spam.
    But will this get us Star Wars: Battlefront III?

I just felt a great disturbance in my XBOX, as if a thousand hours of my life just disappeared in pointless yet addicting sci-fi combat. The only thing I can say is that I would have expected them to come out with one that has a heavy emphasis on SW: the Clone Wars worlds like they did with Lego Star Wars III.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited November 2012
    They are 20+ years after RoJ, Luke is older (duh), and he symbolically passes the lightsaber onto a new generation. Take a small step further, and you have the Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force series that lead to compelling near parity story of the first two trilogies.

That actually sounds like the best all around choice for a semi-original entry in a new trilogy: you get that "new beginnings" feel by watching some young Jedi rebuild the order, it allows you to cut the strings to the old trilogy (you'd have to pretend some things like Thrawn never happened, but it sounds doable), you get to have cameos from Hamill and the like without using them as a crutch, and it's generally more fun to watch the characters go from humble beginnings to hero anyway. Plus new devs always like to work from scratch when possible.
    It's just his Ep. 1 antics that are both annoying and superficial (not to mention completely unnecessary).

I can see how he is annoying, but I'm not sure about unnecessary. It's really no surprise Lucas wanted something for the kiddies, so he needed something like that for the new trilogy. He made a poor choice and went back to R2D2 (and I hope they keep him; C3PO didn't have the same spark in Ep.2 and 3). The fanboys may not like the tilt towards family friendly but...well, they better start getting used to it because Disney is kiddie kingdom. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced one of those mouse-like aliens as a character.

I remember someone mentioning they should bring J.J. Abrams into the fold because of the work he did on Star Trek, but I've been thinking and I don't think he would be a good fit for Star Wars. He worked well with Star Trek because of that series' focus on sci-fi, and as far as I know every one of his shows and movies I've seen have been similar, but Star Wars is more of a fantasy universe. I don't know how well Abrams works with a fantasy setting.
    edited November 2012
    I remember someone mentioning they should bring J.J. Abrams into the fold because of the work he did on Star Trek, but I've been thinking and I don't think he would be a good fit for Star Wars. He worked well with Star Trek because of that series' focus on sci-fi, and as far as I know every one of his shows and movies I've seen have been similar, but Star Wars is more of a fantasy universe. I don't know how well Abrams works with a fantasy setting.

Absolutely. Although I would characterize Abrams work more along the lines of suspense and thriller with a sci-fi twist (except for Alias of course). Think about it. Lost and Fringe are all about crypticness, Alias and Person of Interest are both high intensity crime dramas, and Cloverfield was a monster suspense and thriller where the monster was largely just a set piece. Although his style of dynamic interactions between the cast would make for a compelling story, way too much of the fantasy elements that made us fall in love with Star Wars in the first place would be lost in a wash of more fanciful technologies. And by fanciful, I mean shiny. Think Naboo spacecraft with big spinning gyroscopes all around it. As far as major mainstream directors, someone like Peter Jackson or James Cameron would be best.
    I can see how he is annoying, but I'm not sure about unnecessary. It's really no surprise Lucas wanted something for the kiddies, so he needed something like that for the new trilogy. He made a poor choice and went back to R2D2 (and I hope they keep him; C3PO didn't have the same spark in Ep.2 and 3). The fanboys may not like the tilt towards family friendly but...well, they better start getting used to it because Disney is kiddie kingdom. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced one of those mouse-like aliens as a character.

Jar Jar wasn't created for the "kiddies". Little kid Anakin was. Jar Jar was actually an attempt to reinvent Chewbacca. It failed so miserably that they had to actually bring back Chewbacca in penitence (ok ok, I made the last part up). However, I wouldn't say they went out of their way to make Star Wars more family friendly. It has alway been kind of family friendly even with it's violence. Think about it. If a Jedi dies, you don't tend to have a body. Fatal wounds don't exactly look painful, and when have you EVER seen blood in Star Wars. It has strong themes of good over evil, fellowship, and yes, religious overtones. Hell, I grew up on it, and is as far as I know, the first movie I ever saw was Return of the Jedi. Then again, I'm pretty screwed up. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    What's so nice about the opportunity for an Episode VII is that they don't have to reinvent any archetypes or the characters that represent them. I will buy a ticket to see a new Star Wars film featuring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher 30 years later. But they can't just be cameos, afterthoughts. The new trilogy really needs to feature them prominently, I think. I don't want to see Luke being a bad-*** Obi-Wan type and suddenly become a martyr and catalyst for Young Hip New Padawan's journey of self-discovery by the end of Ep. VII. I want him to sustain said bad-assness throughout the sequel trilogy. He can die in Ep. IX, that'd be fine and frankly we'd all expect it anyway, but there are many obvious situations that can't be retread in this new sequence of films.

