If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Home Gaming

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited November 2012 in Latest Updates
For home RPGs, what's your platform of choice?
PC
Wii
PS3
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Before I vote, does this refer only to the console itself or also to the available of good RPGs?

For example if I think the 360 is most suited to play RPGs, but the Wii has better RPGs available, should I vote 360 or Wii?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2012
    I chose the PS3, but that's because I've been playing more RPGs on it than anywhere else as of right now.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2012
    Like Rya said, this is a bit of an ambiguous question. Are we allowed to include backwards compatibility? Is the question asking us which system we spend the most time on, or which one has the better games? What if we'd rather play on the PS3 because we don't want to experience another 360 hardware issue but the games are exclusive or simply unavailable to rent on the PS3?

PS3 would be the winner for me if we counted most of the above scenarios. However, I interpret the poll to be something along the lines of which system do you prefer for current generation RPGs. The answer I'd pick is the Xbox360, because it has or held exclusivity at one point to some of my favorite titles while still granting me access to all the RPGs I'd really want to play from the PS3 aside from Tales of Graces F.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    dudes, it's a sidebar poll that we switched just for the sake of having new poll. pick your thing and wait for the thread to derail into the tiresome rote of the 7th console war.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Another prime example of overthinking something.

My console of choice is the 360. Because it's the only current gen console I have. And that's what I play nearly all of my RPG's on. It may not be the best choice for RPG's, although that's become less black and white in the last year, but that's not really the question.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    360. I find I only have a smattering of games for the Wii (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem), and I never picked up the PS3 due to the majority of the games I was interested in being on the Xbox as well. No PC gaming - I want to relax on the couch, not be behind the computer MORE when I come home from work!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I voted 360 because my PC situation is rather unique. My PC is hooked up to my TV in my den, and I play PC games with an Xbox 360 controller.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited November 2012
    Even if it's just a sidebar poll the question should still be clear. =p

Oh well, I'll just evaluate all system:
    360 - I like to play RPG on it and there are also plenty of good RPGs available for it, even on XBLA.
    PS3 - I only really like Tales of Graces on it (and some old PSX classics like Arc The Lad), but don't really like to play my RPGs on it. I see PS3 more suitable for online play because you don't have to pay a monthly fee unlike 360. So by default I'd always buy games for 360, but if it has online functionality, I'd go for PS3 instead.
    Wii - Has the best games this generation, however, most of them aren't RPGs. Also the controls on the Wii are awful. Even if you get a classic controller, it's a pretty horrible controller.
    PC - I like to play my MMORPGs here because it's easiest to type messages. Otherwise I prefer consoles due to better gamepad support.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    For RPGs now my preferred system is the PS3, the 360 still gets most of the non-RPGs (sports games, Forza, Halo) having previously been the RPG system of choice when Vesperia, Magna Carta II etc. were floating around on it. While the Wii does include Xenoblade, it doesn't exactly have many of them. My laptop is rubbish so gets used mostly for Football Manager (unless I get an RPG to review that doesn't require high specs to enjoy fully)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    First of all, Xenoblade.

Second, when it comes right down to it, I've spent more time playing RPGs on the Wii than the others, and those hours were more quality hours than those spent on the others. Plus the Wii gave me backward compatibility access to the GameCube, a console I never owned. Between Baten Kaitos, Symphonia, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Arc Rise Fantasia, Xenoblade, and Last Story, the other consoles don't have quite enough to pull ahead.

Then again, maybe more hours spent with the others will change my mind. I'll be playing catch-up with this gen for a few years yet, as I've got a depressing backlog of games on all three of the options I didn't vote for. But then again, I predict none will exceed the experience of Xenoblade by itself; and even with XB out of the equation, there were just too many good-to-great experiences had on the Wii for its more technically powerful rivals to overtake it.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    For JRPGs? Playstation
    For WRPGs? PC

Hmm. Of course, that "Playstation" is more like PS2. Haven't been nearly as many console (compared to handheld) JRPGs this gen.

(do not have a Wii, 360, or any handheld.)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Honestly, if it weren't for the Wii's unique controls, I'd probably buy one on the cheap just to download classic Nintendo and SNES titles, maybe even full Wii releases if they put those games on their network.

