If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Pier Solar HD Kickstarted

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited April 2013 in Latest Updates
Interested in the 16 bit-style RPG Pier Solar, but don't have a Sega Genesis? WaterMelon Co. is giving gamers the chance to fund a version in HD.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, maybe I'll put down the money for a digital copy

The question is: Is it worth it?

"Checks ebay"

Yup, definitely worth it
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I originally was interested in that game, but it was sold for an extremely high price (I think it was like $60?) that made me to not want to support the game or the developers at all. The game looks like a game I'd pay 10€ or 15€ for, but not more.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I ended up buying a cart of this for a friend's birthday, and he absolutely loved it. Definitely going to put some towards this to get a PC copy for myself.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I think I'm going to have to back this one too. I've been interested in it since I first heard about it years ago, but I never got around to ordering it. A PC edition suits me just fine, plus the concept art for the HD upgrade looks excellent
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I have the Genesis version sealed and plan on getting the Dreamcast CE to keep sealed as well. I do hope they rework their pledge levels to incorporate a digital copy version. I'd probably get the Xbox one then.
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Another gem for the 360, but not the PS3.
    Bummer.
    edited November 2012
    Slayer said:
    Another gem for the 360, but not the PS3.
    Bummer.
    I seriously doubt that it's going to be that memory intensive. Even a low-end PC should be able to run it fine. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I could run it on my bloody netbook.

It's a 16-bit RPG. Even with an HD upgrade, it's still going to run on Dreamcast, so any PC made in the last ten years should be fine.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm actually interested but I don't know about any of the levels higher than just a copy of the game. Soundtracks are nice, but what's the sound like on an old school type game? And something about figurines or something, but what are they of? Hmmm....I think I just want a copy to play on my PC. like a steam copy or something, but I suppose I could see why someone might go for some of the slightly higher tiers.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2012
    When we first sat down to conceptualize Pier Solar HD, one of our initial goals was to adapt the new HD art direction with our preexisting 16-bit gameplay. We did this by merging the rich charm of retro sprites with crisp HD backgrounds. The sharp blend of each art style unites to provide an enchanting, aesthetic atmosphere never before seen. Sure, other developers have made "modernized" retro, pixel based games - but as far as we know, never before has a game been developed entirely with a mixture of both art styles, from beginning to end.
    Laziness is a feature!
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, those screenshots are amazing... there's like two or three different resolutions going on in there. It really captures that 'oh **** I can't find any matching tilesets **** it who cares' feeling of an RPGmaker game but I don't think they were going for that.

Anyway that's my contractually obliged cynicism out of the way. Back to ignoring this before the term '16-bit' loses all meaning.
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    This is one to watch when it comes out. Could be fun, I love my 16 bit RPG's.

-Kel
    edited November 2012
    The Doomhammer said:
    Yeah, those screenshots are amazing... there's like two or three different resolutions going on in there. It really captures that 'oh **** I can't find any matching tilesets **** it who cares' feeling of an RPGmaker game but I don't think they were going for that.

Anyway that's my contractually obliged cynicism out of the way. Back to ignoring this before the term '16-bit' loses all meaning.
    You pretty much captured why I'm only willing to pay 10€ for it. If it was a real "Shining" game it would be a different story.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    thinking about going for $15 and hope it works on ubuntu...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited November 2012
    Apparently all versions are going to include the original, 100% 16-bit versions of the game that can be unlocked by finding a special item very early on. For those cynics out there who absolutely must have their 16-bit graphics pure and unspoiled by monstrous modern technology :P
    Follow me on Twitter
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    In for $15.
    edited November 2012
    omegabyte said:
    Apparently all versions are going to include the original, 100% 16-bit versions of the game that can be unlocked by finding a special item very early on. For those cynics out there who absolutely must have their 16-bit graphics pure and unspoiled by monstrous modern technology :P
    Well, they should put in an item that makes everything HD as well. I don't care about pure, unspoiled 16-bit graphics, if anything the 16-bit graphics are spoiling the nice HD backgrounds. I just don't think the clash of art styles work at all.

I'm not going to back this on kickstarter, but I might pick it up in the future if I ever hear feedback I trust more positive than 'it's a bit boring', and they don't in the meantime decide they're only going to release on a floppy disc or something.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    They're in HD from the start. You need to find the special item to activate 16-bit mode.

The Genesis and Dreamcast versions have only the 16-bit mode. Neither of those are available for $15.
    edited November 2012
    I know, I meant one that made the non-HD parts HD as well. It was a not-funny joke.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I agree with you, Mr. Hammer. If the Kickstarter gets funded, perhaps the fans will convince them to make some nice HD sprites, too.
    edited November 2012
    I personally think HD looks really ugly most of the time. If I think of all those re-released games for XBLA in HD, all of them looked much better in their classic 16-bit retro look. Except maybe Rez. For example Half-Minute Hero looks sooooooo much better with classic graphics.

On the other hand going by those screenshots linked to in the interview (see other thread), those backgrounds look actually pretty neat. The sprites are not made HD though? That's really weird.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one not digging the 16bit sprites on HD backgrounds. I honestly wonder why they thought that was a good idea.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I think the sprites on the HD background is a rather wonderful effect, but I don't particularly like all of the backgrounds themselves - some elements just look a little too smooth, like flash visuals...

IMO they should try to ensure that all of the background elements are as textured as possible, like the backgrounds in Bastion.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm a little worried they bit off a little more than they chew. The game itself was 2 years late, and now they are producing a new version for several different platforms? Xbox 360, PC, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast, Android, Ouya, and Wii U. Plus movies, director's cuts, and all the rest. No dates listed for some of it, but Dec 2013 for most?
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    My goodness, this is a bad game. I started playing it right around the time I posted the above concern and I am only 12 hours in. I finally just called it quits.

Watermelon games mission was to create a retro RPG on an old system. What they ended up creating was a retro BAD RPG on an old system. Not Lunar or PS II, this game is a homage to Tecmo: SOS or D&D Order of the Griffon.

My main complaint? The battle system. It is so slooooooow.... There is a little delay between every thing that happens, and 5 characters and 4-5 enemies per battle those little delays add up. And spells that effect every character apply damage one at a time, slowly.

And I have spent the last 2 hours fighting the same 3 monsters in about 3 different arrangements. Hours and hours of fighting the same monsters that use the same attacks.

And you know that little joke that designers do where they make you take a huge detour and wind up giving you a potion? Well the Watermelon folks must really like this joke.

I'm not the type of person that complains about elements of games like limited inventory space, lack of inns, or annoying status effects (poison that confuses you and makes your character use items.) But when you put all of the above and more in the same game it is just too much.

With all the excitement around the Kickstarter campaign, there are going to be a lot of disappointed gamers this Christmas. Hopefully they will fix some of these issues and reimagine the game for the HD release.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    Closing this thread as further discussion of playing the game would be better suited to the Role Playing Games section of the forum.
This discussion has been closed.