On the other hand, if this will just be only a few years after RotJ, they would necessarily recast the old roles. And that just... yeah. I believe they succeeded with McGregor in the prequel trilogy, but such a perfect casting choice turned out to be the exception rather than the rule. Plus, they were casting in the opposite direction in terms of chronology. Recasting for sequels rarely works.

Then again, they may just as well toss out any continuity altogether and focus on a truly original story. But what would be the point of calling it Episode VII then?
    edited November 2012
    Jar Jar wasn't created for the "kiddies". Little kid Anakin was. Jar Jar was actually an attempt to reinvent Chewbacca. It failed so miserably that they had to actually bring back Chewbacca in penitence (ok ok, I made the last part up). However, I wouldn't say they went out of their way to make Star Wars more family friendly.

Without a direct quote from Lucas, I can't believe that. R2D2 is more Chewbacca than the clown that is Jar Jar, and the existence of a kid doesn't automatically scream "family fun!", so I have to assume that was Jar Jar's purpose (given many people assume animated funny characters = kid stuff). Given the darker nature of the new trilogy, being all about corruption and evil taking over...yeah, I'd see a need for some extra family flavour. Now, if it's true being the next Chewbacca WAS Jar Jar's purpose, then that would be a blunder and then I can knock Lucas down a peg.
    And I'm aware Star Wars was always meant to be more family friendly. Thought I did a better job implying it. Oh, well.
    I don't want to see Luke being a bad-*** Obi-Wan type and suddenly become a martyr and catalyst for Young Hip New Padawan's journey of self-discovery by the end of Ep. VII

Oh, lord...Mark Hamill playing the new, anime-like Jedi. That just seems...wrong to me. And now Jedi have specific styles. What would Luke's be? Clumsy, poorly-trained one handed lightsabre combat (joke, but Luke choosing to cast-off his robot hand and choosing to fight one handed would be an interesting quark and a nod to a certain samurai movie Lucas was trying to copy in the first place)? Aside from being a pretty boy and a good pilot, Luke never came off as being all that good at anything in the movies. Someone would have to create a specialty for him, and let's face it, nobody will be satisfied with whatever they decide to choose. It worked for Obi Wan in the first movie because we didn't know what he could do, so he could be as mysterious as he wanted and we would have to accept that because he's the old guy and old people are wise. Luke Skywalker? Blah. Stick to diplomacy and the odd bit of teaching and leave it at that.
    Mind you this is a highly personal opinion and probably not a fair one at that, but I just can't see an update of Luke Skywalker being anything else but a slight extension of the character he has always been without something going horribly wrong. I guess that depends a lot on what people thought of bada$$ Yoda in Ep.2. I have no idea what the prevailing view there is, but I'm sure we all wanted to see what was so great about Yoda, yet I still preferred the original puppet Yoda.
    edited November 2012
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Luke Skywalker? Blah. Stick to diplomacy and the odd bit of teaching and leave it at that.
    Mind you this is a highly personal opinion and probably not a fair one at that, but I just can't see an update of Luke Skywalker being anything else but a slight extension of the character he has always been without something going horribly wrong.
    Actually, I completely agree. I suppose the way I wrote it sounds like I want Luke taking out armies and tearing down fortresses with lots of backflips and flashy swordplay. To clarify, that isn't what I meant, and why I referred to Obi-Wan in the first place. Obi-Wan didn't do a lot of crazy Jedi stuff in Star Wars, which is what made him cool. Luke can do that too after taking down the Empire and having 30 years of quality wise-man time, and I think it would work. "diplomacy and the odd bit of teaching" would suit me just fine.
    I guess that depends a lot on what people thought of bada$$ Yoda in Ep.2. I have no idea what the prevailing view there is, but I'm sure we all wanted to see what was so great about Yoda, yet I still preferred the original puppet Yoda.
    Ugh. Ep2 practically ruined Yoda for me. His little ballroom dance scene with Dooku was just stupid.
    edited November 2012
    No, I didn't think you wanted a badarse Luke, I was just commenting on the idea.