*lol Nyx Quest. Bet she'd like that.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    You don't need to waggle for those; get a classic controller (or plug in a Gamecube one)
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    PS3 for JRPGs
    PC for WRPGs
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Question for people who said PS3 for JRPGs and PC for WRPGs... would you say PC for everything if those JRPGs came out for PC? (Usually the WRPGs are multi-platform, and you've chosen PC for them, which is why I'm curious.)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited November 2012
    But many JRPGs aren't designed to be played with mouse so the controls will suck by default. Think of Dungeon Siege 3.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Ocelot said:
    Question for people who said PS3 for JRPGs and PC for WRPGs... would you say PC for everything if those JRPGs came out for PC? (Usually the WRPGs are multi-platform, and you've chosen PC for them, which is why I'm curious.)
    Heck yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited November 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    But many JRPGs aren't designed to be played with mouse so the controls will suck by default. Think of Dungeon Siege 3.
    90% of PC games these days include native controller support. That's a non-issue.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited November 2012
    I disagree. There's a HUUUUGE difference between a game that is designed to be played with gamepad and a game that has gamepad support.

For example compare Phantasy Star Online with any other MMORPG with gamepad support. Completely different worlds.
    edited November 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    I disagree. There's a HUUUUGE difference between a game that is designed to be played with gamepad and a game that has gamepad support.

For example compare Phantasy Star Online with any other MMORPG with gamepad support. Completely different worlds.
    Yeaaaa, you missed my point. When I say native controller support, I mean identical to console version controls. As an example, the gamepad controls for Borderlands 2 are exactly the same as the Xbox 360 version. The same goes for almost any other game out there. It's not like it was 10 years ago, the rise of console popularity over the last decade has pretty much made it a standard feature in recent years. Only a handful of multiplatform PC games don't include it now.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Kiralyn said:
    For JRPGs? Playstation
    For WRPGs? PC

Hmm. Of course, that "Playstation" is more like PS2. Haven't been nearly as many console (compared to handheld) JRPGs this gen.

(do not have a Wii, 360, or any handheld.)

Yep this is pretty much me. Right now I been playing most PC games (be it MMO's, throwback rpgs, etc) than any other system. In fact, I haven't really played my PS3 in about 3 months or so...
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited November 2012
    For new RPGs, PS3.
    For retro gaming, Wii.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Same goes for me about PS3 for JRPGs and PC for WRPGs, but I'd prefer to play everything on the PC if it was possible. With a gaming PC and a PS3, you don't miss out on many releases, so I've never even considered buying a 360. The Wii barely even registers due to the lack of good RPGs until very recently. The Wii U launch is probably a good time to purchase a cheap Wii to play the good RPGs that finally arrived, but motion controls don't appeal much to me. Except in special circumstances, they're a sort of awkward hybrid of the superb precision of a mouse/keyboard setup and the simplicity of a traditional console controller. Most of the time, I'd rather have one or the other.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I keep forgetting the Wii has motion controls. It's been so long since I've played a game not using the Wii Classic Controller, though I seem to recall being able to reorganize the inventory in Chocobo's Dungeon by shaking the controller. What're you looking at playing on the Wii?
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited November 2012
    Results!
    PS3 849 63.03%
    PC 250 18.56%
    360 173 12.84%
    Wii 75 5.57%
    Total Votes 1347
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited November 2012
    I really don't get why so many people favour the PS3 over 360.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    More of a selection of genres, and you can download old PS2 and PS1 games to play on it. That would be my guess as to why, anyway, as 360 still has better online play.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • ZeraseZerase Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    More of a selection of genres, and you can download old PS2 and PS1 games to play on it. That would be my guess as to why, anyway, as 360 still has better online play.
    This would definitely be the reason. I also like the Playstation controller better in general and find it better for fighting games than the Xbox controller. I don't do online play on consoles so the 360 being better at that isn't a factor.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Rya.Reisender said:
    Can't think of any games I'd want to play on the 360, beyond a couple of XBLA rereleases (Radiant Silvergun & Virtual On).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.