And I think one combat scene with Yoda would have been enough to satisfy the masses, although I think repelling Force Lightning and telekinetically throwing stuff around would have been more than enough. It was already established that he's a master of telekinetics, so I don't think anyone would have had a problem with him throwing droids or his lightsabre around. Crazy raging frog mode was a little much though.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'd still them to do something with Lucasarts(which they did get as part of the deal) and for them we have:

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
    Maniac Mansion
    Monkey Island
    The Dig
    Grim Fandango
    Full Throttle
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited December 2012
    Sorry about the kind of necro here, but I have some relevant information about Star Wars 7. According to Reuters, Yavin 4 rebel base is coming back. It will be the site of a new Jedi Academy. This is directly in sync with the Extended Universe storyline. Luke Skywalker set up an academy at the ancient temple that housed the rebel base on Yavin 4. I'm not sure what books he began it there, but it was in the Young Jedi Knights books, nearly 20 years after RoJ. New Jedi Order takes place a little more than 20 years after RoJ. It's looking more and more like that's a possibility.

The part in question:
    Yavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi Knight academy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Nah. This is gonna be a long running story, so keep it coming.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2012
    The temple was set up in the Jedi Academy series (7 years after A New Hope).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited December 2012
    That's good to know. Like I said, I wasn't sure where on the timeline the Yavin 4 academy began. But the important thing is, after that academy begins, Luke tuns into the new "Yoda". However, SW7 will be in the same time frame of New Jedi Order. Here's what you get with NJO: An enemy impervious to the Force (I know how much some people loathe that idea), a whole bunch of Skywalker Jedi (Solos included), oh, and Boba Fett. That last one is a bigger selling point than you would think. Apparently George Lucas HATED Boba Fett and could not figure out why he was so beloved. During a Q&A session for the premiere of Red Tails, he went into a tirade where he reviled that he was pressured into adding Boba Fett (and by extension, Jengo Fett) into "Attack of the Clones" because of fans. Boba is the Mandelorian leader during NJO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Huh. Funny that. The origin of Boba Fett is the only good part of Ep.2.

I can see how Jedi Academy could be useful for introducing new characters for a new trilogy, but I sure hope they don't run with it for the whole trilogy. It sounds...kind of dumb.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    I agree TG. Maybe end the first movie of that trilogy with the Academy blowing up or something.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited December 2012
    That's why I'm thinking they will aim more for New Jedi Order. More action, new Jedi, and a compelling enemy that makes Palapatine look simple. Kind of an anti-CIS enemy (the bad guys' weapons are biologically based, as opposed to an army of droids).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Sorry about the double post, but there is some new information on SW7. First of all, the article I linked to before (the one on the Tikal ruins used in Episode IV) was misleading. Apparently the author messed up when he said that there were plans to include it in SW7 as a new Jedi academy. He was getting his information from fans who hoped that would be the case. Ie. we still don't have a lot of information.

However, I stumbled across this tasty tidbit of info that has a whole bunch o' info. Including, but not limited to: a list of potential directors, a possible title (A New Dawn), the development of Star Wars: Underground (the intra SW3-SW4 tv series), that SW10-12 would be focused on a female Skywalker lead, and that SW7-9 would be Luke focused. Granted, the story is a re-hash of what was said on another blog (original source) that looks poorly constructed, but this same guy using the apparent same source revealed that a new Star Wars Trilogy was planed where George Lucas would not have a commanding role back in October of 2009.

Finally, StarWars.com has a 5 part inteview up on YouTube with George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy. Not too much new here, but you get Lucas' thoughts on retiring. Although when talking in the first part about what he's leaving behind, Lucas said, "I have story treatments of 7,8, and 9 and a bunch of other movies. And obviously we have hundreds of books and comics and... everything you could possibly imagine. So, you know, I sorta move that treasure trove of stories and various things to Kathy (Kennedy), and I have complete confidence that she's gonna take 'em, and make great movies." So I would say that opens the possibility of an Extended Universe story being a possible source for SW7-9. That and the fact that the only timeline off limits to EU authors was the Clone War era and the early life of Anakin Skywalker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]